Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2017, 11:04 PM   #41431
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Busy, thus the long time no see Wrapped up the postgrad in Scotland, now in medical school in Munich. Spending my days looking at things under microscopes and cutting up dead humans to learn anatomy. Exciting times

Did I miss anything important while I was gone? Rupert been eaten by the Squirrel Mafia yet?

Yes, go back and read. You missed a couple of mentions of soccer, that distinguish that brand of football from all the others:
American
Australian
Gaelic
Rugby League
Rugby Union
Soccer

10-30-2017, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #41432
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Jim, have they told you why they can't sort the lung problem? PM me.
Several reasons...but the main factor is the blood clots and the blood thinner that prevent the best procedures available. The pneumonia itself has shrunk somewhat, but still fails to fully respond to treatment. So far my heart has absorbed the stress...but this will not last. Pretty bad situation, but it could be worse......I can think of a million ways to go that are worse.....and all those that have never lived a full and rich life.

Regards!
10-30-2017, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #41433
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jim, Sounds like a great weekend. One of my sons, his wife and kids came for an overnight stay this weekend. Always a great time when family is around. The food always tastes way better too. Not like bacon, but just as good as if it was.

Last edited by gaweidert; 10-30-2017 at 03:47 PM.
10-30-2017, 07:00 AM - 4 Likes   #41434
Veteran Member

Beef bacon (brisket) egg & cheese McBob.
The butter toasted Hawaiian rolls ($1.79 at Aldi) put this thing over the top.

10-30-2017, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #41435
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Several reasons...but the main factor is the blood clots and the blood thinner that prevent the best procedures available.
Jim, please know we're still praying for you, that will never stop.
I admire your attitude, pretty sure mine would not be the same.
10-30-2017, 01:17 PM - 3 Likes   #41436
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Jim, please know we're still praying for you, that will never stop.
I admire your attitude, pretty sure mine would not be the same.
Thank you Bob....it is greatly appreciated...tough times are still ahead.....maybe very tough?

There is no use in being angry, lashing out at the world or anyone in particular.....dying is like being born.....it happens. I realized this very long ago and have adapted my response to it over time. In between being born and dying some wonderful things can happen...or not. I look at the world in general and realize that I have been among the most fortunate ever to inhabit this planet. My bet is that when your time comes you will feel the same way. Few people on earth eat better than you!

Best Regards!
10-30-2017, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #41437
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several reasons...but the main factor is the blood clots and the blood thinner that prevent the best procedures available. The pneumonia itself has shrunk somewhat, but still fails to fully respond to treatment. So far my heart has absorbed the stress...but this will not last. Pretty bad situation, but it could be worse......I can think of a million ways to go that are worse.....and all those that have never lived a full and rich life.

Regards!
Sorry to hear Jim. Still, we'd like to have you in our lives for a bit longer, and in that wish I'm sure I'm not alone. Holding thumbs for you!

10-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #41438
Veteran Member

Few people on earth eat better than you!

Pot of pinto beans and potatoes with onions, fried in an antique cast iron skillet, currently staying warm on the kitchen stove.
Waiting for Mrs Bob to finish playing Christmas carols on the piano, it's her favorite time of the year.

When I was a teen I asked my mom why Christmas doesn't seem so exciting to me anymore?
She said wait until you have kids and it will come back, she was right, as always.

edit, she's moved on to ragtime music, as in Maple Leaf Rag by Scott Joplin.
I did the survey work for his house here in St Louis several years ago, it's now a historic site owned by MO State Parks.

Last edited by robtcorl; 10-30-2017 at 03:36 PM.
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #41439
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry to hear Jim. Still, we'd like to have you in our lives for a bit longer, and in that wish I'm sure I'm not alone. Holding thumbs for you!
Thanks Mark.......I am holding on as long as I can. There will come a point where letting go will be easy...I've seen it many times in my life. A few times lately I have felt myself nearing it. A Rupert Story regarding this might be appropriate...maybe later?

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Pot of pinto beans and potatoes with onions, fried in an antique cast iron skillet, currently staying warm on the kitchen stove.
Sounds so delicious! I love pinto beans. Sometimes they are better than a steak! My appetite is slacking off, so I have had Mrs Rupert make me her style of potato soup.....with ham and carrots. Better than a steak for sure. Drop in some cornbread and shredded cheddar cheese and it beats almost anything!

With cooler weather some really good stew would hit the spot too. Mrs Rupert does superb stew! Maybe soon....

