Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2018, 03:01 AM   #45091
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
given the way Englishmen are famous for throwing stuff at their unresponsive telly when it tells them that their favourite soccer team just let through ONE, only ONE, goal to the opposition, especially if it is a referee assisted goal.
This isn't limited to football, nor indeed televisions. As a child, I learned from my Dad that most items of unreliable or faulty equipment can be repaired and adjusted quite efficiently by either hitting them with the palm of your hand, or throwing weighty objects at them... I believe we got a good ten years' extra service from one already-ageing TV using this simple and effective technique, and I'd like to think we Brits pioneered it. It's still in use right across the country...

03-15-2018, 03:04 AM   #45092
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This isn't limited to football, nor indeed televisions. As a child, I learned from my Dad that most items of unreliable or faulty equipment can be repaired and adjusted quite efficiently by either hitting them with the palm of your hand, or throwing weighty objects at them... I believe we got a good ten years' extra service from one already-ageing TV using this simple and effective technique, and I'd like to think we Brits pioneered it. It's still in use right across the country...
so in your country

would a " smart TV "

be one capable of learning to ' behave ' from the mere threat of violence ?

Smart TV - Wikipedia
03-15-2018, 03:10 AM   #45093
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
so in your country

would a " smart TV "

be one capable of learning to ' behave ' from the mere threat of violence ?
Indeed so. Of course, "smart" TVs weren't available back then. We had what might best be described as a "stupid" TV. It never learned that, each time it malfunctioned, it would receive a sharp slap upside the wood-effect cabinet...
03-15-2018, 03:13 AM   #45094
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Indeed so. Of course, "smart" TVs weren't available back then. We had what might best be described as a "stupid" TV. It never learned that, each time it malfunctioned, it would receive a sharp slap upside the wood-effect cabinet...
hmm

Difference Between Punishment and Abuse | Punishment vs Abuse

the debate continues

( please note, physical abuse is no joke )

03-15-2018, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #45095
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Merci MJ ... things are looking up here and Spring is coming soon, so it's all good.

The family is healthy and all are going forward in a positive direction ... and that is the most important for me. It looks like my oldest daughter will be going to medical school in the fall after high school graduation. Since she is a year ahead (soon to be just 17), we have agreed that she will do her first and very, very hard year of medical school in Poitiers at the university and live at home. We have agreed that her "job" is to study, study, study ... and that I (we) would take care of her meals, laundry, transportation, etc. She stated the other day that she was more interested in internal medicine and/or surgery after attending a short medical orientation conference ... we'll see. Her two young sisters are doing great, too.
That's good to hear, Jean.
03-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #45096
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
That's good to hear, Jean.
I second that!
03-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #45097
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I thought it was football over there?

if you feel that way

you must remember this goal with fond memories then

Maradona 'Hand of God' Goal 1986 World Cup - YouTube
Calling it soccer distinguishes it from all the other brands of football, including the American brand, NFL?

03-15-2018, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #45098
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I read an article in one of the IRE Transactions, learned journal of what is now IEEE , dated early to mid 1950s. The article was about the LA police radio network. It referred to 'temporary repairs' done with a blow inflicted by the foot upon the radio set in the trunk of the police car.

Can you cite me an earlier reference in the learned literature.
03-15-2018, 04:26 PM - 2 Likes   #45099
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry, I read an article in one of the IRE Transactions, learned journal of what is now IEEE , dated early to mid 1950s. The article was about the LA police radio network. It referred to 'temporary repairs' done with a blow inflicted by the foot upon the radio set in the trunk of the police car.

That's known as a "Brogan adjustment".
03-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #45100
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Alas, no. But I can anecdotally date it to a similar period... My grandad acquired his first ever radio receiver, a used ECKO model, not long after he returned home from WWII. My dad remembers him striking the radio repeatedly (and quite frustratedly) to bring it back to life whilst listening to a boxing event on shortwave, in what my dad tells me would have been the early fifties
03-15-2018, 04:50 PM   #45101
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Calling it soccer distinguishes it from all the other brands of football, including the American brand, NFL?
despite my obvious limitations, I know about

US Football

Canadian Football

rugby

Australian Rules Foot ball [ thanks to the early years of ESPN ]

and the fact what we call soccer is called futball or football by the rest of the known world

---------- Post added 03-15-18 at 18:52 ----------

Alas, no. But I can anecdotally date it to a similar period... My grandad acquired his first ever radio receiver, a used ECKO model, not long after he returned home from WWII. My dad remembers him striking the radio repeatedly (and quite frustratedly) to bring it back to life whilst listening to a boxing event on shortwave, in what my dad tells me would have been the early fifties
having no personal experience I do think that the technique dates not from the early years of the automobile ( although it was used then )

but the timely application of a sturdy piece of wood to portions of a mule or ox ( or teen ager )

head or tail was the target depending on the situation

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2018 at 04:56 PM.
03-15-2018, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #45102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do know there are two varieties of rigby?
Rugby Union, played by gentlemen masquerading as thugs
and Rugby League, played by thugs living their dream of being thugs.

And remember that Tim60 is really an Aussie so his tendency will be to call the 'world game' soccer, to distinguish it from real (Aussie Rules) football.

Although over the last few years the soccer authorities here are insisting their game be called football also.
So Sydney FC play soccer, and Sydney Swans Football Club play football!!
03-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #45103
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You do know there are two varieties of rigby?
Rugby Union, played by gentlemen masquerading as thugs
and Rugby League, played by thugs living their dream of being thugs.

And remember that Tim60 is really an Aussie so his tendency will be to call the 'world game' soccer, to distinguish it from real (Aussie Rules) football.

Although over the last few years the soccer authorities here are insisting their game be called football also.
So Sydney FC play soccer, and Sydney Swans Football Club play football!!
I did not know about rigby

nor those fine distinctions about rugby nor the dispute down under

tim 60 is not ided by the Aussie flag

is he sailing under false colours ? (Note the intentional mis spelling of the word color )

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
03-15-2018, 05:18 PM - 4 Likes   #45104
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did not know those fine distinctions about rugby nor the dispute down under

tim 60 is not ided by the Aussie flag

is he sailing under false colours ? (Note the intentional mis spelling of the word color )
Colour. Flavour. Aluminium.
03-15-2018, 05:28 PM - 2 Likes   #45105
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Colour. Flavour. Aluminium.
Behaviour, harbour, honour, humour, labour, neighbour, rumour, splendour...

Calibre, centre, fibre, goitre, litre, lustre, manoeuvre, meagre, metre, mitre, nitre, ochre, reconnoitre, sabre, saltpetre, sepulchre, sombre, spectre, theatre...

... and many more
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »