Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 12:19 PM - 3 Likes   #41521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I just wanted to see if they will actually help when the time comes that I really need them.....I believe they will. The Doc, such a wonderful young lady, said she will do whatever is necessary to make me at ease and as free of pain as possible. I appreciate that!
In our first week we had a three-day module called 'Berufsfelderkundung', which roughly translates to 'exploration of career options'. Professors (who, of course, are all practicing physicians too) from eighteen different medical specialities came in to talk about their field, what it entails, what the work is like, and, of course, tried to get us excited and make a point about why their field is the most exciting and worthwhile. Bar one or two all of the speakers were exceptional, but naturally some talks were more highly anticipated, like surgery, neurology or forensic medicine, and some less, like dermatology, gynaecology ... or palliative medicine.

When the guy presenting the latter came in - John Oliver style glasses, funny suspenders - we were wondering what kind of oddball they'd put in front of us now. Then he gave the best talk of all of them. Fascinating, deep, somewhat philosophical, interspersed with stories of patients he had known, and how they went. Three minutes in we were already hanging on his lips. I particularly remember when he mentioned the famous phrase doctors utter when telling a patient that this is the end: I am sorry, but there is nothing more we can do for you. "It's completely wrong!" he said. "There is so much we can still do for them!"

I'm not the kind of person who is particularly sensitive about most things (I had a big smile on my face today when I squeezed my hand under our cadaver's lung to poke the cardiac apex), but that talk touched me, and I believe pretty much everyone else in the lecture theatre.

I am glad to hear you have such a wonderful doctor, Jim. I doubt I'll go into palliative medicine, but people like her are the kind of doctor I want to be one day.

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 11-03-2017 at 01:43 PM.
11-03-2017, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #41522
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Jumper the Squirrel....the happiest squirrel I have ever seen and I've seen a lot of squirrels!

I've enjoyed many many hours of entertainment from squirrels...and other small creatures. You can learn a lot from observing them .....they are all smarter than we realize.

Regards!
I had a squirrel like that around my place a couple of years ago. I got quite a kick out of his antics. It was like he had ADHD. And for a squirrel that is saying a lot.

Well Jim, if I was there I'd give you a hug if you wouldn't mind a hug from a Yankee.
11-03-2017, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #41523
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I am glad to hear you have such a wonderful doctor, Jim. I doubt I'll go into palliative medicine, but people like her are the kind of doctor I want to be one day.
I hope you can be that kind of doctor.........I hope you "will" be that kind of doctor......it is your call. I bet you will make it!

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well Jim, if I was there I'd give you a hug if you wouldn't mind a hug from a Yankee.
Sure I'd take a big hug....be glad to get it!

We met with the Hospice Care girls this afternoon....will probably sign up with them next week. Very interesting in the things they can do...and do. I will be down to one doctor, the one that is so fantastic.....and will hardly ever have to leave home. Every kind of care, including emergency is available 24/7 right at home. Lots of benefits to this service. Insurance covers 100%.

BTW- Me and Bob...Racer too....we'd be most interested in that gynaecology stuff....that is some pretty interesting stuff......maybe you should check into it deeper?

Regards!
11-03-2017, 06:21 PM - 3 Likes   #41524
Veteran Member

BTW- Me and Bob...Racer too....we'd be most interested in that gynaecology stuff....that is some pretty interesting stuff......maybe you should check into it deeper?
Jim, you are incorrigible!
I like that in a person.

"Just relax, it won't take long," said the gynecologist to his
nervous patient, "haven't you ever been examined like this before?"
"Oh, yeah, but not by a doctor."

What does a gynaecologist do when he feels sentimental?
He looks up an old girlfriend.

What does OB/GYN stand for?
Oh Boy, Got You Naked!

A woman went to the gynecologist, who told her she was in perfect
health, with the body of an eighteen-year-old. She was so excited
she ran home to tell her husband.
"Oh yeah?" he said snidely. "What about your big ass?"
"He didn't say anything about you."

I wanted to get a job as a gynecologist, but I couldn't find an opening.
George Carlin

11-03-2017, 06:27 PM - 2 Likes   #41525
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm going to get weighed.

I wuv getting weighed.
11-03-2017, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #41526
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And you are a moderator!
11-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #41527
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Jim, hard to know what to say. You certainly seem to be positive about where things are. That is a blessing to be able to face this plainly and mater of factly. Keep in communication as long as you can.

11-04-2017, 05:36 AM   #41528
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Looks pretty bright over there.

Only in the last very little while it got bright here. Will be nearly dark, for the night, in three hours.
Sounds a bit like George Carlin doing the Hippy Dippy Weatherman shtick.
11-04-2017, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #41529
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It's original.
The house was actually built by his son Nathan Boone.
Way cool then. I really like architecture, especially ancient or older homes and buildings. Structures that are a testament to man's existence and our abilities to create such beautiful and lasting things.

When you go inside these old buildings they have smells that new ones do not. The sounds they make as you walk through them, the look and feel of the materials, the quality of the craftsmanship that created them. It tells the story of the people who worked so hard to build them.

Today, homes and buildings are created with inferior materials (all too often toxic), and most will never be around as long as these older buildings.
11-04-2017, 06:20 AM - 4 Likes   #41530
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Jim, you are incorrigible!
Here they call it a "Rupert Type".

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Jim, hard to know what to say. You certainly seem to be positive about where things are. That is a blessing to be able to face this plainly and mater of factly. Keep in communication as long as you can.
Well Tim...what you gonna do? Get angry, get sad or mad, make it hard on others, or look it all over realistically and try to leave emotions out of it. Although I do not care for the phrase "it is what it is"....it does seem fitting in this case.
I still have some life in me and will be here as long as I do...and as long as I can maintain my ability to be my "normal self". I still have some fun....I stil l have some joy...and I also have a bottle with a couple of hundred little morphine pills when I need a little lift!
Funny...I would not touch one of those pills for a million$$ under normal conditions......but there is not much to worry about now....even if I became an addict, it wouldn't be for long!

You might think about this....in my "days of need" I have all you guys here to keep me propped up and involved in things (important stuff!) to entertain and encourage. You can hope that when your time comes you will be as fortunate as I am. If you are still around here, you can know you will be by the example that has been provided in this thread.

Should be near 90F and clear today. Hope to get a few K1 shots out my clean windows......yesterday my helper washed all the windows in the house.....sure looks good! If I get any squirrel shots I will post them here...since I know some of you love them!

Regards!
11-04-2017, 06:59 AM - 4 Likes   #41531
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

...I love all you guys too.
You know we love you very much Jim. You are my older brother from a different mother.

11-04-2017, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #41532
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Very lucky indeed!
In retrospect, had I been thinking straight, I should have waited for "her" to bring out the food and bend down to place it on the table for this cell shot.
Sounds innocent enough to me.
That Bud Light looks a bit on the dark side.

More like Negra Modelo.

11-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #41533
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
. . . . . . . gynaecology . . . . . . .
Gyna Ecology?

Sounds like environmental cleanup or something that they do out in Oregon.

Oregon has always lead the way concerning the environment. They even have environmental rules about noise pollution.
11-04-2017, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #41534
Veteran Member

My overdue duck hunting saga. Not Rupert quality, but the best I can do.
It was a dark and stormy night.... no.
It was what duck hunters call a bluebird day, sunny, warm for the time of year, and calm. Nothing to get the birds moving, but being the last day of duck season, and a front predicted to move down during the day, we had to give it a go.
Hunters, me age 31, my brother age 38, and my nephew in his late teens. Timeline, December, 1978.
Place, Mississippi River. Boat, 14' semi-vee Alumacraft (a very sturdy little boat). Motor, 10 HP Mercury. Duck blind, on the downstream end of a small island. Decoys, about two dozen with heavy lead weights.

Shirt sleeve weather to start, by midday the wind started to pick up, and the temperature started to drop.
Mid-afternoon brought freezing temps, large white caps, and growing concern. The decoys were rolling side to side and and building up with ice.
We watched two hunters, in a big john boat, heading upstream, each wave sending the front end so high we expected it to flip over backwards. Both sitting in the back end, not smart in our book.

By late afternoon we bagged the decoys and did a little test run to see how well the boat rode the waves, without nephew aboard.
Rough ride, but seemed doable enough.
To lighten the load we hid the decoys on the island, loaded the boat with our gear, and headed out.

I ran the motor, brother sat in the front, nephew mid seat, both of them facing me since we were going upstream against the wind.
The boat would ride up each wave, then splash down hard sending spray into the air. My mustache was ice covered in no time, nephew used his bandana to mop my eyes free of ice and water.
I took the waves mostly straight on, with a slight angle towards shore, any more of an angle would have flipped us.
Minutes seemed like hours until we neared shore and calm waters. We all let out a yell at the top of our lungs.

Later we heard about hunters downstream being rescued after capsizing, all gear, including guns, lost.
In retrospect we should have stayed put in the blind until it calmed, even if it took all night.
We didn't know it at the time, but later in the evening the Coast Guard came around checking blinds for hunters.
No ducks were harmed that day. Decoys recovered the following spring. Recalling the ordeal still gives me shudders.

Last edited by robtcorl; 11-04-2017 at 07:43 AM.
11-04-2017, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #41535
Veteran Member

You aaabsolutely wouldn't One of the two or so talks no one really enjoyed. The lecturer started off telling us what a fascinating field it is and how she hoped that by the end of the talk more of us would be interested in a career in gynaecology, then proceeded to spend about half an hour showing us pictures of every possible STD, complete with sprawling mushroom like growths down there. Everyone was pretty grossed out. When at the end she reiterated her hope of some of us choosing her field, we were all staring at each other with a "Yeah ... no." look on our faces.

I think you two would have rather enjoyed the talk in Forensic Medicine - loads of pictures of murdered people and we had to guess how they died. Some of them, interestingly enough, not actually murdered after all (despite it appearing to be pretty obviously the case at first). Also pretty interesting were genetics (potential new therapies by freely editing the genome), ophthalmology (loads of videos of eye surgery, some procedures as short as three minutes or so, but with huuuge results, literally making the blind see again), emergency medicine and orthopaedics.

As for the latter, you wouldn't believe what goes on in orthopaedic ORs. They say that surgery is more of a handcraft than a science anyway, but orthopaedics takes it to another level. Here's an example - enjoy at your own risk