Regards!
10-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #41440
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Mark.......I am holding on as long as I can. There will come a point where letting go will be easy...I've seen it many times in my life. A few times lately I have felt myself nearing it. A Rupert Story regarding this might be appropriate...maybe later?
Don't lose faith Jim. I'm sure they'll get you sorted. Sometimes these things take time.
10-30-2017, 11:09 PM - 2 Likes   #41441
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Jim, it is interesting reading your reflections on the situation. I have seen people who have taken that way before. They are generally the people who have lived a life that was satisfying to them, enjoyed many things, faced this and that, and have no substantial reasons for regrets.

Then there is the approach often shown in the media of 'fight', which does not make much sense since there is no opponent against who to fight.
10-31-2017, 05:12 AM - 2 Likes   #41442
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas

Last edited by Parallax; 10-31-2017 at 05:17 AM.
10-31-2017, 07:27 AM - 5 Likes   #41443
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Jim, it is interesting reading your reflections on the situation. I have seen people who have taken that way before. They are generally the people who have lived a life that was satisfying to them, enjoyed many things, faced this and that, and have no substantial reasons for regrets.

Then there is the approach often shown in the media of 'fight', which does not make much sense since there is no opponent against who to fight.
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas
No right or wrong .....no case is the same.

My Grandad...he was almost 98 and in good physical condition. Took no medications and still had a valid drivers license .His life was slow, but still very active .He enjoyed many things and was fond of trying varied good food on his daily runs to town.
Then he came down with a "summer cold" ...and it got worse. My Dad put him in the hospital and had him checked over completely. His condition appeared to be very good...his organs were all functioning perfectly and his mind was too. The cold subsided and he was fine.......excepting that he had stopped eating.....no appetite and would only "nibble".

Against my loud complaints, my Dad decided to have a feeding tube installed in my Grandad. It was more or less like he was a car my Dad had in the shop...he was never as close to or understood my Grandad as I did. My Grandad went along with it only because he thought it would mean he could go home. Just before the surgical procedure, my Dad told him he would have to go to a Nursing Home for a "few weeks".

i knew it then....and my Grandad told me..."Son, you know that will never happen." I gave him a big hug and said goodbye..because I knew it was. He came through the minor surgery without any problems and the Doc came out and told us how well it went. The Doc went back in to wrap things up and in a few minutes came out and with an ashen look on his face. told us my Grandad had "passed". All indicators were excellent.... blood pressure, heart rate, everything...until they just suddenly went flat.

The Doc was shocked and astounded ...as was my Dad. Me......not at all.

When life is gone, you let it go. You can be heroic, but you can't win. Your energy...what is left .....is best used in other directions. There is no shame in dying.....we all do it. There may be shame in letting your loved ones suffer with you needlessly. Prolonging the inevitable can be almost selfish. I will not do it. There will be no heroic efforts. I'm not sure I can "will myself' to let go like my Grandad did, but I do recall the prayer he prayed just before that surgery.......

These are not fun or lighthearted thoughts on a subject few want to face in a fun thread like this one. My apology, but you are my friends and I am here alone, so I guess I need to "vent' my feelings where I feel most comfortable.

I hope none of you have to face similar circumstances......getting run over by a truck has its advantage. However, if you do ....maybe this will give you some insight into what you will face....and how you will face it.

If you were in my shoes this morning, feeling my condition, misery, and uncertainty.....struggling to breathe and void of any energy or stamina...then you would know my intentions when I wish you a speedy and painless departure when your time comes.

Regards!
10-31-2017, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #41444
Veteran Member

These are not fun or lighthearted thoughts on a subject few want to face in a fun thread like this one. My apology, but you are my friends and I am here alone, so I guess I need to "vent' my feelings where I feel most comfortable.
No apology needed, that's what friends are for.
We saw my dad fight to keep living, prolonging the inevitable to the point that we prayed he would pass.

My brother-in-law was in a similar situation as yours, he had pulmonary fibrosis, most likely from agent orange in Vietnam.
When diagnosed the doctor told him "Soldier you've picked a tough way to go." His condition took him down over the course of about 3 years, down to the point where constant oxygen didn't help.
He didn't fight it, when the time came he let go.

I want to go quick like my grandpa, and my mom, not only for my sake, but also for my family.
10-31-2017, 08:30 AM - 4 Likes   #41445
Veteran Member

Getting my game face on for tonight's trick or treaters.