Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2017, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #41581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...so what you are saying is it is not skirt weather at your place?
No skirts, but heavy wool kilts are just fine - they are actually really warm. I'll be wearing mine on November 1st while playing my pipes.

11-05-2017, 09:01 AM - 4 Likes   #41582
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...so what you are saying is it is not skirt weather at your place?
If you do wear one, don't stand on any reflective ice.

11-05-2017, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #41583
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I'll be wearing mine on November 1st while playing my pipes.
That ship has sailed.
11-05-2017, 10:11 AM   #41584
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Here's another one. I call it ... wait, no, this one isn't getting a name, because the only fitting one would attract the mods

Anyway, back in the day when my primary supervisor, now close to retirement, was still starting out as a junior doctor, he worked in neurology in a hospital in Glasgow. They had a middle-aged woman with a serious lower spine injury. Until they figured out whether it was operable they put her in some kind of wire mesh contraption that was designed to completely keep her from moving, but in order to provide a bit of a change of positions it was attached to two poles at the front and back end, so she could be turned on her belly or her back, a bit like a pig being roasted over a campfire.

Some very important surgeon was being flown in from the US to have a look. Apparently a rather self-important man, he stormed into the ward immediately demanding to see the patient. My supervisor was assigned to take him to the room. As they entered, the surgeon just walked up to the patient, stuck a finger up her ... backside, pulled it out, proclaimed that they'd be operating tomorrow, and left. The patient, turned on her belly and thus unable to see anything, wailed "WHO WAS THAT?!", to which my supervisor, quite the cheeky guy, nonchalantly replied: "I don't know, I thought you knew him?!"

Now, of course there was a medical background to the whole 'sticking a finger up her bum' procedure: the surgeon was assessing the anal sphincter's tone in order to check whether the muscle is still correctly being innervated. If it reacts/constricts, there are still signals getting through the spine all the way down to the anus. However, I believe nowadays you'd immediately lose your job if you just walked up to a patient and wordlessly and unannouncedly stuck a finger up their bum
Exit only!

Exit only!

11-05-2017, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #41585
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Here's another one. I call it ... wait, no, this one isn't getting a name, because the only fitting one would attract the mods

Anyway, back in the day when my primary supervisor, now close to retirement, was still starting out as a junior doctor, he worked in neurology in a hospital in Glasgow. They had a middle-aged woman with a serious lower spine injury. Until they figured out whether it was operable they put her in some kind of wire mesh contraption that was designed to completely keep her from moving, but in order to provide a bit of a change of positions it was attached to two poles at the front and back end, so she could be turned on her belly or her back, a bit like a pig being roasted over a campfire.

Some very important surgeon was being flown in from the US to have a look. Apparently a rather self-important man, he stormed into the ward immediately demanding to see the patient. My supervisor was assigned to take him to the room. As they entered, the surgeon just walked up to the patient, stuck a finger up her ... backside, pulled it out, proclaimed that they'd be operating tomorrow, and left. The patient, turned on her belly and thus unable to see anything, wailed "WHO WAS THAT?!", to which my supervisor, quite the cheeky guy, nonchalantly replied: "I don't know, I thought you knew him?!"

Now, of course there was a medical background to the whole 'sticking a finger up her bum' procedure: the surgeon was assessing the anal sphincter's tone in order to check whether the muscle is still correctly being innervated. If it reacts/constricts, there are still signals getting through the spine all the way down to the anus. However, I believe nowadays you'd immediately lose your job if you just walked up to a patient and wordlessly and unannouncedly stuck a finger up their bum

I suppose he did not need to worry about that job since it was only for one day, and they had already bought his return ticket.

He could go back to his day job in US after moonlighting in Scotland.
11-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #41586
Pentaxian

We had snow on Halloween, and all of November it's been below freezing; right now it's -15C (5F).

What, you have had all of November. It's only 5/November here.
11-05-2017, 10:18 AM   #41587
Pentaxian

Some time ago Jim told us his trouble started with some contamination the got in his lungs while doing some work.

I just found a sad news story of something kind of similar: Baby's death sparks call for Indonesia to crack down on big tobacco - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

11-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #41588
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is one I wish I had skipped....and I have a cast iron stomach.
8 Animals Eaten Alive in China - Graphic Content - China Underground

I can never make any sense out of such things as this.....why do people do this when they are not starving? Even starving, I'd have to pass on eating live critters.

Regards!
I've eaten countless oysters on the half shell, sometimes right on the beach.

But all that other stuff?

Yuk.

Oh, and terribly inhumane.

I may never even eat another oyster after seeing those other things.

I feel ill now.
11-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #41589
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
He could go back to his day job in US after moonlighting in Scotland.
More like moon probing.
11-05-2017, 10:33 AM   #41590
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
What, you have had all of November. It's only 5/November here.
smartass - Wiktionary
11-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #41591
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

No skirts, but heavy wool kilts are just fine - they are actually really warm. I'll be wearing mine on November 1st while playing my pipes.
Last week our crew was moved to another part of the factory to support some behind schedule jobs. A guy in the crew we went to support is Scottish to the core, and had a wool kilt, proper stockings, and a shirt appropriate to the work he was performing.

I chatted with him a couple of times, but couldn't understand a word he said.
11-05-2017, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #41592
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
But all that other stuff?
I like raw carrots and celery. Avocados and such raw too, but meaty creatures need to be dead...and cooked. I could never relate to eating live baby mice.....or any of those other creatures. I did eat a cricket once...but he had been freeze dried. Had sort of a musty flavor.......a little too crunchy for me

Regards!
11-05-2017, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #41593
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I chatted with him a couple of times, but couldn't understand a word he said.
Sae uir leid is a wee challengin' tae kin?
11-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #41594
Veteran Member

I like raw carrots and celery. Avocados and such raw too, but meaty creatures need to be dead...and cooked. I could never relate to eating live baby mice.....or any of those other creatures. I did eat a cricket once...but he had been freeze dried. Had sort of a musty flavor.......a little too crunchy for me
Reminds me of a scene in the movie I watched last nigh, A Fish Called Wanda. Here's part of the scene:
A Fish Called Wanda (9/11) Movie CLIP - Fish and Chips (1988) HD - YouTube
11-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #41595
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Sae uir leid is a wee challengin' tae kin?
Aye lad, that's it.