Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2017, 08:21 PM - 3 Likes   #42061
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I can do opera. Ballet, not so much.
get some looser lycra, my guess is you need more ball room.

11-22-2017, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #42062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I was thinking ballet.

Men in tights.
Just had a vision of men in green Tu-tus dancing through Sherwood on their tippy-toes.
11-22-2017, 08:29 PM - 3 Likes   #42063
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
get some looser lycra, my guess is you need more ball room.
Wife: How do the new pants fit?
Husband: They remind me of the ballroom in my grandmother's house.
Wife: Your grandmother's house didn't have a ballroom.
Husband: Right!
11-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #42064
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
All this talk of cycling teams.

Reminds me of the Swedish Bikini Team.

Remember them?

11-22-2017, 11:06 PM   #42065
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
When we first moved to this area we had one car, I had a much longer distance to go in the opposite direction that M traveled to her office, and there was free bus service on her route, none whatever on mine*. So when necessary, she walked to the bus stop and I took the car. But, her trip required at least triple the time, each way, compared to driving, and when the weather was wet, snowy or cold, it was really miserable to walk to the bus stop and wait unprotected for the bus to arrive (no bus shelter of any kind). And the buses were not frequent, so missing one in either direction meant arriving more than an hour late at the office or coming home. When we got a second vehicle, M never again used the bus even though it was free.

* Not quite true. I could have taken the same bus M used but ridden it much farther, then hiked to a long-distance bus station to catch another bus south, then changed to a municipal bus to get me to my destination (It might have been necessary to change buses at least once more - I never checked to see if I could pick up the municipal bus that passed my workplace directly in front of the long-distance bus depot). I estimated that the total travel time if I did not miss a connection, would be at least three hours each direction, whereas driving was about 45 minutes. Sometimes public transport is OK. Sometimes it isn't vaguely convenient or practical.

Kind of like where I live.

To go to work by bus I would need to take the StagecoachGold S1 to Oxford, 30-40 minutes, (with a driver whose driving enables the amusing metaphor - 'as slow as a Stagecoach bus driver') followed by connection to the StagecoachGold route 66. On both I would need to pay a GBP6.5 return fare (about USD8-9) because although it is the same company they will not sell a connecting ticket. I think that is because the S1 is on a contract with Oxfordshire and the 66 on a contract with Wiltshire, and no-one thinks about commute routes that cross the boundary, even though vast numbers of people cross the border every trip.
11-22-2017, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #42066
Pentaxian

What's wrong with lycra?

Would you do a business visit to a client dressed like that?

Using bicycles as daily transport require wearing normal clothes for the activity you are going to.

Actually I have noticed over the last 30-40 years that people have separated activities done for fitness and exercise from their daily activities. No longer do people ride to work and get their daily dose of exercise as part of the commute.
11-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #42067
Pentaxian

Amazing where the thread went with Mark's response to my comment about lycra on business trips.

11-23-2017, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #42068
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Would you do a business visit to a client dressed like that?
Ha! Funny you should ask. I did a race one weekend and directly after the race, a very important client of mine rang and asked if I could come around right away. I responded that I was only a few km away and could come right away, if he did not mind seeing me in lycra. He laughed and said no problem. So yes, I've had a client meeting in lycra.

Interestingly, in my experience with several high profile clients: The more important they are, the less they care about trivial stuff like what you wear or drive.
11-23-2017, 03:28 AM - 2 Likes   #42069
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

So yes, I've had a client meeting in lycra.
Whatever floats your boat...

11-23-2017, 06:18 AM - 3 Likes   #42070
Veteran Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all of my compatriots!
My advice for the day? Let it all hang out!
11-23-2017, 06:37 AM - 2 Likes   #42071
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh, right. Happy Thanksgiving!

Here it's just another day. I was about to complain about having sunrise after 8:30 and sunset at 15:30 (or 3:30pm if you like), but then found out that in Zoe's home town they'll have their last sunset of the year on the 26th this month at two minutes after noon. Next sunrise will be 11:30 on January 15th. Time & Date

Nah, schadenfreude didn't work. I'm still feeling down.
11-23-2017, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #42072
Veteran Member

Our sunrise is at 6:52, sunset at 16:44 (4:44 pm)
No clouds or rain predicted for several days.
11-23-2017, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #42073
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Our sunrise is at 6:52, sunset at 16:44 (4:44 pm)
No clouds or rain predicted for several days.
You can have ours! Daylight never really arrived today, low cloud cover robbing us of what little sunlight there could have been.

*sigh* Coffee can do only so much.
11-23-2017, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #42074
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Happy Turkey Day to all of you too.

Over the last 24 hours or so the temps have warmed quite a bit higher than normal. The snow in the mountains melted. That, combined with very heavy rain and the local rivers all reached flood stage. When I got up to get ready for work yesterday I could here the river I live along.

The water was running very high. My drive to town crosses a bridge upstream. There is a small group of homes by that bridge and they were all flooded, and the water was nearly over the road by the bridge.

Fortunately I made it through. A few times in the past I have been stuck and couldn’t get out. There is another route out, downstream about 20 miles, but there is a bridge there also, and the approach there gets flooded too.

This morning the rain has let up, and the water receded.

Now, time to get ready for The Feast.
11-23-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #42075
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A few times in the past I have been stuck and couldn’t get out.
I've seen your beautiful digs, not a bad place to be stuck, as long as the beer and bacon holds out.