Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #41401
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
aldi is probably the best bargain in groceries
it also has the worst floor layout of any modern store I've shopped in
Prices are great, the layout is good from a merchandising standpoint....all the treats and goodies are on that long first aisle....and when you come in hungry, they've got you!
Poor people take advantage.....smart wealthy people do the same. I see plenty of both at my Aldis....more poor, but still plenty of very upper class. A look in the parking lot at the Mercedes and BMWs, Cadillacs and Lincolns, Lexus and Audis can tell you who is inside.

Good place to shop......the selection is not the largest by far, but for basics and a few specialty items it is superb. I miss it already!

Regards!

10-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #41402
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
aldi is probably the best bargain in groceries
it also has the worst floor layout of any modern store I've shopped in

the smart poor folks that have figured they can get twice the value at half the price do indeed clog the aisles on the two days when the government checks hit the bank
the church people come en masse Saturday morning for whatever dinner supplies their pantries need

the rest of the time it is pretty clear sailing
though I do wish they would ban the use of cellphones

Are you worried some one might put up pictures of you looking like an Aldi exhibit, kind of like the Walmart exhibits?

Oh, Oh, sorry.
10-28-2017, 11:57 PM   #41403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Prices are great, the layout is good from a merchandising standpoint....all the treats and goodies are on that long first aisle....and when you come in hungry, they've got you!
Poor people take advantage.....smart wealthy people do the same. I see plenty of both at my Aldis....more poor, but still plenty of very upper class. A look in the parking lot at the Mercedes and BMWs, Cadillacs and Lincolns, Lexus and Audis can tell you who is inside.

Good place to shop......the selection is not the largest by far, but for basics and a few specialty items it is superb. I miss it already!

Regards!

Merchandising - the art of parting punters from their loot.

Something I find annoying with shops I go to is the differences between branches - spread the stuff out differently, as well as not having all of exactly the same things there. Went to Costco in Leicester (pronounced Lester) on Wednesday. Stuff laid out completely differently, so really hard to find things I normally buy, and some things on the list I wanted were not there at all. The best of the Costcos I have been to in UK is Milton Keynes, the one I go to most often is Reading, and have been to Birmingham and Coventry and Bristol. Bristol is hard to find using the GPS (Satnav here), and the three north of M40 are not so good. That may be to follow the housing up there which looks quite a bit lower quality. I get to these places when I go somewhere nearby for work.

Wednesday went to Nottingham. Made me wonder, when will England put a picture of Robin Hood on one of their bank notes? I can imagine it being not too long till Australia will have a note with a picture of Ned Kelly.
10-29-2017, 01:52 AM   #41404
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
So, is a poorly managed for-profit that does not make a profit a not-for-profit?
Yes.

But.

Not for long.

10-29-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #41405
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

though I do wish they would ban the use of cellphones
Something needs to be done.

The zombies are everywhere.

Stumbling along, head tilted downward, eyes fixed upon a tiny screen. Suddenly, they stop. No reason. No consideration for where they may be, and often right in the aisle where everyone is walking.

When they do that in front of me, I ask them, "Do you drive like that too?"

Such inconsiderate cads.
10-29-2017, 02:22 AM   #41406
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Stumbling along, head tilted downward, eyes fixed upon a tiny screen. Suddenly, they stop. No reason. No consideration for where they may be, and often right in the aisle where everyone is walking.
Texting and driving seems to be popular here. Scary!
10-29-2017, 03:58 AM - 1 Like   #41407
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Texting and driving seems to be popular here. Scary!
Oh yes. I have seen people running red lights and coming around corners on the wrong side of the road, being preoccupied with their phones. I was also nearly run over at a zebra crossing once. The driver never saw me, just went on blindly down the road.

10-29-2017, 04:40 AM   #41408
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
It isn't even just phones. Either I've learned a lot as I age or people in general just seem more oblivious to their surroundings and the people around them. Maybe they are or maybe they are not, but it sure seems like so many people are self-centered and think everyone else is watching out and waiting for them. Good example, a few weeks ago a woman was so eager to get to the yard sale next door, she parked her car across my driveway as I was walking from my door towards my car. Apparently stopping before my drive and walking an extra 10m was too much bother.
10-29-2017, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #41409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Merchandising - the art of parting punters from their loot.

Something I find annoying with shops I go to is the differences between branches - spread the stuff out differently, as well as not having all of exactly the same things there. Went to Costco in Leicester (pronounced Lester) on Wednesday. Stuff laid out completely differently, so really hard to find things I normally buy, and some things on the list I wanted were not there at all. The best of the Costcos I have been to in UK is Milton Keynes, the one I go to most often is Reading, and have been to Birmingham and Coventry and Bristol. Bristol is hard to find using the GPS (Satnav here), and the three north of M40 are not so good. That may be to follow the housing up there which looks quite a bit lower quality. I get to these places when I go somewhere nearby for work.

Wednesday went to Nottingham. Made me wonder, when will England put a picture of Robin Hood on one of their bank notes? I can imagine it being not too long till Australia will have a note with a picture of Ned Kelly.
Costco, in particular, seems to stock their stores on the basis of prevailing demographics

---------- Post added 10-29-17 at 05:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Something needs to be done.

Such inconsiderate cads.
a couple of days ago I picked one up and moved him
he didn't seem to notice until he was being swung out of the way
which is far gentler than my wife driving the cart's bumper into their ankles with a snarled...excuse me!

Circumstantial Awareness Deficit Syndrome can be cured
10-29-2017, 06:11 AM - 3 Likes   #41410
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Many of those are hoping to grab themselves a coveted Otis Award. After all, they do live in a "circle of confusion".

10-29-2017, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #41411
Veteran Member

When Mrs Bob is leaving for church, choir, a bunco game, etc. I tell her to be careful, have fun, I love you.
When she will be going in or near the big city I add the reminder "Be aware of your environment."

Stores here have stop signs at entrance crosswalks and I'll bet 9 out of 10 people walk in or out with eyes forward, or looking at their cell phone.
That's when I wish I had a semi's air horn on my truck.
10-29-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #41412
Veteran Member

in an effort to combat CADS I suggest we create an environment where a level of paranoia is required to survive

hire crews of axe murderers to roam the streets
release apex predators from the zoo at random times

we discussed non-lethal alternatives but it seems lessons aren't learned without serious consequences

we may have gone too far with this...what do you think?

BTW, bob, you can get air horns for your truck...the neighbor has them under the hood of his dodge ram
10-29-2017, 11:59 AM   #41413
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Many of those are hoping to grab themselves a coveted Otis Award. After all, they do live in a "circle of confusion".

Good, the Rupert we love is still here, presenting Otis' view of the world.
10-29-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #41414
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I was also nearly run over at a zebra crossing once. The driver never saw me, just went on blindly down the road.
Could be your stripes were oriented the wrong way.

10-29-2017, 12:02 PM   #41415
Pentaxian

in an effort to combat CADS I suggest we create an environment where a level of paranoia is required to survive

hire crews of axe murderers to roam the streets
release apex predators from the zoo at random times

we discussed non-lethal alternatives but it seems lessons aren't learned without serious consequences

we may have gone too far with this...what do you think?

BTW, bob, you can get air horns for your truck...the neighbor has them under the hood of his dodge ram

We go to such effort to make everything so safe that it is hard to have an accident now. Gets us in bad habits of not looking after ourselves.