Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2018, 07:24 PM   #45241
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

(I believe our Australian friends might want to insert a "roots" in there...)

Roots?

03-19-2018, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #45242
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Speaking of Australia, how can I get my hands on some platypus milk?
Our Latest Weapon Against Antibiotic Resistance? Platypus Milk

Get yourself a pet platypus and milk it.
03-19-2018, 07:30 PM - 2 Likes   #45243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
maybe blondes are considered worthy of worship in Scandinavia
Maybe the Scandinavian members of this forum care to comment. Me, being from Finland do not count
03-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #45244
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

i thought IKEA made furniture

IKEA doesn't make the furniture, they sell it.

03-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #45245
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
It was all for fun, testing her level of consecration while shooting in competition.

Consecration?

Is she Catholic?
03-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #45246
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe the Scandinavian members of this forum care to comment. Me, being from Finland do not count

Mika is one of your countrymen.

He has blond hair.

03-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #45247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

He has blond hair.

And can drive but just a Finn, not Scandinavian.

03-19-2018, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #45248
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I get, every so often, these calls from a supposedly Microsoft employee hoping to help me with my computer's "problems". In the background, lots of noise - call centre in India. My game is to see how long I can make the phone call last. In my best effort to date, I've managed to pass the call to another person in the office, complete with a decent period of holding on.

A very good friend of mine also taught me the trick as to what to do with junk mail that includes self-addressed pre-paid envelopes: What you do is you gather up as much other junk mail as you can and cram that into the envelope until it's bulging at the seams and mail it back.
I got one like that once. I was working on the employer's computer. So I asked, "who owns my computer?"

The caller did not seem to know.
03-19-2018, 10:59 PM   #45249
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i thought IKEA made furniture

which drove people insane who try to put it together
Food too. Not bad.
03-19-2018, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #45250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
but just a Finn, not Scandinavian.
When I was at school we were taught that there were four countries in Scandinavia; Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.
This is not correct? I want my school fees refunded!

(Actuallly, I must confess that none of the schools that I went to must have been very good; everyone of them has been bulldozed! (Two of them were not as valuable as the brown coal on which they were sitting, and the third relocated to another site with better buildings)
03-19-2018, 11:17 PM - 1 Like   #45251
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IKEA food? Never heard of such a thing! Does it come with allen (alan? allan? alen?) keys, or do you have to supply your own? Can you use a fork or a spoon instead?
03-20-2018, 12:33 AM   #45252
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now here is a challenge for you all;
(Have we ever had a real challenge in this thread - apart from trying to get 'father-OP' from returning?)

Thinking about two of my (now demolished) schools has aroused/renewed my interest in the prefablicated buildings used almost exclusively at one of them and additional classrooms at the other.
They were referred to as 'prefabs' but officially known as Bristol Huts. If anyone (particularly our UK 'friends' ) can shed light and even find a picture I would be grateful.
There is scant reference to them on the interweb.
One reference I found was a Macquarie Dictionary ref;
"In Latrobe Valley in 50s the word pre-fab denoted a school building officially known as a Bristol Hut - two classrooms and a small office/storeroom entered from a common door, aluminium clad, windows both sides extending to the ceiling and distinguishing tapered sun visors mounted vertically between the windows"
This one is on the money as my schools were all in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria (Yallourn and Newborough)
The other ref I found is for Noah's Ark Nursery School, Birchington in Kent, whose address is The Bristol Hut, Park Lane, Birchington. But Google Earth doesn't reveal anything useful!

Help anyone? The prize for good info, is a rest from my ramblings for a while!!
03-20-2018, 12:43 AM   #45253
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Now here is a challenge for you all;
(Have we ever had a real challenge in this thread - apart from trying to get 'father-OP' from returning?)

