Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2017, 10:20 PM - 3 Likes   #41821
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Broken angels everywhere who need and deserve help.. And then there is my nephew who thinks that we owe him and that it is not his fault that he is unemployed!
Yep, I know your nephew....we all do...he is everywhere, and everywhere he is, he is still unemployed!

11-13-2017, 11:03 PM - 1 Like   #41822
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
The skirt I never tried, the cat torture I had to google, the sheep guts I only tried months before I left and it was DE-LIC-IOUS (or maybe it was just the girl that invited me?), the iron girders are crispy, the highland cattle are so hardy they've exported them to the Arctic and they do very well there, and the talking funny bit - yes, they do. Especially in Dundee, where people say "Twa pehs, twa plehn bridies an'an'inyin'in'an'a." and mean "Two pies, two plain bridies, and an onion bridie."

In the cities it's a funny place, in the pubs a cozy one, and in the Highlands a magical and beautiful one.

That stuff's nasty. Had it once, never again! We have a guy in my former university's hiking, mountaineering and climbing club who doesn't drink any alcohol, but often goes through five cans of Irn Bru on a pub night. He'd bring dozens with him for weekend trips to huts, if access allowed for it. The only time he ever refused one was when a lovely Slovenian exchange student tried to bribe her way into a booked-out trip. I took a hilarious picture of him, can of Irn Bru hovering under his nose, his eyes saying 'YES!', his arm extended in refusal, and everyone staring at him or into the camera with utter disbelief in their eyes, mouths gaping. It was a historic moment!

You must post the picture, not just tell us about it.
11-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #41823
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Well, you might see from my profile pic, but I play the bagpipes and wear my kilt. Haggis is awesome, and I've made some myself. I want some Heilan' Coos as they are well sorted to our climate, in fact our neighbour has some. And my friends can comment on my wee accent and various words I use.

I fully agree that the Highlands are magical:

Better than Coca-Cola in my opinion:

That the stuff.

The picture of the valley reminds me of a picture my grandparents had with some coos in the bottom of the valley.
11-13-2017, 11:09 PM - 3 Likes   #41824
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
It is a long story...too long for this thread, but it is truly a heart-breaker. I considered her like a granddaughter and treated her accordingly. She never took unfair advantage of it, she loved me and Mrs Rupert as we did her. Her life was a study in how a bad environment can limit your chances and instill self-doubt and a lack of self assurance.
She had almost turned the corner, it was so close...or maybe not? All I know is she didn't make the turn.

I have seen drugs ruin so many lives full of promise and full of opportunity. I have also felt the helplessness of watching those lives go down in flames despite the best efforts of those that care.

I worked with a lot of young girls through my photography/little studio.....I do feel like I made a difference in some of those lives....even with Shelby, she will never forget that there is another way to go...even if she never takes it. Maybe she will end up as a good lesson in life for someone else?

When the opportunity arises to help someone up the ladder, you take it. Sometimes the result is a joy to be cherished...sometimes a heart-breaker, but it is never a waste of your time if you are sincere and truly care.

Regards!

My wife and I have helped some people in things that happened. Some eventually thanked us, others had no further interest in us. You do not know which is which till after.

11-13-2017, 11:11 PM - 2 Likes   #41825
Pentaxian

Broken angels everywhere who need and deserve help.. And then there is my nephew who thinks that we owe him and that it is not his fault that he is unemployed!

Of course he is right. The other guys did not give him a job. He cannot make that happen.

His sense of entitlement probably scared off potential employers.
11-14-2017, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #41826
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
French-American breakfast this morning.
French toast made from thick sliced, partially stale, homemade (bread machine) white bread.
Sided with American pork belly bacon, and ice cold milk.
I'm stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.
11-14-2017, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #41827
Veteran Member

11-14-2017, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #41828
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
French-American breakfast this morning.
French toast made from thick sliced, partially stale, homemade (bread machine) white bread.
Sided with American pork belly bacon, and ice cold milk.
I'm stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.
Taken up Rupert "fabricated story-telling" Bob?.....that's not like you, but I don't see any picture.......maybe my bad habits are rubbing off on you...I sure hope not?

Well, this morning Mrs Rupert said she had a surprise treat for me....and I knew from the wonderful aroma it was gonna be good! I usually eat light for breakfast but I did have 5 slices of the thick and delicious Steak Bacon......this was the Cajun Style and it was just right!
Got the picture to prove it!

Someone was mighty good to old Rupert! Mrs Rupert said this came FedX late yesterday and when she saw what it was, she knew what we would have for breakfast today!
Name:  Bacon Steaks!.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  217.4 KB

Can't wait to try the other flavors......the Cajun are already gone.....we had BLT sandwiches for lunch and will have them for dinner tonight too. Can't describe them, like nothing I've had before......I guess the name says it all..."Bacon Steaks!"

Hey Jim...you sure didn't have to do that for me...but I am damn glad you did!...and Mrs Rupert too! I've never seen her go after bacon like she has on this! It smells so good cooking...and tastes even better! She asked me twice when she came in from work this evening if I had thanked you yet? Yep, would not forget that!

This place has got it all!
Best Sellers | Smoke Meats | Order Online

Best Regards!

OT - but made me laugh my butt off....I have learned to proof read more, often to avoid costly mistakes and dark damp basements with laughing squirrels.

As I was proof reading this...I found my first mistake.....it went like this...originally.....
"Well, this morning Mrs Rupert said she had a surprise teat for me...." Followed by...."and I knew from the wonderful aroma it was gonna be good!"

Wow! .....never though of it that way, and hope I never do!
11-14-2017, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #41829
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert :
Hey Jim...you sure didn't have to do that for me...but I am damn glad you did!...and Mrs Rupert too! I've never seen her go after bacon like she has on this! It smells so good cooking...and tastes even better! She asked me twice when she came in from work this evening if I had thanked you yet? Yep, would not forget that!
I'm glad you both liked it.
I've never had any but have been tempted. I figured I'd use you and Mrs R as Guinea pigs.
11-14-2017, 06:27 PM - 3 Likes   #41830
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Taken up Rupert "fabricated story-telling" Bob?.....that's not like you, but I don't see any picture
Let's not forget the "no pic, no calories" code of honor here.
Burger's bacon eh? Can't beat Missouri meat!
11-14-2017, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #41831
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just went and spent 3 bucks on Amazon to watch "Edge of tomorrow" entertaining for sure! Cheaper than a pound of Bacon but maybe not as tasty...
11-14-2017, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #41832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spending my K3 money on entertaining movies.
11-14-2017, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #41833
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I'm glad you both liked it.
I've never had any but have been tempted. I figured I'd use you and Mrs R as Guinea pigs.
Oh we liked it for sure! We will happy to do that kind of "pigging" for you anytime!

Regards!
11-14-2017, 07:42 PM   #41834
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Just went and spent 3 bucks on Amazon to watch "Edge of tomorrow" entertaining for sure! Cheaper than a pound of Bacon but maybe not as tasty...
Nicely done. My wife and I paid more to see it at that ancient relic, The Cinema.

We thought Tom Cruise was okay in it, and Emily Blunt was very good. Video gamers will recognize the rhythm of the plot.
11-14-2017, 07:50 PM - 2 Likes   #41835
Veteran Member

Spending my K3 money on entertaining movies.
Just saw where one of the K3 group guys has his "Pre-Loved K3" up for sale. I don't know about you...but that just has a nasty sound to it. Bad enough to want one...but one that has been "pre-loved"......that is some kind of perversion...you think?

Regards!
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »