Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108820 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 08:21 AM - 2 Likes   #41536
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I really like architecture, especially ancient or older homes and buildings.
Here's more on the Boone site moved there from various places in MO.
This one is called a dogtrot, two log cabins joined:

This one was a post office built in the mid 1800's in Schluersburg, MO. They "reinterpret it as surveyor's shop to represent the livelihood of both Nathan and Daniel Boone"

The Callaway house built between 1811 and 1812 by Daniel's son-in-law in Marthasville, MO.
"Marthasville was described in the gazetteer of Missouri in 1883 as; “First settled in 1801 by Colonel Daniel Boone and his son-in-law, Flanders Callaway, and known then as Callaway’s Post, located near the Missouri River, in the southeastern part of Warren County."

11-04-2017, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #41537
Veteran Member

Today, homes and buildings are created with inferior materials (all too often toxic), and most will never be around as long as these older buildings.
Many of them will not be around for quite as long, but that doesn't mean they are inferior. Actually, the fact that modern buildings may not last as long is because their construction is superior in almost every aspect to older ones. They have better insulation, better noise cancelling, they are more environmentally friendly (don't require as many natural resources to build) and so on. Think about medieval stone houses and how hard they were to heat despite having massively thick walls - today's houses have much thinner walls, but superior insulation.

It's not that hard stacking up a pile of big rocks that lasts a thousand years, but making a habitable dwelling with modern insulation, cabling, ventilation etc. is a bit trickier

That doesn't mean that I don't love ancient architecture, that I don't marvel at aqueducts (the pipes of which were lead and thus gave entire cities latent lead poisoning ) or Roman baths, of course.
11-04-2017, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #41538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Many of them will not be around for quite as long, but that doesn't mean they are inferior. Actually, the fact that modern buildings may not last as long is because their construction is superior in almost every aspect to older ones. They have better insulation, better noise cancelling, they are more environmentally friendly (don't require as many natural resources to build) and so on. Think about medieval stone houses and how hard they were to heat despite having massively thick walls - today's houses have much thinner walls, but superior insulation.

It's not that hard stacking up a pile of big rocks that lasts a thousand years, but making a habitable dwelling with modern insulation, cabling, ventilation etc. is a bit trickier

That doesn't mean that I don't love ancient architecture, that I don't marvel at aqueducts (the pipes of which were lead and thus gave entire cities latent lead poisoning ) or Roman baths, of course.
And don't forget old paint with enough lead for several car batteries. Unlikely, however, that the original paint is still there, especially on the outside. Entropy is patient and relentless.
11-04-2017, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #41539
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
You aaabsolutely wouldn't One of the two or so talks no one really enjoyed. The lecturer started off telling us what a fascinating field it is and how she hoped that by the end of the talk more of us would be interested in a career in gynaecology, then proceeded to spend about half an hour showing us pictures of every possible STD, complete with sprawling mushroom like growths down there. Everyone was pretty grossed out. When at the end she reiterated her hope of some of us choosing her field, we were all staring at each other with a "Yeah ... no." look on our faces.
I have enjoyed a lifelong pursuit as an amateur OBGYN. Albeit with a very limited practice of hand picked patients.

I think you two would have rather enjoyed the talk in Forensic Medicine - loads of pictures of murdered people and we had to guess how they died. Some of them, interestingly enough, not actually murdered after all (despite it appearing to be pretty obviously the case at first). Also pretty interesting were genetics (potential new therapies by freely editing the genome), ophthalmology (loads of videos of eye surgery, some procedures as short as three minutes or so, but with huuuge results, literally making the blind see again), emergency medicine and orthopaedics.

As for the latter, you wouldn't believe what goes on in orthopaedic ORs. They say that surgery is more of a handcraft than a science anyway, but orthopaedics takes it to another level. Here's an example - enjoy at your own risk

Surgeon hammers nails OUT of patients knee in bizarre video - YouTube
That's pretty brutal. Reminds me of many times as a heavy truck and heavy equipment mechanic trying to free a stuck and rusted bearing or other chassis component.

I watched a full video of a total hip arthroplasty just prior to getting my left hip replaced 8 years ago. I thought that was brutal. Your video shows it pales in comparison. Still, the carving a path to the joint, dislocating that joint, removing the femoral head, reaming the femur, pounding the stem into the bone, using a hemispherical cheesegrater on a hand held drill to carve the pelvis in preparation of the acetabular cup and then more hammering and pounding to insert it into the pelvic structure, final assembly of the new joint with the ball and socket, then the cleanup and stitching up of the wound can be a bit much for the uninitiated.

I watched the video several times, and at some point I lost the urge to recoil at the apparent brutality of it, and saw it much like the trucks and heavy equipment I worked on.

11-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #41540
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I built my home with concrete. It would be nice to know it will be around for hundreds of years, but I won't live long enough to know.

