Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Bollocks.
That's not like lewdfish...is it?

---------- Post added 11-20-17 at 08:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Rupert, you fight however hard you want, however and whenever it ends is what it is. Just know ya have lots of friends all over the globe. Been a helluva ride.
Thank you, thank you! Yes, it has been a hell of a great ride and what has made it great is all those friends all over the place....and my most wonderful and caring family....in particular Mrs Rupert.

I won't be the last one to go belly up here.....unfortunately....but I do expect that those to come in the future will get the same kind of love and support you guys have given me. Does it ,make any real difference?.....you will know when your time comes....it is something you can feel and is a real as the aroma of early morning bacon frying!

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 11-20-2017 at 07:20 AM.
11-20-2017, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #41957
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Nope, but you won't be able to tell the difference

And thanks for reminding me we're entering the lutefisk season once again
11-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #41958
Veteran Member

We don't worry about flushing the toilet, here we have a composting toilet...

Rocky Mountain oysters - Wikipedia
11-20-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #41959
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Rocky Mountain oysters - Wikipedia
Actually, some tasty treats. I have not tried any, other than calf fries or chicken fries....(Yes- chicken testicles are a real delicacy!)

Squirrel fries might be a real delicacy too?

K1-heck of a camera! Here is a squirrel I shot yesterday and had the camera settings all wrong when I picked it up for a quick snap.......came out totally black. Pushed the Raw shot 4 stops......a little strange looking, but I do like it!
Name:  K1 - Pushed 4 stops!.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  415.8 KB

Regards!....So Bert...if you are a fan of distinct "pipe sounds" you should try to castrate some of your goats for goat fries.....they might be delicious...and I bet the sound made during the process will be familiar to your ears?

11-20-2017, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #41960
Veteran Member

How'd it go?! (Yes, yes, I know you're not through yet, but by the time you read this you'd better be!)
It was going so well I asked for a grade halfway through (it's usually pass/fail, unless you explicitly ask for a grade beforehand because you need it for a scholarship or something) and ended up with an A Sorry if I appear overly pleased with myself, it's just that I've never studied that much before. I've studied an undergrad and postgrad before, so I know exams, but medical school is something different. It's 80% straight A students right from high school who are used to studying like machines, and still today before the exam I saw a guy wiping off tears in the men's bathroom, another one was lying on the bench in the corridor just staring at the ceiling. I approached a girl I know who was queuing with me to have a chat, and she politely let me know that all she wanted to do was stand there and not say a word.

Obviously it's not quite as dramatic for everybody, but the pressure is real. It's certainly something you have to love in order to make it through. Most passed though (two out of eleven at our table failed, but they will only get re-examined on the areas they didn't know well), and the medical student union sold mulled wine outside the building afterwards, so now (almost) everyone is happy

Edit: Forgot to mention - we have two table lecturers, one a young biologist who is still learning, kind of an 'apprentice', and got to examine students for the first time today. So when I approached the table I smiled and asked "You're nervous?", and she laughed and said "Nah, not anymore."

Last edited by FantasticMrFox; 11-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.
11-20-2017, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #41961
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Sorry if I appear overly pleased with myself
Nah, why change now?

Congrats! One step closer to getting to wear that stethoscope around your neck!

But really, flirting with the examiner is dirty play.

Something we approve of here, of course.
11-20-2017, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #41962
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It was going so well I asked for a grade halfway through (it's usually pass/fail, unless you explicitly ask for a grade beforehand because you need it for a scholarship or something) and ended up with an A Sorry if I appear overly pleased with myself, it's just that I've never studied that much before. I've studied an undergrad and postgrad before, so I know exams, but medical school is something different. It's 80% straight A students right from high school who are used to studying like machines, and still today before the exam I saw a guy wiping off tears in the men's bathroom, another one was lying on the bench in the corridor just staring at the ceiling. I approached a girl I know who was queuing with me to have a chat, and she politely let me know that all she wanted to do was stand there and not say a word.

