Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 05:36 AM - 4 Likes   #45271
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Good British food isn't (generally!) nearly as tasteless as some "furriners" might contend!
I know. But this thread is not the place to challenge myths and stereotypes. We thrive on them!

OTOH, whoever thought up that totally tasteless apology for a sausage that is called a "hotdog"/frankfurter because it's about as "tasty" as a piece of wet cloth, and WHY is it so popular in the US and elsewhere? (probably because the vast majority of those who eat it are themselves totally "tasteless" )
It goes with the general philosophy these days; choose the way of the least resistance. You can't find much less resistance than a hotdog

03-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #45272
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there seems to be some common ground, see the bolded language

My my - yes, you are getting really defensive now!

true

And then
"1 you eat wet cloth much do ya or is that just the taste of most of the food in that island "
"Pot calling the kettle black"

true again

2 unless you are under legal drinking age, most hot dogs consumed are accompanied by beer - get my point
Not if you are at the cinema or a football (soccer!) match (both "dry" in the UK!), or buying from a street vendor (at your extreme peril )

ah but we are talking about my country the USA where in most cases, even in some movie theatres now, you are free to imbibe if you are of legal age

and there may be " street fairs " which have legal liquor licenses so long as the beverage is consumed in a prescribed area

3 the "taste " is supplied by not by the hot dog and bun, but by the additions: good mustard, onion, relish, pepper etc, etc, etc, and so on and so forth
In that case, why not just ditch the dog and bun, and eat all that other rubbish stuff if you just want the taste

companies make money selling the hot dog and bun, companies on that side of the pond don't make money from selling rubbish - be honest now

4 unless you are a kid, please, please, please do not add ketchup to any hot dog
Generally, cheap ketchup and/or cheap mustard sauce are all you get offered in the UK - and "anything" is better than just a plain dog & bun

ah, here we can, in stores and occasionally elsewhere get good brown and/or spicy mustard, I already talked about the prohibition regarding ketchup

5 ( ) unless I am forced, I eat Italian or polish sausage or brats instead of hot dogs
For once, I have (grudgingly! ) to agree with you - OTOH I might not even eat anything if the only thing on the "menu" was a hot dog!

the worst situation is where they sell polish or brats but not the necessary sauerkraut - the barbarians
03-20-2018, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #45273
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
2 unless you are under legal drinking age, most hot dogs consumed are accompanied by beer - get my point
Ah, I see! The taste has to match that of the beer. Umm, "beer".
03-20-2018, 05:45 AM   #45274
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
IKEA food? Never heard of such a thing! Does it come with allen (alan? allan? alen?) keys, or do you have to supply your own? Can you use a fork or a spoon instead?

An "allen key", what an horrendous thought, a key needed to effect its exit.

I remember the exit signs in the Tesco carpark in Wales.

03-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #45275
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
An "allen key", what an horrendous thought, a key needed to effect its exit.

I remember the exit signs in the Tesco carpark in Wales.
I never get any $ when some one mentions, buys or uses my key

I remember when you bought vodka because it had no flavor

now it is available flavored

is there a bacon flavor?
03-20-2018, 05:51 AM   #45276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Now here is a challenge for you all;
(Have we ever had a real challenge in this thread - apart from trying to get 'father-OP' from returning?)

Thinking about two of my (now demolished) schools has aroused/renewed my interest in the prefablicated buildings used almost exclusively at one of them and additional classrooms at the other.
They were referred to as 'prefabs' but officially known as Bristol Huts. If anyone (particularly our UK 'friends' ) can shed light and even find a picture I would be grateful.
There is scant reference to them on the interweb.
One reference I found was a Macquarie Dictionary ref;
"In Latrobe Valley in 50s the word pre-fab denoted a school building officially known as a Bristol Hut - two classrooms and a small office/storeroom entered from a common door, aluminium clad, windows both sides extending to the ceiling and distinguishing tapered sun visors mounted vertically between the windows"
This one is on the money as my schools were all in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria (Yallourn and Newborough)
The other ref I found is for Noah's Ark Nursery School, Birchington in Kent, whose address is The Bristol Hut, Park Lane, Birchington. But Google Earth doesn't reveal anything useful!

Help anyone? The prize for good info, is a rest from my ramblings for a while!!

Noah's Ark Nursery School is associated with Birchington CE Primary School, just off Park Lane, Birchington - not the same Park Lane as on the Monopoly board. The GoogleMap satellite view does look like a prefab with a lean-to verandah added.
03-20-2018, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #45277
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is there a bacon flavor?
DIY

03-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #45278
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
DIY
aren't you proud of me

getting a transition to bacon that is close to being relevant to the ongoing topic

food to hot dogs to beer to vodka to bacon

I think I deserve a pat on the back

and not in a fashion intended to knock me flat on my face
03-20-2018, 06:00 AM   #45279
Pentaxian

Good British food isn't (generally!) nearly as tasteless as some "furriners" might contend!

OTOH, whoever thought up that totally tasteless apology for a sausage that is called a "hotdog"/frankfurter because it's about as "tasty" as a piece of wet cloth, and WHY is it so popular in the US and elsewhere? (probably because the vast majority of those who eat it are themselves totally "tasteless" )

And it is served with the equally tasteless drinkable, if you can get over the nausea induction, yellow goo the Americans call mustard. There is a really good product you can buy in Australia, called 'hot English mustard', which tastes like wasabi (the green paste, not the batteries), but we cannot find it in England. What is called 'hot English mustard' in England is insipid. Can one of the long time English people here tell me which brand I can get which tastes properly hot, and where to get it.
03-20-2018, 06:01 AM   #45280
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

And it is served with the equally tasteless drinkable, if you can get over the nausea induction, yellow goo the Americans call mustard. There is a really good product you can buy in Australia, called 'hot English mustard', which tastes like wasabi (the green paste, not the batteries), but we cannot find it in England. What is called 'hot English mustard' in England is insipid. Can one of the long time English people here tell me which brand I can get which tastes properly hot, and where to get it.
I blame the French

this stuff is force fed to kids here in the US

FRENCH?S® Classic Yellow Mustard. The perfect all natural way to add natural zing to tried-and-true family favorites.

and too many adults never grow up

(here and elsewhere )

drinkable ???

what, you chug the stuff

ick
03-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #45281
Pentaxian

I blame the French

this stuff is force fed to kids here in the US

FRENCH?S® Classic Yellow Mustard. The perfect all natural way to add natural zing to tried-and-true family favorites.

and too many adults never grow up

(here and elsewhere )

drinkable ???

what, you chug the stuff

ick

The drinkableness comes from being so tastelessly mild that it does not cause reactions to the hot nerves.

In fact, it is so horrible that it should have been banned, without replacement name, back in the days when 'French fries' were turned into 'freedom fries'. Just get rid of the feeble, flour fillered, imitations of mustard, and only allow the real and good stuff.

Or maybe it would work on the free-enterprise method - no-one buy the horrible one, and only buy the good one, and then the makers of the bad one will make better or go out of business. And the workers can go to the other factory in the morning for their job.
03-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #45282
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . In fact, it is so horrible that it should have been banned, without replacement name, . . . Just get rid of the feeble, flour fillered, imitations of mustard, and only allow the real and good stuff.

Or maybe it would work on the free-enterprise method - no-one buy the horrible one, and only buy the good one, and then the makers of the bad one will make better or go out of business. And the workers can go to the other factory in the morning for their job.
I agree but I believe that it is supplied to local schools on the basis of the lowest bid for supplies

if so, it will go on forever
03-20-2018, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #45283
Veteran Member

the next thing you will tell me is that hiding behind drywall or thin piece of wood won't protect you either
Heck, even a sub-sonic .22 bullet will punch through plywood.
03-20-2018, 07:27 AM - 1 Like   #45284
Veteran Member

fantasy vs reality
First few lines here...

03-20-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #45285
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

then the makers of the bad one will make better or go out of business.

But seriously, no. People will buy what they're used to. Or what's cheap. Quality is less important.

"Billions and billions served"