Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2017, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #42661
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Just think of cricket as a game for people with more leisure time than baseball players.

But the funny thing is, there are more balls per minute in cricket than pitches per minute in baseball. Baseball fits the description "English cricket at its best, slow dull and boring" - but if beat them it is none of the above.

12-14-2017, 11:17 PM   #42662
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I needed one more present to finish Christmas shopping for Mrs Bob when it hit me.
I'll buy her a bottle of my favorite bourbon!

she doesn't drink alcohol, at all

Sure that will be a winner?
12-14-2017, 11:22 PM - 1 Like   #42663
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I want one.

With something like this my commute would be fun. Probably only take about 20 minutes. I wonder if the FAA or the company I work for would make a fuss about me flying to work and parking it in the same parking lot where I (and 40,000 of my coworkers) park my car? Keep in mind that the place I work is situated on the apron of a large county airport, complete with lots of air traffic.

I mean, I could park off to the side, way out by the fence where nobody likes to park.

Your company should love it - it shows the employees have confidence in flying.

On a school excursion to a car factory I remember seeing that most of the cars in the car park were other brands. You would think that a car company would have a scheme that encourages their workers to buy their own product.
12-15-2017, 02:56 AM - 2 Likes   #42664
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Slowly I turned.................
....the boiled bacon on the grill?

12-15-2017, 05:03 AM   #42665
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feels a bit like Groundhog Day here.

Finishing up my morning coffee, just after 0400, time to make the drive into the Big City and fill the holes I made yesterday.
12-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #42666
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sure that will be a winner?
Always works for me.
12-15-2017, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #42667
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
....the boiled bacon on the grill?

boiled meat creeps me out

however...a country café I ate at tossed raw bacon in with their potatoes
the meat was chopped fine (after the boil) and added back to the spuds which were then mashed or fried
pretty tasty

12-15-2017, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #42668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Colder than a well digger's backside.

I spent a few days in Winnipeg a week before Christmas about 8 years ago, parked next to this truck:

It was -50° C.

Spit would freeze before it hit the ground.

At some point, I doubt the wind chill really matters.
My sister moved to Winterpeg the about 18 months back, she claims to love the winters, I question her mental health lol. In the mid-60s in grade school, we were living there, I remember walking to school on a -66f day, then when recess hit being sent outside to play ....now, of course, they keep kids in, I think we benefited from being sent out in that, made us smart enough to not return once we were gone lol
12-15-2017, 06:12 PM - 2 Likes   #42669
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
My sister moved to Winterpeg the about 18 months back, she claims to love the winters, I question her mental health lol. In the mid-60s in grade school, we were living there, I remember walking to school on a -66f day, then when recess hit being sent outside to play ....now, of course, they keep kids in, I think we benefited from being sent out in that, made us smart enough to not return once we were gone lol
IIRC we had a cutoff of about -32C for recess. Never made any sense to us because we walked to and from school in the morning and in the evening when it was a "tad" colder than that
12-15-2017, 06:24 PM - 1 Like   #42670
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was going to hang out on the forums but MacGyver is on!
12-15-2017, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #42671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But the funny thing is, there are more balls per minute in cricket than pitches per minute in baseball. Baseball fits the description "English cricket at its best, slow dull and boring" - but if beat them it is none of the above.
Sadly baseball has become a become a boring game. The way it was played in the first half of the 20th century was a totally different game. I doubt that a baseball team from today could actually beat a team from that era. Between squeeze plays, bunts, double steals, brushing back the batter etc the modern teams would have no answer except to hope their home run hitter can make contact.

There is a serious lack of baseball smarts out there today.
12-15-2017, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #42672
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Sadly baseball has become a become a boring game. The way it was played in the first half of the 20th century was a totally different game. I doubt that a baseball team from today could actually beat a team from that era. Between squeeze plays, bunts, double steals, brushing back the batter etc the modern teams would have no answer except to hope their home run hitter can make contact.

That's pretty much true of any sport that involves a team and a ball.
12-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #42673
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's pretty much true of any sport that involves a team and a ball.
My sport requires two.

12-15-2017, 08:16 PM - 2 Likes   #42674
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Notice that both the left tires have light under them.

An inch or two. That's how the car corners. Carries the inside front tire, sometimes 4 to 6 inches, and on real hard turns, like the chicane, bumping the curb will get the car up on the outside tires. I (and pretty much everyone else there) sometimes got the high side a foot or so.

Not quite like Joie Chitwood, but close. Stay with it, turn into it slightly to get it back down and it hooks up. Squirts the car down the straight to the next turn.

Awesome fun.

Even when one goes over the edge.

12-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #42675
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

Just heard something in the cricket commentary from the WACA that brought to mind a contrast with US sports. The commentator said "he hit the ball out there near THE SPONSOR'S sign". Note, the commentator did not name the sponsor. Wouldn't it be lovely in the US to have that, instead of the continuous shout-outs for the sponsor that half fill the day.

The sponsor gets value from having the sign, seen on TV, and the shirts and the print and website materials.

BTW: Australia 4/402 chasing England all out for 403. Australia will probably get a lead on the first innings.