Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108796 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #41716
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
So I did.

I can tell you, Rupert, that it is seriously good stuff.
My MSc supervisor, who, as I mentioned, is nearing retirement as a consultant in addiction psychiatry and has been treating people with opioid addictions for decades, had a herniated disc a couple of years ago. For the first time in his life he got morphine. "One minute I was in severe pain, the next I was floating on cotton candy", he told me. "For the first time I really understood why they're all crazy for that stuff!"

Strongest I've ever had was a Paracetamol/Codein combination after having all my wisdom teeth removed in one session. Can't say I felt much except for the tooth pain going away.

11-08-2017, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #41717
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
"One minute I was in severe pain, the next I was floating on cotton candy", he told me. "For the first time I really understood why they're all crazy for that stuff!"
It is pretty good stuff, no doubt about it! If you are in pain, it is a lifesaver. Codeine....(I have my 2nd big bottle of that stuff!) is also a pain reliever and relaxer. I'm not much into any regular use of these drugs...only when I feel them to be necessary. I kind of like to know where I stand in reality and drugs can certainly mask that reality.

We have a real crisis in America with the abuse of prescription drugs that are ruining so many lives...and killing so many others. When a drug company ships a half million dangerous pills to a community of 3-4,000 inhabitants on a monthly basis, we can know it is all about the money. Most things are all about the money, unfortunately.

Gotta be careful......none of us are immune to disaster, we just think we are.

Regards!
11-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #41718
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Yep, my poor Mom....oh the humiliation......
That was priceless Jim. Thanks for a great laugh!
11-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #41719
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is pretty good stuff, no doubt about it! If you are in pain, it is a lifesaver. Codeine....(I have my 2nd big bottle of that stuff!) is also a pain reliever and relaxer. I'm not much into any regular use of these drugs...only when I feel them to be necessary. I kind of like to know where I stand in reality and drugs can certainly mask that reality.

We have a real crisis in America with the abuse of prescription drugs that are ruining so many lives...and killing so many others. When a drug company ships a half million dangerous pills to a community of 3-4,000 inhabitants on a monthly basis, we can know it is all about the money. Most things are all about the money, unfortunately.

Gotta be careful......none of us are immune to disaster, we just think we are.

Regards!
Yeah, I think I heard a doctor on the radio explaining that here in Australia there are currently more overdose deaths due to legal opiates than heroin. Not sure what can be done about it. A limited prescription is of limited help to someone who has a chronic condition.

11-08-2017, 05:24 PM - 5 Likes   #41720
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For part of my bi-annual physical I had to fast for blood work this morning.
I'm a big breakfast eater and was starved, thank goodness there was a Waffle House nearby.
My breakfast bowl was hash browns, topped with cheese, topped with eggs, topped with bacon.
My heart doctor appointment, 2 hours later, was strictly coincidental.
11-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #41721
Pentaxian

I had a kidney removed in March this year and, for the first 24 hours after the op, had a patient-controlled morphine pump. It would only give me a squirt every 5 minutes (or was it ten minutes? My memory of that time is not 100%). I tried not to use it unless I really needed it and had only given myself about 5 or 6 squirts. At about hour 22, a nurse checked on me and told me that "The Catheter" and a drip were going to be removed in about an hour and she noticed that I hadn't used the morphine much. She advised me that It might be a good idea to have a few squirts before the catheter was removed.

So I did.

I can tell you, Rupert, that it is seriously good stuff.

Regards,
Richard.
My grandfather saw what the morphine did to my mother in her last few days so when his time came he absolutely refused to have any.
11-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #41722
Pentaxian

Stacking up a big pile of rocks has never worked and they do not last a thousand years. The structures fell down. What did last thousands of years were iron age fortifications. They have eroded a bit, but they are still there. When I was 9 or 10, I used to play around Hengistbury Head near Mudeford in Hampshire. It was a Stone Age and Bronze Age settlement. OK, their houses have fallen down, but their fortifications are still there. Bits of it are over 14,000 years old.

Successful early builders, think Egyptian pyramids or medieval cathedrals, worked out by trial and error what worked and what didn't work. Their buildings didn't fall down. They eventually worked out why they didn't fall down. How long did it take for medical people to work out infection control?

I lived for a while in a reasonably modern house, built around 1600, and it was always warm in winter and cool in summer.

Regards,
Richard.
Have you guys heard of the barber/surgeon belief in putative put. It had to be seen before the object of their work would move towards recovery. Those who did not show it were those who died soon after surgery.

11-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #41723
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
mine was wore...spelled whore...right after that I got my first pocket dictionary
You mean the one that sounds like a word associated with very cold mornings?
11-09-2017, 12:53 AM   #41724
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I'm a big breakfast eater and was starved, thank goodness there was a Waffle House nearby.
My breakfast bowl was hash browns, topped with cheese, topped with eggs, topped with bacon.
My heart doctor appointment, 2 hours later, was strictly coincidental.
It would have been coincidental if you took the breakfast to his place. Then they would have been at the same time - coincidental.
11-09-2017, 05:28 AM   #41725
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It would have been coincidental if you took the breakfast to his place. Then they would have been at the same time - coincidental.
If I had taken it to his office, he might have wanted me to share....no wait, he's Jewish.
11-09-2017, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #41726
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
You mean the one that sounds like a word associated with very cold mornings?
yes...I was 7 or 8 and I assumed wh=w not wh=h

so when I read whore I read as a what not a who

funny thing I knew what a prostitute was...our neighbor plied that trade part-time (though I had no idea of the mechanics involved) according to the local daily

as far as hoar(y) goes I was already reading fantasy so that one I knew

by the time I was nine I was exhausting my mother and the pocket dictionary
so she found a library edition of Webster's and the rest was history

as far as embarrassment goes in the sixth grade...just in time for puberty...I came across a copy of kraft-ebing's seminal work which tested the limits of mom's willingness to accept my precocity

Last edited by ccc_; 11-09-2017 at 05:52 AM.
11-09-2017, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #41727
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Doc's nurse just called, everything looks good, my cholesterol is slightly elevated, but my good HDL cholesterol reading is very good.
She said the doc said to keep with my current diet.
I didn't chuckle out loud until I hung up.
(I made pancakes and bacon for breakfast this morning.)
11-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #41728
Veteran Member

11-09-2017, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #41729
Veteran Member

Bob, I am currently on a morphine high so I am not into doing much posting. I am either on a big fluffy cloud at about 35,000 feet or on an ice shelf in the Arctic? Either way, the view is nice....... Morphine...good stuff!

Regards!
11-09-2017, 03:56 PM - 2 Likes   #41730
Veteran Member

I am either on a big fluffy cloud at about 35,000 feet or on an ice shelf in the Arctic?