Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
11-07-2017, 09:07 PM - 2 Likes   #41701
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Yep....we don't want to find out how cold it is down there. Some words are best left to moral leaders that know how to use them properly.....you know, like politicians that reflect our national values.
That's petty dang funny.

But.

We.

Won't.

Talk.

The.

Other.

P word.

Either.

Reminds me of a Rupert Story.....from the 1st Grade.....may have told it before long ago?.....I can't recall, I have so damn many I can't keep up with them all. Later maybe....my Mom and sister are coming down and bringing me lunch in a few minutes......and my Birthday Cherry Pie!!! Pictures later....story later.....

Regards!

Happy birthday Jim!

11-07-2017, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #41702
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Waxing is way better than mowing.
I see what you did there.

cheesy
11-07-2017, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #41703
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I went to a local park today to check out the fall colors. It's a road widener! Man I could have used this thing when I was doing field service. I was driving 30,000 miles a year or more. And Racer could have used it in either his racing or his truck driving days.

11-07-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #41704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Waxing is way better than mowing.
Instructions unclear, the goats are not grazing in the field anymore...

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
As are any nicely equipped Ford F-150 super-crew cab "utes"
Blech!
Get a Unimog, way more affordable 20-30 thousand for a go anywhere, do anything, awesome truck, and it's diesel too!

11-07-2017, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #41705
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Lawnmowers work too, since we're on the subject.

Might take too much off.
11-07-2017, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #41706
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
6 feet wide?
One pass would do my lawn.
Okay, maybe 2 passes.

My lawn too, but not enough space at the end to turn around to get the second pass. And cannot get it through the back gate to get in to the lawn.
11-07-2017, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #41707
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

...and I also have a bottle with a couple of hundred little morphine pills when I need a little lift!
I had a kidney removed in March this year and, for the first 24 hours after the op, had a patient-controlled morphine pump. It would only give me a squirt every 5 minutes (or was it ten minutes? My memory of that time is not 100%). I tried not to use it unless I really needed it and had only given myself about 5 or 6 squirts. At about hour 22, a nurse checked on me and told me that "The Catheter" and a drip were going to be removed in about an hour and she noticed that I hadn't used the morphine much. She advised me that It might be a good idea to have a few squirts before the catheter was removed.

So I did.

I can tell you, Rupert, that it is seriously good stuff.

Regards,
Richard.

11-08-2017, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #41708
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Many of them will not be around for quite as long, but that doesn't mean they are inferior. Actually, the fact that modern buildings may not last as long is because their construction is superior in almost every aspect to older ones. They have better insulation, better noise cancelling, they are more environmentally friendly (don't require as many natural resources to build) and so on. Think about medieval stone houses and how hard they were to heat despite having massively thick walls - today's houses have much thinner walls, but superior insulation.

It's not that hard stacking up a pile of big rocks that lasts a thousand years, but making a habitable dwelling with modern insulation, cabling, ventilation etc. is a bit trickier

That doesn't mean that I don't love ancient architecture, that I don't marvel at aqueducts (the pipes of which were lead and thus gave entire cities latent lead poisoning ) or Roman baths, of course.
Stacking up a big pile of rocks has never worked and they do not last a thousand years. The structures fell down. What did last thousands of years were iron age fortifications. They have eroded a bit, but they are still there. When I was 9 or 10, I used to play around Hengistbury Head near Mudeford in Hampshire. It was a Stone Age and Bronze Age settlement. OK, their houses have fallen down, but their fortifications are still there. Bits of it are over 14,000 years old.

Successful early builders, think Egyptian pyramids or medieval cathedrals, worked out by trial and error what worked and what didn't work. Their buildings didn't fall down. They eventually worked out why they didn't fall down. How long did it take for medical people to work out infection control?

I lived for a while in a reasonably modern house, built around 1600, and it was always warm in winter and cool in summer.

Regards,
Richard.
11-08-2017, 02:21 AM   #41709
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

at Lacie's wedding I shot, Mrs Rupert got some of the best shots with her little Fuji X10.....like this one.

Maybe I'd better get away from picture/gear talk? My apology to those offended!
Wow! I remember Lacie. What a little cutie she was. Are you still in touch?
11-08-2017, 05:17 AM   #41710
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well I went to a local park today to check out the fall colors. It's a road widener! Man I could have used this thing when I was doing field service. I was driving 30,000 miles a year or more. And Racer could have used it in either his racing or his truck driving days.
A "road widener." Reminds me that when I was a kid, my father, who worked for a shipping company, would sometimes come home and tell me they were having trouble loading the ships because the ship-stretcher has broken down.
11-08-2017, 06:38 AM - 4 Likes   #41711
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I can tell you, Rupert, that it is seriously good stuff.
Yep.....I have a good supply of it and more available anytime.....this new doctor, she does not believe in pain or discomfort. I limit myself to actual need, which currently is not too often, but when I do need it, it works wonders!

---------- Post added 11-08-17 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Wow! I remember Lacie. What a little cutie she was. Are you still in touch?
Her and her mom work at a local bank, so I do still see them occasionally...Lacie's marriage fell apart quickly.....which was no surprise to me. There is a real juicy story there....but I'm not going to tell it.
Lacie | Flickr

Lacie's Wedding | Flickr

Those were fun times.....all the girls were fun and I got to play with my gear and pretend to be a "Big Time" photographer......and eat a lot of pizza and hot wings at our weekly photo shoots.

Another of my many blessings in life.....the classy little studio Mrs Rupert leased for me and furnished....I had a ton of fun in there! Few get the opportunity I had there and the fun we all had every week. Mrs Rupert has been like a Lucky Charm in my life...in more ways than I could list.
My Little Studio | Flickr

Thanks again Mrs Rupert...it was unforgettable!

Regards!
11-08-2017, 08:40 AM - 4 Likes   #41712
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Happy birthday Jim!
Thanks Racer! It is a few days away but close....16th. My Mom and Sis came down yesterday and brought lunch and my Birthday Cherry Pie...I get one every year, my favorite dessert and my Mom makes them from scratch. So delicious!

I ran this old story by my Mom yesterday and it did not please her anymore yesterday than it did over 65 years ago....she still recalls it and still cringes.....My sister used it to try and prove I was adopted and not really part of the family....My Mom said the sad thing was that it was nowhere near the worst I ever embarrassed her.....
All I could say was ...."I'm sorry Mom!"

It was 1st Grade.....Mothers Day....all the mothers were there with their kids and we had box lunches together in the classroom. We got to show off our work and some of our newly learned skills. My Mom was maybe the youngest and for sure the prettiest....so I was proud to show her off.

Our teacher, a wonderful middle age lady, asked each of us to come to the blackboard and post our homework there......we were to spell out a new word that could be added to our vocabulary. All the Moms sat and watched/listened as the kids posted one by one...then it came my turn...

I had found this "new word" written on the wall in the boys bathroom and had asked around ...none of my classmates could (or would?) give it a definition......so I figured this would be a good time to try for a definition? I started writing in big printed letters.....FU..........

Yep, my poor Mom....oh the humiliation......

Regards!
11-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #41713
Veteran Member

Thanks Racer! It is a few days away but close....16th. My Mom and Sis came down yesterday and brought lunch and my Birthday Cherry Pie...I get one every year, my favorite dessert and my Mom makes them from scratch. So delicious!

I ran this old story by my Mom yesterday and it did not please her anymore yesterday than it did over 65 years ago....she still recalls it and still cringes.....My sister used it to try and prove I was adopted and not really part of the family....My Mom said the sad thing was that it was nowhere near the worst I ever embarrassed her.....
All I could say was ...."I'm sorry Mom!"

It was 1st Grade.....Mothers Day....all the mothers were there with their kids and we had box lunches together in the classroom. We got to show off our work and some of our newly learned skills. My Mom was maybe the youngest and for sure the prettiest....so I was proud to show her off.

Our teacher, a wonderful middle age lady, asked each of us to come to the blackboard and post our homework there......we were to spell out a new word that could be added to our vocabulary. All the Moms sat and watched/listened as the kids posted one by one...then it came my turn...

I had found this "new word" written on the wall in the boys bathroom and had asked around ...none of my classmates could (or would?) give it a definition......so I figured this would be a good time to try for a definition? I started writing in big printed letters.....FU..........

Yep, my poor Mom....oh the humiliation......

Regards!
mine was wore...spelled whore...right after that I got my first pocket dictionary
11-08-2017, 11:08 AM - 2 Likes   #41714
Veteran Member

Mrs Rupert has been like a Lucky Charm in my life...in more ways than I could list
I heard this song yesterday for the first time in a very long time.
For some reason it made me think of you and your beautiful bride.

11-08-2017, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #41715
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
For some reason it made me think of you and your beautiful bride.
Mrs Rupert is special to me beyond words.......and she is good to little animals too!

Those of us fortunate enough to have a special mate have a joy money can't buy and material things can't replace. It is what makes our lives worth living...... in good times or bad....and we know it!

Regards!