Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #43996
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think that's banned under the Geneva Convention, to post about good fish and chips to Canadians who can't get any!
Make your own Bert.

01-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #43997
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm impressed and delighted that you're informed of the delicacy, Bert It's not fancy eating, but it's big here locally, and one of my favourite treats. Not for every day, nor every week even (or waistlines would suffer badly ), but I try to partake every few weeks. Never disappoints
Whenever we're over we go straight to the chip shop, it's convenient the relatives live only a few blocks down
Have had okay fish at only one or two places here, but no good chips.
01-20-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #43998
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Make your own Bert.
We do, we do. At least we make our own chips, much better than these beloved french fries over here.
Making the prefect fish is not as easy as the chippy makes it seem.
01-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #43999
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Whenever we're over we go straight to the chip shop, it's convenient the relatives live only a few blocks down
Have had okay fish at only one or two places here, but no good chips.
not sure where I got the idea but I thought true " fish and chips "

were served in a basket filled by newspaper with the food on top

is that true

01-20-2018, 06:29 PM   #44000
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Whenever we're over we go straight to the chip shop
Over here where?
The UK?
01-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #44001
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure where I got the idea but I thought true " fish and chips " were served in a basket filled by newspaper with the food on top is that true
Often wrapped in newspaper, yes, though baskets only if you're eating in
01-20-2018, 07:07 PM   #44002
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
not sure where I got the idea but I thought true " fish and chips "

were served in a basket filled by newspaper with the food on top

is that true
Sure.

Nothing like adding a dose of toxic printer's ink to the grease the fish and chips are boiled in.

01-20-2018, 07:08 PM   #44003
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Over here where? The UK?
Aye, aye.
01-20-2018, 11:15 PM   #44004
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Not sure what is worse; 42F or 40C? I think that I prefer the cold

It depends where.

42F in Oxford is a positively warm, very pleasant day, at this time of year. Could be some snow about now, but after sunrise it will warm up, and rain.
40C in Adelaide is pretty bad, cooks the fruit on the fruit trees. Sad after tending the tree all year.
40C in Taipei, in the tropics, is very rare, but just about unbearable because of the humidity, which means there is not even any relief getting in the shade.

I have experienced all three, at least once (often for the first two), and survived them all.
01-20-2018, 11:33 PM   #44005
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So, my cousin is coming over here tomorrow. He's having a tough time right now at home, so I'm taking him and my folks to lunch at one of my favourite local eateries... Downey's, which serves (in my view) the best fish & chips in the North East of England, and possibly in the whole country (unless you go in for that expensive designer cuisine, of course):

http://www.downeysfishandchips.co.uk/downloads/Downeys%20Place%20Mat%20Combined.pdf

I usually go for the large Haddock meal deal... battered fish, chips (not "crisps", not "potato fries", but good old fat English "chips" ), mushy peas, tartare sauce, bread and butter, and tea with milk. Huge plates of fresh, tasty, well-cooked food. Inexpensive too. Followed by a short and invigorating walk along the local coastline. Can't wait

Sounds good.

Last night we had a disappointment with some fish. My wife found a deal at the local Sainburys and went to buy some salmon. They were offering salmon fillet cut into segments and whole fillets. The whole fillets were what she got but they did not have the expected structure for salmon fillet, they broke too much under the knife. On recall, we realised the whole fillets were paler in the shop than the cut pieces. The quality made it seem as though they had sourced them differently. Seems like one of those bad practices in shops here of offering different qualities in different physical forms or quantities, not just the same thing presented differently. Such a contrast to Australia. There the supermarket would ship the whole fillets, and from time to time the assistant at the fish counter would slice a whole one to make it the pieces version. In Australia the whole one would be cheaper weight because you were buying a lot at a time and it took less work in the shop. At Sainsburys, the same price differential, but it seems because they had sourced different quality product, not because of the reasons cited for the Australian price differential.

The disappointment was enough that we might not go back there for salmon.
01-20-2018, 11:34 PM   #44006
Pentaxian

I think that's banned under the Geneva Convention, to post about good fish and chips to Canadians who can't get any!

All they need to do is learn how to cook good fish and chips, then they will have a continuous supply.
01-21-2018, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #44007
Pentaxian

Snowing a bit now, just as I said earlier. Started when I went to take the rubbish out.

Just enough to look pretty. I like how it settles on the branches of trees.
01-21-2018, 02:43 AM   #44008
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It depends where.

42F in Oxford is a positively warm, very pleasant day, at this time of year. Could be some snow about now, but after sunrise it will warm up, and rain.
40C in Adelaide is pretty bad, cooks the fruit on the fruit trees. Sad after tending the tree all year.
40C in Taipei, in the tropics, is very rare, but just about unbearable because of the humidity, which means there is not even any relief getting in the shade.

I have experienced all three, at least once (often for the first two), and survived them all.
I'm born in the Netherlands and lived there for 40 years. If I recall correctly, 5C was a warm winter day. I now live in South Africa in a region where 0C is a cold night in winter.

Went on holiday to the Kruger national park this Christmas and had 2 weeks of dry 40C.

And I know what you mean by humidity. Spent a few times a week in Sri Lanka; when the doors of the airplane open, the sudden heat and humidity hits one badly.
01-21-2018, 03:36 AM   #44009
Pentaxian

Often wrapped in newspaper, yes, though baskets only if you're eating in
At least in the South, the chippies use proper food wrapping paper nowadays because newspapers were prohibited for that use many years ago. Don't know about the "North" as they might still be in the "Dark Ages"!

BTW: down "here" most of the chippies (and other fast food chains) have been run by immigrant families for decades, and our local one of choice does a grand job - had a very good cod (1 large piece serves us both!) & chips on Friday night
01-21-2018, 06:51 AM   #44010
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Good to be back, and see the topics are still mostly on filling our bellies with 'comfort food'.

My wife and I have moved south for the rest of the winter - probably not too far from Ruppert's (R.I.P.) stomping grounds in south-central Texas. The transition has been an adventure, but sadly no time for either photography or pleasurable time on the Internet.