Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #41551
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
You aaabsolutely wouldn't One of the two or so talks no one really enjoyed. The lecturer started off telling us what a fascinating field it is and how she hoped that by the end of the talk more of us would be interested in a career in gynaecology, then proceeded to spend about half an hour showing us pictures of every possible STD, complete with sprawling mushroom like growths down there. Everyone was pretty grossed out. When at the end she reiterated her hope of some of us choosing her field, we were all staring at each other with a "Yeah ... no." look on our faces.

I think you two would have rather enjoyed the talk in Forensic Medicine - loads of pictures of murdered people and we had to guess how they died. Some of them, interestingly enough, not actually murdered after all (despite it appearing to be pretty obviously the case at first). Also pretty interesting were genetics (potential new therapies by freely editing the genome), ophthalmology (loads of videos of eye surgery, some procedures as short as three minutes or so, but with huuuge results, literally making the blind see again), emergency medicine and orthopaedics.

As for the latter, you wouldn't believe what goes on in orthopaedic ORs. They say that surgery is more of a handcraft than a science anyway, but orthopaedics takes it to another level. Here's an example - enjoy at your own risk

Surgeon hammers nails OUT of patients knee in bizarre video - YouTube

Seems better than the Napoleonic measure of the quality of a surgeon: How many amputations they could do in a minute. Four arms and legs was de rigeur, at least in the Russian army.

BTW: ever seen the surgeon's sketches after Waterloo. Things like all the coileon [those who know 1st century Greek will understand] hanging out the front.

11-04-2017, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #41552
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
You know we love you very much Jim. You are my older brother from a different mother.
I could not have said it better myself.
11-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #41553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
BTW: ever seen the surgeon's sketches after Waterloo. Things like all the coileon [those who know 1st century Greek will understand] hanging out the front.
Charles Bell's sketches? Yes, rather interesting. I have no idea what 'coileon' means (and Google isn't giving any results), but I assume we're talking about intestines spilling out after sabre wounds?

By the way, I don't have many hilarious Rupert-style stories to tell yet, but I can entertain with a couple of medical anecdotes, if you guys enjoy stuff like that?
11-04-2017, 02:40 PM - 4 Likes   #41554
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An Army surgeon, during the Civil War, (aka The War Between the States, and The War of Northern Agression) recommended to the War Department that bayonets be eliminated from the inventory as he rarely saw a bayonet wound in a field hospital, so, obviously, they weren't very useful.
In looking into it, it was found that the reason bayonet wounds were rarely seen in the field hospitals was that bayonets were so effective that victims rarely lived long enough to get to the hospital.

11-04-2017, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #41555
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

By the way, I don't have many hilarious Rupert-style stories to tell yet, but I can entertain with a couple of medical anecdotes, if you guys enjoy stuff like that?
Bring them on....I'll take whatever you've got.....stories, anecdotes, fabrications....whatever! Anything that is entertaining, interesting, or just plain ridiculous!
Regards!

BTW- Mr Fox, I admire you for your chosen profession and wish you much success. I hope you find much satisfaction, not just financially but in becoming a whole person with empathy and genuine concern for others. There is no higher occupational accomplishment than knowing you are an asset to others not as fortunate as yourself. Good to have you here with us!
11-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #41556
Pentaxian

There was a movie that busted my wife and I up, years and years ago when she was still in Med School. There was a scene where some students were in the library studying, and some other students walked past (the ones the flick was about). The ones studying all start gagging on this horrible stench, asking each other "What the (sic)heck is that?". The punchline of course, is when one of them says "Oh, they're first-year medical students" -- they're walking out of their hands-on Anatomy course and the stench is the formaldehyde preserving their cadavers.

Nobody else in the theater understood why we were laughing so hard... Sue always came home with a cloud of scent permeating her clothes, hair, everything...

Think of it as paying your dues, Sly Fox

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-04-2017 at 05:04 PM.
11-04-2017, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #41557
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Sue always came home with a cloud of scent permeating her clothes, hair, everything...
I don't have any stinky medical anecdotes or jokes....but if anyone wants some stinky stuff....remember I'm a plumber......just put in a request and I'll roll out all you want! Not much will turn my cast iron stomach...but I'm thinking of a few that have done the job in the past.....don't even like to think about them!

