Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2017, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #42901
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Feeling flat now, even though Rupert would be urging us to lift our chins.
and to photograph a squirrel.

12-21-2017, 09:46 PM - 2 Likes   #42902
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Still stunned at the news of Jim's passing, after an hour of going over my thoughts about him. A genuine open and honest character so full of life that he always perked up my day with his Rupert stories, his alter-ego Otis, and his many posts on PentaxForums.

I am very grateful that I came to know him a bit here on the forums. His memory will certainly last for so many of us. He was someone in this world to celebrate, even as we mourn.

RIP Rupert. We miss you.
12-21-2017, 10:30 PM - 3 Likes   #42903
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I for sure will miss that grumpy old Texan. Condolences to the family.
12-21-2017, 11:45 PM   #42904
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
some guys went aviking
they came down the river to a town called paris
the germans (franks) who lived there caved and said if you let us be you can have the area north of here
the norsemen said...sure
they settled what became Normandy and became normans themselves

the Vikings now normans attacked the germans (angles and Saxons) in England and ultimately won

so English is about 70% French, 25% german and the remainder a collection of borrowed words

i'm sure there are errors in detail but that is how the Vikings finally conquered England

good thing the normans became francophiles or a lot of us would be eating lutefisk

The Anglo-Saxon words are better than the French ones - everyone knows what they mean and you do not sound poncy saying them.

12-21-2017, 11:59 PM   #42905
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It is with great sorrow that I must report the death, on the morning of the 19th of December 2017, of James (Jim) Williams, known to many of you as "Rupert".
His obituary is here: James Williams « Wiley Funeral Home

Jim will be sorely missed, by his family and many friends including, of course, those of us who have interacted with him on PentaxForums and off.
Gail has asked that we help keep his memory alive and, of course, that of the eternal squirrel, Otis.

Jim has, over his life, helped a great many people and it's a great pity that we will no longer be able to hear more of his "Rupert stories". We think of Gail, Jim and Gail's sons and extended family and his mom during this difficult time. Please think of them this Christmas.

Very sad to hear the news, even though we had a sense it was coming.
12-22-2017, 01:14 AM - 1 Like   #42906
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It is with great sorrow that I must report the death, on the morning of the 19th of December 2017, of James (Jim) Williams, known to many of you as "Rupert".
His obituary is here: James Williams « Wiley Funeral Home

Jim will be sorely missed, by his family and many friends including, of course, those of us who have interacted with him on PentaxForums and off.
Gail has asked that we help keep his memory alive and, of course, that of the eternal squirrel, Otis.

Jim has, over his life, helped a great many people and it's a great pity that we will no longer be able to hear more of his "Rupert stories". We think of Gail, Jim and Gail's sons and extended family and his mom during this difficult time. Please think of them this Christmas.
This is terribly sad news, Mark. Thank you for letting us know... that can't have been easy.

Jim and I bumped heads on more than one occasion but we "buried the hatchet" some months ago, and I'm sincerely grateful for that. He will most certainly be missed around here.

I'm not the praying sort, but I'll raise a glass of something good to Jim this evening, with thoughts and sympathies for Gail and the family.
12-22-2017, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #42907
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
I will think of Jim and his family everytime I see a squirrel, bird or racoon until I join him.
Indeed. There are worse ways to be remembered than for having a heart for all living creatures.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm not the praying sort, but I'll raise a glass of something good to Jim this evening, with thoughts and sympathies for Gail and the family.
I'll join you, if you don't mind.

12-22-2017, 05:00 AM   #42908
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The Anglo-Saxon words are better than the French ones - everyone knows what they mean and you do not sound poncy saying them.
Mais le Français est une si belle langue sonore.

Aussi, et repose en paix Jim.
12-22-2017, 05:07 AM - 3 Likes   #42909
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rupert is gone. I think we all knew it was coming, but always it is too soon, always it is unfair. It will be some long time, if ever, that I will be able to open this thread without feeling some sorrow.. How good he was at making a limited number of photographic subjects always fresh, always worth seeing, and always worth reading his witty captions and comments. Peace be with him.
12-22-2017, 06:41 AM   #42910
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Damn.......

Damn!
I double that Damn. Jim always made me smile even when we still had P&R , I'll miss that guy, he's one of the reasons i kept coming back to the forum
12-22-2017, 07:20 AM - 4 Likes   #42911
Veteran Member

I've made donations to PF in the past, and purchased gear through the links, but my site supporter status had expired.
Last year Jim donated for me and some other members.
Remembering how much of an advocate he was for supporting PF, I've made a donation to honor his love of this forum.
It's the least I can do.
12-22-2017, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #42912
Veteran Member

Last year we had a large, messy river birch tree cut down from near our deck.
I use to hang bird feeders on its branches, and always did battle with squirrels.
I had not seen one since, until yesterday, he was sitting on a feeder chowing down on sunflower seeds.
This is before I knew of Jim's passing, I now see it as a message from the Army of Otis.
12-22-2017, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #42913
Veteran Member

Just saw the news of Jim's passing and I feel for his family members, especially at this time of the year. I always enjoyed his posts and will miss his merry banter. I will think of him whenever I see one of the many tree rats in my garden.
12-22-2017, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #42914
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers Jim, may you find peace wherever you are now!

When I visited "Squirrel Island" some years ago it was the obvious thought that this must be as close to Squirrel heaven as it can get ... so maybe the perfect place for old Rupert!

My thoughts are with his family.
12-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #42915
Pentaxian

So many responses to the sad news. Many from users I recognize, but some from people I have not seen for a long time or whose names I don't recognize.

Tells something of his effect on us.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »