Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
10-21-2017, 08:31 PM - 1 Like   #41266
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I read them all to my stepsons at bedtime when they were little (long time sgo, I'm a granddad now).

I even attempted different voices for the characters, leading my wife to claim the ritual was as much for my enjoyment as theirs.
I still read Asterix. Brilliant books.

10-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #41267
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our local bakery supplies bread for all the supermarkets in the district and, and also makes such items as bagels for McDonalds. So, if you go in most any day you can buy 6 bagels for $4 or 18 for $10, from the bakery office. There's no fresher than that!
10-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #41268
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Will do.
I'll also check for some nice "bottoms" in leggings for you, and me, while I'm there.
Besides their prices, I like the size of the store. I was in and out in 15 minutes the other day with 17 items in my cart, $28 worth.
About 95% of what I buy is found around the outside perimeter, and around the produce area.
Yep, 95% of what I buy is also on the perimeter. Makes shopping easy. I will miss my Aldi shopping, it has been one of my biggest pleasures the past couple of years. Sending Mrs Rupert down there is not the same...she hates grocery shopping...but loves to shop for clothes, shoes, handbags, cosmetics and assorted other junk.

Regards!
10-21-2017, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #41269
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're a lucky, lucky man if you have access to fresh bread.
Here in Pierre the bread is a week old when it hits the shelves, according to the day code on it. That means that if you buy a loaf on shopping day, assuming you weren't out of bread completely, it will be somewhere near a week and a half old by the time you open it.
I'm absolutely convinced that the distributors deliver fresh bread to Rapid City and Sioux Falls, pick up the week old bread off of the shelves and deliver it to pierre.
I alternate between loving and hating this place. On the one hand, we don't get fresh bread; on the other I don't know anywhere else I could have a casual conversation with the Governor while out for dinner with my wife as happend two nights ago.
You should open up a bakery there.

10-21-2017, 10:44 PM   #41270
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Will do.
I'll also check for some nice "bottoms" in leggings for you, and me, while I'm there.
Besides their prices, I like the size of the store. I was in and out in 15 minutes the other day with 17 items in my cart, $28 worth.
About 95% of what I buy is found around the outside perimeter, and around the produce area.

Do you mean it is not 'stupid big', to use a teenager's form of expression?
10-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #41271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Agreed.

There is certain stuff afoot at my work, and at shift start recently we were advised of it by our superiors. We were also asked to keep it on the QT.

Five minutes after walking out of the meeting a coworker from another part of the program asked if we had heard the news.

Doing my part, I shrugged and asked, "What news?"

By first break it was the primary topic of conversation.

Funny how that works.

But even if they did not tell you anything there would be someone who had noticed the boss called to a meeting resulting in a cancellation with them, or something like that, and the rumours would start.
10-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #41272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You're a lucky, lucky man if you have access to fresh bread.
Here in Pierre the bread is a week old when it hits the shelves, according to the day code on it. That means that if you buy a loaf on shopping day, assuming you weren't out of bread completely, it will be somewhere near a week and a half old by the time you open it.
I'm absolutely convinced that the distributors deliver fresh bread to Rapid City and Sioux Falls, pick up the week old bread off of the shelves and deliver it to pierre.
I alternate between loving and hating this place. On the one hand, we don't get fresh bread; on the other I don't know anywhere else I could have a casual conversation with the Governor while out for dinner with my wife as happend two nights ago.

Have they not thought of the idea of having a little bakery in the shop, so always the bread is newly baked. They can ship in 'kit bread' which only needs to be put in the oven for the time written on the instructions so anyone in the shop could make it work. Then they could market 'fresh bread' or 'freshly baked bread', depending on the fine detail of the law there.

Similar problem here in England. It seems the shop waits till the milk is almost out of date before they bother to put it on the shelf for sale. So someone is having a big warehouse somewhere storing it for most of its shelf life, and we end up paying for that too in the price we pay.

Australian shops usually have milk with 10 or more days on the shelf. No-one wants to pay to have a big fridge to store it in, so better to make it, ship it, sell it. And the supermarkets get over the shipping frequency problem by arranging that the stock control work is done by an independent contractor, who may even be the owner of the milk until it is sold in the shop - so they would pay costs for disposal of old stuff too.

10-22-2017, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #41273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
12 hours and no posts?

Beef, it's what's for dinner!

10-22-2017, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #41274
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

12 hours and no posts?

Did someone mention my favorite meat?

10-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #41275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Did someone mention my favorite meat?
I miss Gabe and Walker, but not Falstaff.

10-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #41276
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

12 hours and no posts?

Hey, here too! Well, not in one piece, rather in a casserole (I think it's called in foreignese). Chopped up with potatoes, onion, carrots, crushed tomatoes, a few leaves of laurel, salt, ground pepper, put it all in a casserole with some water, chuck in the oven for a couple of hours - et voilą!
10-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #41277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Hey, here too! Well, not in one piece, rather in a casserole (I think it's called in foreignese). Chopped up with potatoes, onion, carrots, crushed tomatoes, a few leaves of laurel, salt, ground pepper, put it all in a casserole with some water, chuck in the oven for a couple of hours - et voilą!
Sounds like our beef stew, but ours is usually cooked longer due to the tougher cuts of beef used.
Slow cookers work great.
Not my pic:

10-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #41278
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like our beef stew, but ours is usually cooked longer due to the tougher cuts of beef used.
Slow cookers work great.
Yeah, that looks very similar. Didn't find any tough cuts, I'm afraid ...which made it a rather expensive stew. But hey, as long as it tastes good - and it does. Cooked it for closer to three hours to take the edge off the tomatoes. Worked very well.
10-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #41279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Yeah, that looks very similar. Didn't find any tough cuts, I'm afraid ...which made it a rather expensive stew. But hey, as long as it tastes good - and it does. Cooked it for closer to three hours to take the edge off the tomatoes. Worked very well.
Sounds better than my steaks right now.
I'll be grilling in a drizzly rain, wind, and falling temps. But my grills are on the deck right outside our kitchen.
Run out light the coals, come in and prep the steaks, back out and flip them a time or two, done.
10-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #41280
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I miss Gabe and Walker, but not Falstaff.

Falstaff Beer Commercial Gabe & Walker Coin Flip - YouTube
I haven't had a Fallstaff in a long time . . . . . . . .