Regards!

11-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #41558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
There was a movie that busted my wife and I up, years and years ago when she was still in Med School. There was a scene where some students were in the library studying, and some other students walked past (the ones the flick was about). The ones studying all start gagging on this horrible stench, asking each other "What the (sic)heck is that?". The punchline of course, is when one of them says "Oh, they're first-year medical students" -- they're walking out of their hands-on Anatomy course and the stench is the formaldehyde preserving their cadavers.

Nobody else in the theater understood why we were laughing so hard... Sue always came home with a cloud of scent permeating her clothes, hair, everything...

Think of it as paying your dues, Sly Fox
Yep, I've heard stories like that. However, since formaldehyde has been classified as a 'possible human carcinogenic', regulations have become very strict. The Bavarian ministry in charge actually tried to close down all dissection classes, but our department head went through a lot of hassle and a costly renovation, including installation of advanced ventilation systems that suck the air right out through little slits running along the rim of the tables, in order to keep the classes going. They also experimented with different formaldehyde contents in order to get the concentration down as much as possible without getting to a point where the bodies start to rot. As a result the smell isn't nearly as bad as stories suggest, and if I smell my clothes afterwards I am never quite sure whether I can actually smell it, or am just imagining it. Certainly haven't got any strange looks in the subway yet

Funny enough, the smell seems to be different for everyone. For me it smells a bit like a Christmas market (alcoholic + sweet smell = mulled wine? ), others smelled bananas, one girl smelled cheeseburgers, and others again just think it smells of alcohol.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Bring them on....I'll take whatever you've got.....stories, anecdotes, fabrications....whatever! Anything that is entertaining, interesting, or just plain ridiculous!
Okay, let's start with a good one. This one I call Spoon in the Brain.

The university hospital I did the research for my MSc in is one of only two institutions left in the UK that still do psychosurgery - pretty much neurosurgery for mental disorders. It was a big thing back in the days, but as it became apparent that cutting around in people's brains usually doesn't help much (think 'lobotomy') it has fallen out of favour. It can still be effective in certain cases though (don't ask me how or when, I'm not an expert on that ). So my second supervisor, who happened to be the clinical head of the research division, told me the story of a patient who came in and had this kind of surgery. He was tested again afterwards and it got a bit better. However, he wasn't quite satisfied, so after he got home he took a knife, opened the fresh suture, took out the piece of bone again, grabbed a kitchen spoon (I assume a tea spoon, but he didn't specify) and scrambled around in his brain a bit. Now, that sounds pretty crazy (and it is!), but there are no pain receptors in the brain, so once he was in the scrambling itself wouldn't have hurt. Obviously it bled a lot, so he went back to the hospital where everyone started facepalming and freaking out. They patched him up again and did very extensive testing. The result: he got even better. He did a better job with a spoon than the surgeons did in the OR.

This is the kind of story that I'd safely classify as an urban legend, but given I got it as a first-hand account from a renowned professor, I tend to believe it

And thanks for the wishes Rupert. It sure is a lot of work, but so interesting that I cannot really complain.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-04-2017 at 05:06 PM.
11-04-2017, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #41559
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not normally the squeamish type. I watched my kids being born through C-section, watched the whole thing from first slice to completion. I've watched eye surgery and a nose job (which was a bit like carpentry, but with cleaner tools).
But your spoon in brain story........ Not good!
11-04-2017, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #41560
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Mr Fox.....you disappoint in your appraisal of me and Bob....Racer too. We would never allow our staff to make an appointment for any damsel in distress that was less than a #10 and cleaner than an autoclaved scalpel. That you would think otherwise is proof you do not understand our high standards of depravity.
Cleaner than an autoclaved scalpel.

Pretty much the standard I live by.

If a girl smells as clean as a dentist's office she scores extra points.
11-04-2017, 04:59 PM   #41561
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I was 5 and she was 4....she lived next door...our mom's were coffee friends.....we liked to play together. We liked to play doctor and nurse. I didn't have a word for it, but I knew that "gynaecology" stuff was what I wanted to explore...and I did! It all worked out well until I had to "show her mine". She was outraged that I "had one" and she didn't......she went crying to her mom.....who was having coffee with my mom...and all hell broke out. Her mom, a wonderful and earthly woman was an only girl with 5 brothers....none of this was a shock to her......just kids s doing what kids do. My mom.....I was lucky I didn't die before I got back home next door.
So this was the forbidden fruit of life? ....I was sure I needed to check it out at every opportunity, and I think I mostly did......with the same caution I used to handle the snakes I caught. Only later in life did I learn that females were much more dangerous than any snake I could ever encounter...and ten times more sneaky and cunning.
Tied.

For.

Best.

Rupert.

Story.

Ever.

By the way.

We all have a similar story. I have a sister one year, two months younger than me. We bathed together until we weren't innocent enough to do so. And our mom was their when we discovered our differences. As she made no bog deal about it, we never developed a complex about it.

But I did develop a lifelong affinity for the fairer gender. I like them. Some even make great friends.

Mrs. Racer 2.0 is my best friend.

Ever.
11-04-2017, 05:38 PM - 3 Likes   #41562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But I did develop a lifelong affinity for the fairer gender. I like them. Some even make great friends.

Mrs. Racer 2.0 is my best friend.

Ever.
You might appreciate this Racer......a couple of nights ago I woke up around 2:30 am, which is not unusual......what was unusual was in the low light coming from the bath night light I could see Mrs Rupert in the bed next to me stripping off all her night clothes and underwear.....(she is hot natured and got overheated because we had the AC off)
She was unaware I was awake and I turned on the light and said "Hot diggity you sexy little devil......as sick as I am you knew just what I needed at 2:30 in the morning!"
She laughed so hard she lost her breath!

Friends...yes, she is my best friend and always has been. It is sort of amazing to know how close two people can be. A bond that cannot be broken...even by death.

Regards!
11-04-2017, 05:46 PM - 2 Likes   #41563
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Friends...yes, she is my best friend and always has been. It is sort of amazing to know how close two people can be. A bond that cannot be broken...even by death.
Best medicine, right there!
11-04-2017, 06:00 PM - 3 Likes   #41564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Best medicine, right there!
Oh so right Mark! No amount of money or material things can ever match what I have with Mrs Rupert....in particular at a time like this in my life. It is a comfort no medicine can provide.

We save up our cash for our old age...which is wise...but if we haven't saved up our friendship and love with a mate for our emotional well being and our psychological needs then we will be far short in finding a happy old age. I can't imaging facing this without her....what a sad and scary thought.

Regards!
11-04-2017, 06:27 PM - 5 Likes   #41565
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one that is sort of a medical anecdote.

Even though I am not a doctor.

And I have never played one on TV.

Anyway, in my early 20's, hanging out with some buddies one Saturday evening, riding around in my '64 Chevelle and we passed a cemetery. One of the guys said we should stop, as his cousin lived in the apartment above the mortuary with his parents, and they were out of town.

Apparently his dad was the mortician.

So we went to the apartment to visit his cousin. We had a few beers, and whatever else, and after a while the cousin asked if we had ever seen a dead person before. Being well lubricated, and having never seen recently deceased people, we all were eager to check it out.

So downstairs we went, and as we entered the lighting was dim (only a desklamp in the corner illuminating the mortuary). There were several tables, with bodies covered with white sheets. We pulled one back to see an old man. He looked as if he was sleeping.

All of us stared deeply into his face, leaning in for a closer look.

What we didn't know was that the poor gent had expired while sitting upright in his favorite chair, and wasn't discovered until he went stiff. When we saw him, he was strapped to the table, and had no clue as to his body's semi-permanent position.

As we were all leaning in for that closer look at him, my buddy's cousin surreptitiously released the strap across his chest and he sat bolt upright.

Not one of us was in that room an instant later, only the vacuum where we once had stood.

A couple guys wouldn't go back in again.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 11-04-2017 at 09:43 PM.