Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2017, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #41881
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Now imagine what happens if your CNS is being depressed (= lower activity), and you enhance that effect with alcohol.
Yep, that is why it works so well! With my pathetic lung condition, I can just pass by a liquor cabinet and get higher than a kite. Any form of physical activity, no matter how light or how slight can bring on 20 minutes of huffing and puffing to restore my breath.....even with oxygen.

Our central A/C went out Monday...and it is still a little warm around here.....too warm for me to breathe without the A/C. It would take 10-15 days to replace the central system...if weather stays good? After Nov we probably won't need A/C much at all until March or April.

Supposed to be mid 80s today ( and it is!) so I bought one of these to get me through the next few days....after which it is forecast to cool way down. Furnace is almost new so all we need now is heat until Spring...and we have it!
LG Electronics 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with LCD Remote-LP1217GSR - The Home Depot
So far today it has done well to keep my office, bathroom and rear hallway plenty cool and humidity free.Beats having to go to a motel and that was the alternative. Cheaper too. I could not have stayed here today without it.

Regards!

11-17-2017, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #41882
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
so I bought one of these to get me through the next few days
I picked up a similar one several years back, on clearance at Target, we've used it a couple of times and loaned it out a couple more.
It won't keep your beer cold, but beats the hell of a fan only.

I finally broke down and bought a bag of dried meal worms for my wild birds, 10 bucks for a 17 oz bag.
They're light weight, so there is a lot of them.
I think a blue jay ate a few, that's it so far. We don't live near ideal habitat for bluebirds, so I'm not expecting any to show up, but sure hope other insect eaters appreciate my efforts.
If all else fails I'll mix some into my homemade suet cakes.
11-17-2017, 07:06 PM - 2 Likes   #41883
Veteran Member

That's some expensive eating! My Jays crave roasted peanuts in the shell.

I was reading some Yahoo headliners while ago.....mostly a lot of junk stuff..but came across this, and it made me stop and do some deep philosophical thinking...not something that can happen often on Yahoo!

We often go into some long drawn out explanation of some of our reasoning, our beliefs, or our personal convictions. We get all wrapped up in philosophical reasoning, quote Plato or Socrates....or other great thinkers....complicated stuff, you know!

In reality it is usually not all that complicated......even Yahoo can get it right every so often!

What it was.....

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Reveal the Secret to Their 21-Year Marriage: "We Like Each Other".

It makes me recall my Sophomore history teacher, a strange guy but very intelligent and a great beer drinking buddy. I was going over my new schedule with him and a few other beer drinking pals and mentioned that I was going to try out a dose of Psychology 101. It set him off on a long tirade about the "freaks" that teach psychology and the weirdos that take the courses.
He wound it all up with this summary......."Psychology is a big word for common sense!" I took one semester of it, and you know, he was dead right.

.....they like each other...imagine that! Pretty simple!

Regards!...Hey Bob ..Night #2 ...the last piece of that cheesecake just evaporated in my presence! My helper ate one slice, Mrs Rupert ate two...I ate the rest!
11-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #41884
Pentaxian

Yep, that is why it works so well! With my pathetic lung condition, I can just pass by a liquor cabinet and get higher than a kite. Any form of physical activity, no matter how light or how slight can bring on 20 minutes of huffing and puffing to restore my breath.....even with oxygen.

Our central A/C went out Monday...and it is still a little warm around here.....too warm for me to breathe without the A/C. It would take 10-15 days to replace the central system...if weather stays good? After Nov we probably won't need A/C much at all until March or April.

Supposed to be mid 80s today ( and it is!) so I bought one of these to get me through the next few days....after which it is forecast to cool way down. Furnace is almost new so all we need now is heat until Spring...and we have it!
LG Electronics 12,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with LCD Remote-LP1217GSR - The Home Depot
So far today it has done well to keep my office, bathroom and rear hallway plenty cool and humidity free.Beats having to go to a motel and that was the alternative. Cheaper too. I could not have stayed here today without it.

Regards!
Wish we could share some of our air with you. Sunday, the temperature is supposed to be in the 30s {Fahrenheit} all day long here.

11-17-2017, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #41885
Veteran Member

.Hey Bob ..Night #2 ...the last piece of that cheesecake just evaporated in my presence! My helper ate one slice, Mrs Rupert ate two...I ate the rest!
I've been working on the remains of a big sheet cake Mrs Bob took to her garden club meeting earlier this week.
Bout got her whipped.
11-17-2017, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #41886
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I've been working on the remains of a big sheet cake Mrs Bob took to her garden club meeting earlier this week.
Bout got her whipped.

What, the gardeners did not like it?

How ungrateful of them to assault her using tools, the worst of human ingenuity.
11-17-2017, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #41887
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It makes me recall my Sophomore history teacher, a strange guy but very intelligent and a great beer drinking buddy. I was going over my new schedule with him and a few other beer drinking pals and mentioned that I was going to try out a dose of Psychology 101. It set him off on a long tirade about the "freaks" that teach psychology and the weirdos that take the courses.
He wound it all up with this summary......."Psychology is a big word for common sense!" I took one semester of it, and you know, he was dead right.

You remind me of a mate back in the day at high school. He went to a psychology lecture as a walk-in visitor, apparently about 'deviants', and he came out saying "he is a *[insert appropriate Australian word*] deviant".

And the commonsenseness of it is why the psychos are so sensitive about their research methods and who they will listen to. That is how they construct their barrier to entry to their club.

11-18-2017, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #41888
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I like my heart beating and my lungs breathing
Thinking about it, that sort fo makes sense.
11-18-2017, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #41889
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The psychology department was close to my department (Physical & Biological Sciences) for many years, and most members of the former were either acquaintances or friends. Truth is, there are many "professionals" in psychology who have "hang-ups." They have one set answer, one truth, which they may have made up before they even started their advanced training. They are "true believers" who reject offhand as false any data contrary to their model of human behavior. Other psychologists, including the one with whom I remain friends, are open-minded to new findings, including those that come from biological studies. The discipline is akin the study of human evolution evolution. There are professionals who as objectively as possible analyze any and all information, and those who have a "pet theory" that is sometimes, to put it politely, totally crackpot. A worthwhile insight into the way some psychologists think is a classic paper titled "The Snark was a Boojum." (sorry if "boojum" is not spelled correctly), which points out how many in the field still think along the lines of "as it is lab rats, so it is in humans."
11-18-2017, 07:12 AM   #41890
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Which leads us to the Chronosynclastic Infindibulum.
11-18-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #41891
Veteran Member

Bob will stop back by when the banter is back to bacon.
Something he understands and can pronounce.
11-18-2017, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #41892
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Bob will stop back by when the banter is back to bacon.
Something he understands and can pronounce.
The Chronosynclastic Infindibulum always has a provision for bacon.
11-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #41893
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Weekdays I start my day at 0230. Shift starts at 0530. First 10 minute break comes at 0800. "Lunch" happens at 1000. Second 10 minute break at 1230. End of shift is 1400. If working overtime another 10 minute break is taken.

I worked until 1600 or slightly more three days this past week.

Monday I worked until 1830 ish.

Last night I managed to get done by 1420.

Work nights I need to get to bed by 1930 or so. Friday and Saturday I try not to deviate so my circadian and diurnal rhythms aren't disrupted too much, and generally keep the same schedule. Sometimes though, I might stay up late to watch some TV or something. I did that last night, after a long and busy week.

I fell asleep in the recliner by 1945.

And slept in until 0235.

Sheesh.

Now at 0730 I'm having some bacon.

And reaffirming why I won't buy a K3. If I work enough overtime I'll be trying to find an excuse to buy a K-1.
11-18-2017, 08:47 AM - 2 Likes   #41894
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I fell asleep in the recliner by 1945.
72 years of sleep?
Rip Van Racer.
11-18-2017, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #41895
Veteran Member

Chronosynclastic Infindibulum...An older version of "alternative facts" or "alternative truths"?

I think Walter understands this more than most...enough to have one of the most truthful footnotes seen here with his every post....

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Frightening numbers of people are ferociously determined to believe almost anything other than the truth.

If there is any such thing as truth, it is in the words in that short sentence.

Regards!

Hey guys....I have noticed some changes in my cognitive abilities lately.....which may result in some posting that is more or less duplicated, or repetitive in some manner...or otherwise not the normal "brilliant intellect" you guys are used to seeing from old Rupert.
I try to proof this stuff, and make sure it is honest and truthful.....you know how much it would concern me if I ever posted any untruth in a Rupert Story.....or even any slight exaggeration.

I check my oxygen level before posting and if it is not in the 90s, I come back later when it is. I've seen it drop into the 70s too often lately....a time you can pass out....or.....come up with some real doozy Rupert Stories!

Anyhow, if I get too far out of whack, drop me a PM and advise me of it. I'd appreciate it! Please don't notify Mrs Rupert.....she already thinks I am mostly insane...for the last 50+ years!

I've never "been here" before so I don't know what to expect or when to expect it? That is one of the most troubling parts about this....you are flying in total darkness without instruments.....hoping and praying you crash well, and fast. You guys can hope and pray for me too.....I'll be honored if you do!

Regards!