Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2018, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #45076
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... now I'm really confused. Most of us here in the UK think you call them shrimp. We're certain they're shrimp in America. I thought only us Brits called them prawns (shrimp are the tiny brown things)...
the difference appears to be

as clear as mud

read and watch

Prawn vs Shrimp - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

03-14-2018, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #45077
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've a hankering for some monkfish lately, and on the few occasions I've cooked it in the past, I've wrapped it in prosciutto ... but the thread talk here, and my recent re-discovery, has me thinking that small cubes of SPAM fried in a little soy sauce would be an excellent accompaniment instead of the prosciutto. I'm sure I'm breaking some foodie rule pairing monkfish with highly processed, mechanically reclaimed meat, but it sounds soooo good to me <drool>
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Add a little Velveeta and you've nailed it!
bonk
03-14-2018, 05:08 PM - 3 Likes   #45078
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After consuming a bunch of Boudin... I might have to look in to a lighter alternative.
This does look very good.
03-14-2018, 05:09 PM   #45079
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

just turned on the television ( telly for some of you ) and started to watch the newest episode of NATURE being broadcast on my local PBS station at 7 PM local

the show

Nature - H Is for Hawk: A New Chapter
Helen Macdonald's best-selling book H Is for Hawk told the saga of a grieving daughter who found healing in training a goshawk. Now she digs deeper into the world of these raptors by following a family in the wild and raising a goshawk of her own.

although it is not listed yet these shows are often listed on the web site and available to view on:

Episodes | Nature | PBS

03-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #45080
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Shrimps.

Shrimp cocktail.

Most of these people are waiting to get one or two. Nelson's is a cannery, with a small storefront that offers up shrimp and crab cocktails, smoked fish and shellfish, and canned shrimp.

A while back Mrs. Racer was away and left me to fend for myself. I whipped up this prawn stir fry. I shot the image just before the prawns were perfectly cooked.

It was delicious.

I love prawns.

Big ones.

Scampi. The really big ones.

Shelled, tail on, deveined, marinated and grilled over a mesquite fire is best.
03-14-2018, 06:26 PM   #45081
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
5 minutes prepping the ribs
5 minutes setting up the charcoal smoker
5 hours drinking beer and Voila!

I bet it took more than 10 minutes to eat all that didn't it?
03-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #45082
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
To me the taste of shrimp is like listening to fingernails drag across a blackboard.

I simply cannot abide the taste.

03-14-2018, 11:05 PM   #45083
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
And this, too ... roasted seaweed. Yummy and move over BBQ ...

OK, I will stop here. Feeling in a relatively good mood since we had a good day in court this morning ... more info later. Promise.

Did you get your client off a possible all expenses paid, including accommodation, food and clothes, and even the entertainments provided, holiday in the government's resort?
03-14-2018, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #45084
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
just turned on the television ( telly for some of you ) and started to watch the newest episode of NATURE being broadcast on my local PBS station at 7 PM local

the show

Nature - H Is for Hawk: A New Chapter
Helen Macdonald's best-selling book H Is for Hawk told the saga of a grieving daughter who found healing in training a goshawk. Now she digs deeper into the world of these raptors by following a family in the wild and raising a goshawk of her own.

although it is not listed yet these shows are often listed on the web site and available to view on:

Episodes | Nature | PBS

It is obviously a telly. When turned on it tells you lots of stuff but never responds to the return side of the conversation, which is kind of suicidal given the way Englishmen are famous for throwing stuff at their unresponsive telly when it tells them that their favourite soccer team just let through ONE, only ONE, goal to the opposition, especially if it is a referee assisted goal.
03-14-2018, 11:15 PM   #45085
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Shrimp cocktail.

Most of these people are waiting to get one or two. Nelson's is a cannery, with a small storefront that offers up shrimp and crab cocktails, smoked fish and shellfish, and canned shrimp.

A while back Mrs. Racer was away and left me to fend for myself. I whipped up this prawn stir fry. I shot the image just before the prawns were perfectly cooked.

It was delicious.

I love prawns.

Big ones.

Scampi. The really big ones.

Shelled, tail on, deveined, marinated and grilled over a mesquite fire is best.

Looks a bit like the food MrsTim often cooks. She has different taste in the vegetable choice but the pleasure of eating is still present.
03-15-2018, 12:57 AM   #45086
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
It is obviously a telly. When turned on it tells you lots of stuff but never responds to the return side of the conversation, which is kind of suicidal given the way Englishmen are famous for throwing stuff at their unresponsive telly when it tells them that their favourite soccer team just let through ONE, only ONE, goal to the opposition, especially if it is a referee assisted goal.
I thought it was football over there?

if you feel that way

you must remember this goal with fond memories then

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2018 at 02:21 AM.
03-15-2018, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #45087
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Has Jean P been hibernating over winter?
Welcome back, with the not unusual multiple posts!
Hey ... I still about and reading here from time to time ... just have not been feeling very witty nor sociable as of late.

I will explain a bit more later once I have the final results in writing ... looks quite good so far, but fingers still crossed, so to speak.

A plus tard, J
03-15-2018, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #45088
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey ... I still about and reading here from time to time ... just have not been feeling very witty nor sociable as of late.

I will explain a bit more later once I have the final results in writing ... looks quite good so far, but fingers still crossed, so to speak.

A plus tard, J
Hope you're OK Jean.
03-15-2018, 02:48 AM - 2 Likes   #45089
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Hope you're OK Jean.
Merci MJ ... things are looking up here and Spring is coming soon, so it's all good.

The family is healthy and all are going forward in a positive direction ... and that is the most important for me. It looks like my oldest daughter will be going to medical school in the fall after high school graduation. Since she is a year ahead (soon to be just 17), we have agreed that she will do her first and very, very hard year of medical school in Poitiers at the university and live at home. We have agreed that her "job" is to study, study, study ... and that I (we) would take care of her meals, laundry, transportation, etc. She stated the other day that she was more interested in internal medicine and/or surgery after attending a short medical orientation conference ... we'll see. Her two young sisters are doing great, too.
03-15-2018, 02:55 AM   #45090
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Merci MJ ... things are looking up here and Spring is coming soon, so it's all good.

The family is healthy and all are going forward in a positive direction ... and that is the most important for me. It looks like my oldest daughter will be going to medical school in the fall after high school graduation. Since she is a year ahead (soon to be just 17), we have agreed that she will do her first and very, very hard year of medical school in Poitiers at the university and live at home. We have agreed that her "job" is to study, study, study ... and that I (we) would take care of her meals, laundry, transportation, etc. She stated the other day that she was more interested in internal medicine and/or surgery after attending a short medical orientation conference ... we'll see. Her two young sisters are doing great, too.
my graduating high school class was small 84 but set several records for the high school

athletic as well as academic:

about 60 percent of us went on to a 4 year college - resulting in one veterinarian, one dentist, several CPAs as well as several attorneys and one guy who we all claimed was receiving money from his father's estate as long as he was in school -

he was one of three kids, he had an older brother and he was a paternal twin and his dad died when he was a junior. his dad was the only doctor in town.

my classmate also became a doctor and while doing his residency in Chicago went to and graduated from law school

Tom is back in the same small town, also the town's doctor, not sure if he ever practiced law