Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #43591
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks, I didn't really concider that option... In my head it was always a choice between being stomped by a buffalo or eaten by a lion.

On a more serious note, we never walk without a guide in areas where there's big game. And only on a few occasions have I seen a guide nervous. And only once really shaken. They generally are very good at what they do. The most dangerous thing we'll do on this trip is to hire a car for a few days. Traffic is by far the biggest killer.

And on that cheery note: Good night!
on our trip to Tanzania, there was a game book at each of the lodges where you were invited to note what you had seen that day.

I always ended by writing:

" We obeyed the rules, we did not feed the animals and we returned alive "

01-02-2018, 03:14 PM - 1 Like   #43592
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
heeler?

boisterous beasts and borderline narcissists...it's all about them...play play play...NOW...or they'll herd you and remind you why they are called heelers

Yep my second heeler ....
you think I would have learned first time
01-02-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #43593
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
No icy paw problem for labs.
I do believe labs are WR, perhaps even AW

a lot of handsome critters today!
01-02-2018, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #43594
Veteran Member

Well, my town is the coldest spot in BC right now, even though it's relatively warm at -19°C (-2°F).

01-03-2018, 12:04 AM - 2 Likes   #43595
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I drove to Wales, and the weather was dreich, but about 5-7C. Very nice day of driving about, seeing the hills of Snowdonia with mist around the tops.

Today driving home from Chester - must be the original Chester before the copycats at Manchester and all the other Chester variants got going.

And just north west of here there are all these places named after soccer teams, like Liverpool, Manchester, Bolton, Macclesfield, Wigan, Huddersfield, Leeds, Sheffield (where they only play on Wednesdays), Barnsley, and a whole bunch of others.
01-03-2018, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #43596
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Sheffield (where they only play on Wednesdays)
droll. very droll, Tim
01-03-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #43597
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks, I didn't really concider that option... In my head it was always a choice between being stomped by a buffalo or eaten by a lion.

On a more serious note, we never walk without a guide in areas where there's big game. And only on a few occasions have I seen a guide nervous. And only once really shaken. They generally are very good at what they do. The most dangerous thing we'll do on this trip is to hire a car for a few days. Traffic is by far the biggest killer.

And on that cheery note: Good night!
our bison seem to be the crankiest, maybe because they tend to be the most accessible

people are so removed from nature that they forget it's wild not TV
every trip out west there will be some Jehu courting disaster
they aren't cows and anything that can move a car off the road is probably too big to antagonize

that said I've even had whitetail bucks in the midst of rut challenge me on a trail
this year we had a bighorn ram square off against our car...a fifteen minute wait while his testosterone became depleted

you just never know

01-03-2018, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #43598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
droll. very droll, Tim

Well, of course.

People over here think really interestingly. It is quite fun trying to understand them.
01-03-2018, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #43599
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote
our bison seem to be the crankiest, maybe because they tend to be the most accessible

people are so removed from nature that they forget it's wild not TV
every trip out west there will be some Jehu courting disaster
they aren't cows and anything that can move a car off the road is probably too big to antagonize

that said I've even had whitetail bucks in the midst of rut challenge me on a trail
this year we had a bighorn ram square off against our car...a fifteen minute wait while his testosterone became depleted

you just never know
I was on a bus tour through Custer State Park, many passengers got mad when the driver refused to open the door when we were surrounded by a herd of bison

They wanted to get out and take photos

Bulls, cows and calves

Dumb people
01-03-2018, 09:46 AM - 5 Likes   #43600
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I was on a bus tour through Custer State Park, many passengers got mad when the driver refused to open the door when we were surrounded by a herd of bison

Bulls, cows and calves

Dumb people
I don't blame the driver. There's way too much paperwork involved when Darwin comes a'callin...
01-03-2018, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #43601
Veteran Member

Bulls, cows and calves

Dumb people
my two favorites so far happen to both be german tourists

in Yellowstone a younger guy decided to pet a buffalo while his girlfriend iphoned him
the kid got a pretty good head butt
had enough sense to boogie
mel gibsoned over the hood of his rental which followed him into the ditch when the bull hit it

in denali a quite lovely photographer pursued a cow and calf moose into an alder thicket along a creek
we heard some thrashing and a cameraless woman came ou moving at a rapid pace through the blueberries
her enormous tripod, ginormous lens and whatever it was attached to remained behind
the cow poked her head out and kind of looked around then went back into her family

I've defied Darwin on occasion but I never wanted to be a meat puddle
01-03-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #43602
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have seen old movies taken in Yellowstone Park during a "bear jam" in which tourists got out of their car and attempted to put their child atop a bear for a picture!!!!!

As my high school physics teacher used to say: "Remember, the majority of people have average intelligence, but the average is very low."
01-03-2018, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #43603
Pentaxian

While driving along the M42 today, near Birmingham, another lace named after a soccer business (John English sang about it in the 70s), I saw a sign at the exit to the A34 which had a sign that it was the way to Shirley. I had no idea that I was so near the scene of Charlemagne's mighty battle of Poitiers, 732.
01-03-2018, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #43604
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
While driving along the M42 today, near Birmingham, another lace named after a soccer business (John English sang about it in the 70s), I saw a sign at the exit to the A34 which had a sign that it was the way to Shirley. I had no idea that I was so near the scene of Charlemagne's mighty battle of Poitiers, 732.
you've lost me this time

Shirley has connections to top gear, profumo , cricket and an aldi...Charles martel and poitiers?

---------- Post added 01-03-18 at 01:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi all
Can you send some of that snow and ice to us? It's 42C on Friday and weekend...............please

Dave
we'll have that ourselves in six or seven months

bert might load up a couple of container lods with his bobcat though
01-03-2018, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #43605
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Bulls, cows and calves

Dumb people
We have people hurt or killed there fairly often.
You can't fix stupid but buffalo occasionally remove some of it from the gene pool.