Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #43576
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
THe forecast promised -9°C (16°F) when it turns out it is actually -18°C (0°F)...
in Toronto we got -10 (14f) this AM but it felt like -21 (-5.8f) with the wind chill. it's only going to warm up a couple of degrees so we are still under cold warning

---------- Post added 2nd Jan 2018 at 10:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
-15 when I took the dog over to her play group this morning.
the weather doesn't seem to phase Blu at all he would keep me out in this until I died of hypothermia

01-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #43577
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
we just made it to zero for the first time this year
01-02-2018, 10:01 AM   #43578
Veteran Member

Could you guys stop bragging, please - the weather in Munich (4 - 11°C this week) already has me depressed enough.
01-02-2018, 12:10 PM   #43579
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the weather doesn't seem to phase Blu at all he would keep me out in this until I died of hypothermia
Tralee is a Sheltie, equipped with a very thick fur coat. She seems during our walks to be vigorously energized by the cold weather. Her only problem, as with our previous Shelties, is the gradual build-up of little ice balls between the pads of her paws. Once those form, even if we pinch them out with our fingers, they re-form very quickly. Tralee does not like summer heat. Makes her pokey on walks and she'll stop at sandy spots, scratch off loose surface material, and roll for a while on the exposed cooler-damper sand beneath.

Attached Images

01-02-2018, 12:52 PM   #43580
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Tralee is a Sheltie, equipped with a very thick fur coat. She seems during our walks to be vigorously energized by the cold weather. Her only problem, as with our previous Shelties, is the gradual build-up of little ice balls between the pads of her paws. Once those form, even if we pinch them out with our fingers, they re-form very quickly. Tralee does not like summer heat. Makes her pokey on walks and she'll stop at sandy spots, scratch off loose surface material, and roll for a while on the exposed cooler-damper sand beneath.
good looking dog!

of the multitude of dogs in our house only two have had close coats
ice between the toes just came with the territory

you might try booties...none of ours would tolerate them
or instead of picking out the ice try warming it...takes longer and you get cold but it works
I normally just use my hands but have tried the little chemical hand warmers from cabela's or dick's I think
01-02-2018, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #43581
Veteran Member

No icy paw problem for labs.

01-02-2018, 01:40 PM - 2 Likes   #43582
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Could you guys stop bragging, please - the weather in Munich (4 - 11°C this week) already has me depressed enough.
Warmer than here, then, but not by too much. All we have is a cycle of -2°C and snow, then 4°C turning the snow into slush, then -2°C so the slush freezes to slippery ice, some more snow, slush, ice... Looks to be heading down over the next few days, though.

Oh well, be that as it may. I'm taking a break from the miserable darkness of Northern winter. If a plane from South African Airways goes down tomorrow you'll know why I went silent all of a sudden. With some luck, though, I'll be back to bother you in a couple of weeks

And no, there will be no K-3 there to witness me being eaten by a lion either. (Don't worry, I'm sure some bozo will stream it live on Youtube from his phone.)

I'm sure there will be wireless zones all over the place. I should be able to keep my friendly wisdom and sage advice flowing freely most of the time anyway - no reason to panic.

01-02-2018, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #43583
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I should be able to keep my friendly wisdom and sage advice flowing freely most of the time anyway - no reason to panic.
Thank goodness for that!
Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
01-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #43584
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
good looking dog!

of the multitude of dogs in our house only two have had close coats
ice between the toes just came with the territory

you might try booties...none of ours would tolerate them
or instead of picking out the ice try warming it...takes longer and you get cold but it works
I normally just use my hands but have tried the little chemical hand warmers from cabela's or dick's I think
We tried booties about 20 years back on Vaila Brae, our daughter's sheltie. Watching her walk, as if on eggs or stepping on hot coals, was an absolute scream!! Eventually she did tolerate them - - sort of. Tralee does hot have anything like the trouble VB had,.T's toes are close and dainty. VB, a much larger sheltie, had toes that splayed widely and invited the snow to accumulate between her pads.
01-02-2018, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #43585
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No icy paw problem for labs.
even late at night Blu is relentless snow, no snow, middle of the night,,, throw the d*mn ball

01-02-2018, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #43586
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Warmer than here, then, but not by too much. All we have is a cycle of -2°C and snow, then 4°C turning the snow into slush, then -2°C so the slush freezes to slippery ice, some more snow, slush, ice... Looks to be heading down over the next few days, though.

Oh well, be that as it may. I'm taking a break from the miserable darkness of Northern winter. If a plane from South African Airways goes down tomorrow you'll know why I went silent all of a sudden. With some luck, though, I'll be back to bother you in a couple of weeks

And no, there will be no K-3 there to witness me being eaten by a lion either. (Don't worry, I'm sure some bozo will stream it live on Youtube from his phone.)

I'm sure there will be wireless zones all over the place. I should be able to keep my friendly wisdom and sage advice flowing freely most of the time anyway - no reason to panic.
have fun

this story is true however the advice is supposed to be apocryphal...
a ranger at one of the lay-bys on the lamar river was talking to some very concerned tourists about bears
he told his audience that it was really quite simple to tell a black bear from a grizzly
if the bear only killed you, it was probably a grizzly
if it ate you as well, then it was likely a black bear

my advice is don't get killed or eaten
01-02-2018, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #43587
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank goodness for that!
Reminder to self: Never, never, EVER, play poker with Bob!

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!
Thanks! I trust we will.
01-02-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #43588
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
even late at night Blu is relentless snow, no snow, middle of the night,,, throw the d*mn ball

heeler?

boisterous beasts and borderline narcissists...it's all about them...play play play...NOW...or they'll herd you and remind you why they are called heelers
01-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #43589
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
have fun

this story is true however the advice is supposed to be apocryphal...
a ranger at one of the lay-bys on the lamar river was talking to some very concerned tourists about bears
he told his audience that it was really quite simple to tell a black bear from a grizzly
if the bear only killed you, it was probably a grizzly
if it ate you as well, then it was likely a black bear

my advice is don't get killed or eaten
Thanks, I didn't really concider that option... In my head it was always a choice between being stomped by a buffalo or eaten by a lion.

On a more serious note, we never walk without a guide in areas where there's big game. And only on a few occasions have I seen a guide nervous. And only once really shaken. They generally are very good at what they do. The most dangerous thing we'll do on this trip is to hire a car for a few days. Traffic is by far the biggest killer.

And on that cheery note: Good night!
01-02-2018, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #43590
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hi all
Can you send some of that snow and ice to us? It's 42C on Friday and weekend...............please

Dave