Thinking about two of my (now demolished) schools has aroused/renewed my interest in the prefablicated buildings used almost exclusively at one of them and additional classrooms at the other.
They were referred to as 'prefabs' but officially known as Bristol Huts. If anyone (particularly our UK 'friends' ) can shed light and even find a picture I would be grateful.
There is scant reference to them on the interweb.
One reference I found was a Macquarie Dictionary ref;
"In Latrobe Valley in 50s the word pre-fab denoted a school building officially known as a Bristol Hut - two classrooms and a small office/storeroom entered from a common door, aluminium clad, windows both sides extending to the ceiling and distinguishing tapered sun visors mounted vertically between the windows"
This one is on the money as my schools were all in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria (Yallourn and Newborough)
The other ref I found is for Noah's Ark Nursery School, Birchington in Kent, whose address is The Bristol Hut, Park Lane, Birchington. But Google Earth doesn't reveal anything useful!

Help anyone? The prize for good info, is a rest from my ramblings for a while!!
I take it that it isn't one of these

Quonset hut - Wikipedia

Nissen hut - Wikipedia
03-20-2018, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #45254
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It was all for fun, testing her level of consecration while shooting in competition. She did remarkably well wearing the dog collar.
Yep, she's a good gal. Although she handled the snake and dog collar better than the black metal band

I kinda had that idea but I think the tv audience would have liked to see the guy dodge a round or two any way
Nah, the deal was to tackle whatever was thrown at her. Besides, I doubt he'd be able to dodge those bullets

" concentration " vs. " consecration "

she looked nice but not particularly holy

but maybe blondes are considered worthy of worship in Scandinavia

Definitely not holy. But some would say worthy of worship, I'm sure.

Appreciate the spelling correction. Still learning. The guy took his turn wearing the dog collar, as brief as it might have been.
As far as "The Blonde" a dime a dozen... nothing special except for the biathlon.
Come on - you know us better than most. Better than we do ourselves, most probably. And it's not as if there's any lack of blondes in Finland.

Consecration?

Is she Catholic?
Nah, very few Catholics around here, and most of them don't have Norwegian as their mother tongue.

He has blond hair.
And can drive but just a Finn, not Scandinavian.
And he can drive. Because he's a Finn, not Scandinavian

When I was at school we were taught that there were four countries in Scandinavia; Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.
This is not correct? I want my school fees refunded!
That is a matter of definition. Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Iceland are mostly populated by Scandinavians - i.e. people speaking a Scandinavian language. However, only Sweden and Norway and the north-western parts of Finland make up the Scandinavian peninsula. (Part of what is now Sweden used to belong to Denmark, so historically part of Denmark was also part of the peninsula.). In our daily use of "Scandinavia" we might or might not include Finland - it depends. Of course, Swedish is also an official language of Finland. In that sense Finland can be said to be part of Scandinavia.

We often use the term "the Nordic countries" when we want to make sure Finland is included with the Scandies - which we do.

(Actuallly, I must confess that none of the schools that I went to must have been very good; everyone of them has been bulldozed! (Two of them were not as valuable as the brown coal on which they were sitting, and the third relocated to another site with better buildings)
All my schools still stand. That must mean they are good schools. Thank you

IKEA food? Never heard of such a thing! Does it come with allen (alan? allan? alen?) keys, or do you have to supply your own? Can you use a fork or a spoon instead?
They always provide everything you need.

Well, except that last screw.

You're meant to eat the food at their restaurant, though. At least that's the way around here.
03-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #45255
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
. . .

Nah, the deal was to tackle whatever was thrown at her. Besides, I doubt he'd be able to dodge those bullets . . .
the idea would be to make him dance, not shoot directly at him

( shots fired rapidly at feet causing fast movement )

obviously I am kidding, firearms of any type are not toys and should not be used as to put anyone at risk

your knowledge is as good as your source ( and I am not vouching for these but )

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-many-Scandinavians-have-blonde-hair-and-blue-ey...ation-are-they

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120404105849AA2RN2W

http://welcometosweden.blogspot.com/2011/07/blonde-hair-blue-eyes-and-swedish.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-20-2018 at 01:19 AM.