Obviously it's not quite as dramatic for everybody, but the pressure is real. It's certainly something you have to love in order to make it through. Most passed though (two out of eleven at our table failed, but they will only get re-examined on the areas they didn't know well), and the medical student union sold mulled wine outside the building afterwards, so now (almost) everyone is happy

Edit: Forgot to mention - we have two table lecturers, one a young biologist who is still learning, kind of an 'apprentice', and got to examine students for the first time today. So when I approached the table I smiled and asked "You're nervous?", and she laughed and said "Nah, not anymore."
Good to hear it's gone well. Well done! Congratulations on that A. Obviously you worked hard and reaped the rewards.

11-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #41963
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't you mean "Two of those and I'm ready for breakfast"?
Only when I'm on holiday.
11-20-2017, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #41964
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, sending jobs that pay $20. an hour to nations that pay $2 per day (12 hour days) has no bearing on a corporations decision to send off those $20. jobs.....and increase their profits by a huge %....right?? We know that the workers best interests are always in mind...right again?
One of my best friends has just come back from 9 weeks in China. He's a professor and was sent there by his institution to teach a class - pretty complicated chemistry that's completely over my head.
He has been telling me how that country is changing. And with that change comes prosperity and, of course, higher wages, higher costs, etc. They won't be working for low wages for long. Its all changing and developing, and rapidly.
An interesting development is how quickly they are phasing out factories that damage the environment. I suspect it won't be very long or they'll be paying just the same for goods and services as we do.

I have been following, with interest, what Elon Musk is doing with Tesla. He's manufacturing in the USA, of course, and if he delivers what he promises, I predict we'll see a technology change, in our lifetimes, not unlike the change from the horse and cart to the motorcar. (I'm reminded that, 120 years ago, cities were worried that they would soon be 9 feet deep in horse manure due to the increase in traffic.)

I see the new Tesla Roadster will do 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds. That's blisteringly fast.
And pretty too!

And I used to be a petrolhead!
11-20-2017, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #41965
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And I used to be a petrolhead!
So, you're an electrohead now?
11-20-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #41966
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
NAH !!!
Your still a "petrolhead" just the petrol is chamging
I think Teslar maybe building there battery packs in Oz at the old GMH plant in SA, here's hoping

Dave
11-20-2017, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #41967
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So, you're an electrohead now?
Ssshhhh! Not in front of the kids!
11-20-2017, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #41968
Veteran Member

But really, flirting with the examiner is dirty play.

Something we approve of here, of course.
All's fair in love and war
11-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #41969
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote

I have been following, with interest, what Elon Musk is doing with Tesla. He's manufacturing in the USA, of course, and if he delivers what he promises, I predict we'll see a technology change, in our lifetimes, not unlike the change from the horse and cart to the motorcar. (I'm reminded that, 120 years ago, cities were worried that they would soon be 9 feet deep in horse manure due to the increase in traffic.)
The limitation on electric cars is the time it takes to charge the batteries. If some breakthrough could bring that down to around 30 minutes (=enough time to eat lunch) with a reliable distance of about 350 miles (= about as long as anyone should drive without stopping) even when running the heater/wipers/radio, that is when electrical vehicles will really revolutionize personal transport. But, it may not be a problem that will have a solution. Because we can imagine it, and want it, and hundreds of top engineers and scientists are working on it does not mean that it is possible.

Last edited by WPRESTO; 11-20-2017 at 04:47 PM.
11-20-2017, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #41970
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The limitation on electric cars is the time it takes to charge the batteries. If some breakthrough could bring that down to around 30 minutes (=enough time to eat lunch) with a reliable distance of about 350 miles (= about as long as anyone should drive without stopping) even when running the heater/wipers/radio, that is when electrical vehicles will really revolutionize personal transport. But, it may not be a problem that will have a solution. Because we can imagine it, and want it, and hundreds of top engineers and scientists are working on does not mean that it is possible.
For most use, charge time is irrelevant, as you simply charge the car at home, at night. If you need to drive more than 320km per day, (200 miles) then charging becomes a problem. I very seldom need to drive more than 320km in a day, so for me, it would be ideal. The most I drive, other than a few times a year, is about 200km in a day, with the average day being no more than 70km per day. At a Tesla Supercharger, you'll get about 170 miles / 270km from a 30 minute charge.