Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #45181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
... and then I bought her some more rose bushes for the garden.
The girlfriend is currently away visiting her family, so I got her a Dionaea muscipula (venus flytrap) that I'll deposit in her room with the help of her flatmate before she returns. Already repotted it, fed it a bit, now I'm just waiting for the outer pot to arrive.

Isn't that, eh, almost as romantic as your rose bushes?

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As an aside (and I may have mentioned this before), during my (now elapsed) time as a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, I tried a couple of Japanese single malts - made using peat imported from the UK - and they were fantastic. One of them, I believe, won an award for best whisky of the year, much to the chagrin of the Scottish distilleries...
I was always curious about Japanese malts because of the high praise heaped upon them, but every time I encountered one in a pub they were so darn expensive that I couldn't justify it on my student budget Maybe one day.

03-19-2018, 03:12 AM   #45182
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for the first year of our marriage

some trouble maker kept sending, without any note, her pink roses ( the flowers she chose to feature at our wedding ) on the 7th of each month at her place of employment

of course I got blamed but everyone knows that I don't have a romantic bone in my body

and flowers are expensive

[ however it is true that I wasn't buying photography equipment in '91 ]
03-19-2018, 05:42 AM - 2 Likes   #45183
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

To me, US spellings often seem simplified - and I mean that in a positive way...
Much thanks to Noah Webster, I believe. I would rather he hadn't, though - it makes it even harder for us furriners to keep our spelling reasonably correct and consistent.
03-19-2018, 05:49 AM - 2 Likes   #45184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Much thanks to Noah Webster, I believe. I would rather he hadn't, though - it makes it even harder for us furriners to keep our spelling reasonably correct and consistent.

And then they changed the grammar, so they write: "I write you" to mean "I write to you", but allowing the ambiguity of "I write "you"".

That change of grammar must have been though up by a lawyer seeking a picnic.

03-19-2018, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #45185
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

As an aside (and I may have mentioned this before), during my (now elapsed) time as a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, I tried a couple of Japanese single malts - made using peat imported from the UK - and they were fantastic. One of them, I believe, won an award for best whisky of the year, much to the chagrin of the Scottish distilleries...
I know a Yamazaki has won the award, possibly one from Nikka as well. While I think the Japanese malts are good I still prefer the "cheap" stuff from Islay and the Orkneys
03-19-2018, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #45186
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And then they changed the grammar, so they write: "I write you" to mean "I write to you", but allowing the ambiguity of "I write "you"".

That change of grammar must have been though up by a lawyer seeking a picnic.
I hear what you say me
03-19-2018, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #45187
Veteran Member

03-19-2018, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #45188
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

(I believe our Australian friends might want to insert a "roots" in there...)
03-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #45189
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
. . . a lawyer seeking a picnic.
why do --- a [ u ] nts ---- show up for a picnic

but never uncles

[ University of Illinois - Urbana, - B A '79, The Drake University Law School - Doctor of Jurisprudence ' 82 ]

hey, I know that I have made it now

I just got my official notice " from " the IRS advising me that my family and I are being investigated for tax fraud and since we had not responded to previous (??? what previous ) phone calls, we were considered as intentionally attempting to defraud the US

one last chance to act, we were given a phone number area code 707 to call immediately

most interesting thing of the phone call was the broken speech pattern as the voice was either recorded and then broken up and recorded again or computer generated very badly

such an obvious scam

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2018 at 02:04 PM.
03-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #45190
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

(I believe our Australian friends might want to insert a "roots" in there...)
Can confirm, and I'm not even Australian!
03-19-2018, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #45191
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
why do --- a [ u ] nts ---- show up for a picnic

but never uncles

[ University of Illinois - Urbana, - B A '79, The Drake University Law School - Doctor of Jurisprudence ' 82 ]

hey, I know that I have made it now

I just got my official notice " from " the IRS advising me that my family and I are being investigated for tax fraud and since we had not responded to previous (??? what previous ) phone calls, we were considered as intentionally attempting to defraud the US

one last chance to act, we were given a phone number area code 707 to call immediately

most interesting thing of the phone call was the broken speech pattern as the voice was either recorded and then broken up and recorded again or computer generated very badly

such an obvious scam
I get, every so often, these calls from a supposedly Microsoft employee hoping to help me with my computer's "problems". In the background, lots of noise - call centre in India. My game is to see how long I can make the phone call last. In my best effort to date, I've managed to pass the call to another person in the office, complete with a decent period of holding on.

A very good friend of mine also taught me the trick as to what to do with junk mail that includes self-addressed pre-paid envelopes: What you do is you gather up as much other junk mail as you can and cram that into the envelope until it's bulging at the seams and mail it back.
03-19-2018, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #45192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Can confirm, and I'm not even Australian!
Speaking of Australia, how can I get my hands on some platypus milk?
https://futurism.com/antibiotic-resistance-platypus-milk/
03-19-2018, 02:58 PM   #45193
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

" let's eat grandma " suggestion

looks like a stew would be best, soften up the old bird

via slow cooking

---------- Post added 03-19-18 at 17:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Speaking of Australia, how can I get my hands on some platypus milk?
Our Latest Weapon Against Antibiotic Resistance? Platypus Milk
if you are doing the milking

make sure it isn't a male and when handling the male

avoid the venom found in the spur of the rear ankle on the males, especially during mating season

Platypus venom: painful, immediate, long-lasting, impervious to painkillers.

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-19-2018 at 03:10 PM.
03-19-2018, 04:08 PM - 3 Likes   #45194
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you are doing the milking

make sure it isn't a male
I'm not going to say what I'm thinking, other than yes, probably some good advice.
03-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #45195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had some "Old Crock" extra sharp cheese and crackers last night. Was preety good,
Could have been even better if I had some Victoria Bitters to wash them down with.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.