Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2017, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #41941
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unions can also drive the cost of prodction so high that the people end up unemployed because production gets moved to other countries.

11-19-2017, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #41942
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
then the rep wasn't up to the game

all workers should have the option of representation
eventually every employer will operate in their self-interest regardless of the effect on their employees

union representation can mitigate the harm an employer can inflict and provides a vehicle for equality in the workplace

just my opinion...but i'm right
Here by us very few people belong to unions. It's more common, of course, in industry, and for some reason with school teachers, but I know almost no-one other than school teachers who belong to a union. During the times I have worked for others I have prefered to negotiate my own salary and benefits, not rely on some union to do so. My dad always treated his workers fairly, which is why they (the factory workers) told the union rep to get lost and not dare come back.
11-19-2017, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #41943
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Bacon for a bedtime snack.

Tomorrow, Quack Day.

Drill baby, drill.
11-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #41944
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
. . . . . . . . . . . talking about the real Washington, . . . . . . . . .
There can be only one.

11-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #41945
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Drill baby, drill.
I thought that was a regular work day for you?
11-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #41946
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Unions can also drive the cost of prodction so high that the people end up unemployed because production gets moved to other countries.
I've heard it but never seen it

x amount of money is going to be made
it should be distributed up and down the chain equitably

more often than not prices rise so that shareholders and managers get a bigger take not because workers got a fair shake
when they screw up or choose to up sticks the workers get screwed

this was all tested and sorted a hundred years ago in this country
gods help us if americans remember how to redress the economic inequality they live with today
11-19-2017, 08:52 PM   #41947
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I deserve it, just finished a Rupert type job by putting a kit in one of our toilet tanks.
Been awhile since I've done one, still it only took about 15 minutes.
Mrs Bob wasn't here, so that might stretch to an hour by the time she gets home.

It's one of the old style toilets, big tank that doesn't need flushing 2 or 3 times to make some solid stuff go away.
Up here, people who purchased a new house would often have trouble with the so called water conservation toilets. When they got frustrated enough they would drive to Canada, where the old style 3 gallon units were till available, to get them.

In England a town forced everybody to get the new low volume toilets. Then there was not enough water flowing into the sewer system to keep the solid matter moving. So they then told everyone to flush the toilets three times until they could figure out a fix. I was up in Baxter, MN this past April. The hotels up there were told that they had to change all their toilets to ones that used 1.3 gallons or water per flush. So they were all changed out. They were told to do it again with toilets that only use 1.1 gallon of water per flush.

11-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #41948
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Then there was not enough water flowing into the sewer system to keep the solid matter moving. So they then told everyone to flush the toilets three times until they could figure out a fix. The hotels up there were told that they had to change all their toilets to ones that used 1.3 gallons or water per flush. So they were all changed out. They were told to do it again with toilets that only use 1.1 gallon of water per flush.
You could not make this stuff up if you tried!
11-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #41949
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
I've heard it but never seen it

x amount of money is going to be made
it should be distributed up and down the chain equitably

more often than not prices rise so that shareholders and managers get a bigger take not because workers got a fair shake
when they screw up or choose to up sticks the workers get screwed

this was all tested and sorted a hundred years ago in this country
gods help us if americans remember how to redress the economic inequality they live with today
Inequality exists everywhere but, at the same time, living conditions and working conditions are still preferable to those a hundred years ago.
11-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #41950
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Trouble is the haves want to get us back there
11-19-2017, 10:09 PM - 2 Likes   #41951
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I deserve it, just finished a Rupert type job by putting a kit in one of our toilet tanks.
Been awhile since I've done one, still it only took about 15 minutes.
Mrs Bob wasn't here, so that might stretch to an hour by the time she gets home.
Yep...one of the tougher jobs.....hard on the lower back and shoulders too.....a good rub-down by Mrs Bob would show her appreciation for your hard work on a weekend......and think of the cash you saved......tell her I would have charged you at least $400 on a Sunday afternoon.....

Seriously, the thieves around here would charge $200 for a call like that on a Sunday afternoon. Flush handle.....I've seen some charge old ladies $90. for $4 flush handle installed ..on a weekday! Greed has no boundaries. Don't be like that......just charge Mrs Bob $200......and the back/shoulder rub!

Regards!
11-19-2017, 10:22 PM   #41952
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I thought that was a regular work day for you?
At the present production rate each spar takes 2 days to finish up the work the automated machinery can't do. Drill one day. Install the next. Walk to the opposite side of the tool and do the same to the left (or right, whichever is next).

Repeat.
11-19-2017, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #41953
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Unions can also drive the cost of production so high that the people end up unemployed because production gets moved to other countries.
Yes, sending jobs that pay $20. an hour to nations that pay $2 per day (12 hour days) has no bearing on a corporations decision to send off those $20. jobs.....and increase their profits by a huge %....right?? We know that the workers best interests are always in mind...right again?

The more my brother, neighbor, friend, makes to provide for his family, the less I have to provide for him. He feels better and so do I. I like that......and I don't want Racer making $2 a day just to keep his job.

Now that I've had my rebuttal...someone can yell out "No Politics Here!"

Regards!
11-19-2017, 11:29 PM   #41954
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Up here, people who purchased a new house would often have trouble with the so called water conservation toilets. When they got frustrated enough they would drive to Canada, where the old style 3 gallon units were till available, to get them.

In England a town forced everybody to get the new low volume toilets. Then there was not enough water flowing into the sewer system to keep the solid matter moving. So they then told everyone to flush the toilets three times until they could figure out a fix. I was up in Baxter, MN this past April. The hotels up there were told that they had to change all their toilets to ones that used 1.3 gallons or water per flush. So they were all changed out. They were told to do it again with toilets that only use 1.1 gallon of water per flush.

Makes much more sense to just require the changes when the equipment needs to be changed. And also price the water so that it encourages earlier change, such as when a plumber needs to be called to do a repair.

But another problem is that the pan needs to be changed because they are designed to require a certain flow to move the stuff. That makes changing each one very expensive.
11-20-2017, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #41955
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I do offer my sincere apology for opening an unpleasant topic.
Bollocks.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yeah! That works Bob! Two of those and it's an early night.
Don't you mean "Two of those and I'm ready for breakfast"?

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
if I pass my first anatomy exam.
How'd it go?! (Yes, yes, I know you're not through yet, but by the time you read this you'd better be!)