We used the ICF system for the exterior walls. With a well built full basement that is sealed and dry, and proper attic ventilation the structure is dry, and should last indefinitely.

My only concern is the river the home sits next to doesn't decide to change course and wash the land away. It is about 50 to 60 meters to the top of the bank, which is about 20 meters above the mean level of the river, and the river itself is another 15 to 20 meters away from the top of the bank. Feels like a good distance now, but when the river swells from autumn rains and spring snow melt it sometimes rises 30 feet or so in the canyon. The hydraulic forces of that much water are immense, and awe inspiring to watch.

A little scary too.
11-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #41541
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

This one was a post office built in the mid 1800's in Schluersburg, MO. They "reinterpret it as surveyor's shop to represent the livelihood of both Nathan and Daniel Boone"

The Callaway house built between 1811 and 1812 by Daniel's son-in-law in Marthasville, MO.
"Marthasville was described in the gazetteer of Missouri in 1883 as; “First settled in 1801 by Colonel Daniel Boone and his son-in-law, Flanders Callaway, and known then as Callaway’s Post, located near the Missouri River, in the southeastern part of Warren County."
I notice some have gutters and downspouts. Aren't those devices from the 20th century?
11-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #41542
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
And don't forget old paint with enough lead for several car batteries. Unlikely, however, that the original paint is still there, especially on the outside. Entropy is patient and relentless.
When I noticed the peeling paint it reminded me of a commercial for Sherwin Williams from many years ago, where they touted the fact that they were the only paint to be selected as good enough to paint some historic building(s).

Nothing is forever.

Someday, people will unearth the remains of civilization as we know it today, and try and figure out our society.

11-04-2017, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #41543
Veteran Member

I notice some have gutters and downspouts. Aren't those devices from the 20th century?
I suspect they were added to help preserve the structures.
11-04-2017, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #41544
Veteran Member

I have enjoyed a lifelong pursuit as an amateur OBGYN. Albeit with a very limited practice of hand picked patients.
Practice makes perfect, it's something you have to get a feel for.
11-04-2017, 09:44 AM - 1 Like   #41545
Veteran Member

a little older than that....History Of Rain Gutters | The SpoutOff?

I did see a cabin restoration that had gutters adzed from half-round timbers
11-04-2017, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #41546
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I found groinacology slightly less appealing than proctology.
11-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #41547
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I found groinacology slightly less appealing than proctology.
I'd think the opposite would be the case.
11-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #41548
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Zero trick-or-treaters this year. Usually we get at least one who grew up in the neighborhood, but was mentally challenged. He came for treats last year although he was, if I calculate correctly, about 37. Not sure whether he realized it was time to quit or if his father spoke to him about it.
Must have been this kid.

11-04-2017, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #41549
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Recalling the ordeal still gives me shudders.
Good story Bob.....not quite as scary as Ricky's mom walking in on him......but scary enough that you would never forget it. How many time do we come oh so close to the end and get lucky......or have an angel on our shoulder? Thanks for the story...I do love stories of others, all lives are interesting and it is amazing how much alike we all really are.

You aaabsolutely wouldn't One of the two or so talks no one really enjoyed.
Mr Fox.....you disappoint in your appraisal of me and Bob....Racer too. We would never allow our staff to make an appointment for any damsel in distress that was less than a #10 and cleaner than an autoclaved scalpel. That you would think otherwise is proof you do not understand our high standards of depravity.

I was 5 and she was 4....she lived next door...our mom's were coffee friends.....we liked to play together. We liked to play doctor and nurse. I didn't have a word for it, but I knew that "gynaecology" stuff was what I wanted to explore...and I did! It all worked out well until I had to "show her mine". She was outraged that I "had one" and she didn't......she went crying to her mom.....who was having coffee with my mom...and all hell broke out. Her mom, a wonderful and earthly woman was an only girl with 5 brothers....none of this was a shock to her......just kids s doing what kids do. My mom.....I was lucky I didn't die before I got back home next door.
So this was the forbidden fruit of life? ....I was sure I needed to check it out at every opportunity, and I think I mostly did......with the same caution I used to handle the snakes I caught. Only later in life did I learn that females were much more dangerous than any snake I could ever encounter...and ten times more sneaky and cunning.

Regards!

---------- Post added 11-04-17 at 02:32 PM ----------

Mr Bob.....you know, you are pretty damn good with that camera...those are excellent shots. Is it your camera or Mrs Bobs'? Who shoots the most? I tried to get Mrs Rupert interested in photography several years ago, but it never "took". All her spare time is dedicated to her deaf work.

Too bad, she was a natural talent shooter.....at Lacie's wedding I shot, Mrs Rupert got some of the best shots with her little Fuji X10.....like this one.

Regards!

Maybe I'd better get away from picture/gear talk? My apology to those offended!
11-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #41550
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds a bit like George Carlin doing the Hippy Dippy Weatherman shtick.

I was having lunch late, after a meeting that went longer than expected. So it was abut 1400.