Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2018, 04:51 PM   #45301
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Processed meats in South Africa was responsible for the recent deaths of 180 people.
Listeria outbreak 2018: South Africa's iconic processed meats are the source of the deadly disease ? Quartz

By the way, "polony" is South African speak for "luncheon meat", with other words, "meat" that does not contain hardly any meat at all.

03-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #45302
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
there is a sure fire way to improve the taste of a hot dog

can you guess

Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs Recipe - BettyCrocker.com!

Fried Bacon Wrapped Hot Dog Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Fully Loaded Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs Recipe | Food Network

what regular on this thread would have thought about that

That would be great.

Just leave out the hot dog.
03-20-2018, 06:17 PM   #45303
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Four pages whining about mustard, and not one mention of the only mustard that graces my table.

03-20-2018, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #45304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Four pages whining about mustard, and not one mention of the only mustard that graces my table.

03-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #45305
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There is a really good product you can buy in Australia, called 'hot English mustard', which tastes like wasabi (the green paste, not the batteries), but we cannot find it in England.

I'll have some of this sometimes rather than the Grey Poupon.

We have this too. Goes good on steak.

I really like this. Makes great ham and swiss on light rye sammiches.

03-20-2018, 06:58 PM - 2 Likes   #45306
Veteran Member

I'll have some of this sometimes rather than the Grey Poupon.
We have this too. Goes good on steak.
I really like this. Makes great ham and swiss on light rye sammiches.
Nice shots of Beaver, Racer!
I won't rephrase that.
03-20-2018, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #45307
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I've deleted a few posts.
We will not be discussing politically charged issues here.

03-20-2018, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #45308
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The term 'bags of mystery' goes back to 1864 ...

Bags of mystery - Oxford Reference
03-20-2018, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #45309
Pentaxian

I agree but I believe that it is supplied to local schools on the basis of the lowest bid for supplies

if so, it will go on forever

They have school lunches here, too.

As an Australian the idea shocks me, because we would either take our own lunch, and have our, or our parents menu choice, or buy from the school tuck shop, with their short list of items.

But how amazing parents are so lazy they would prefer their kids to be fed product supplied by and prepared by the lowest bidder.
03-20-2018, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #45310
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Processed meats in South Africa was responsible for the recent deaths of 180 people.
Listeria outbreak 2018: South Africa's iconic processed meats are the source of the deadly disease ? Quartz

By the way, "polony" is South African speak for "luncheon meat", with other words, "meat" that does not contain hardly any meat at all.

Sounds like baloney.
03-21-2018, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #45311
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
They have school lunches here, too.

As an Australian the idea shocks me, because we would either take our own lunch, and have our, or our parents menu choice, or buy from the school tuck shop, with their short list of items.

But how amazing parents are so lazy they would prefer their kids to be fed product supplied by and prepared by the lowest bidder.
laziness is not the primary issue, nutrition and its effect on the ability on being able to learn is

in the US not only does the school system supply lunches, a breakfast program is available as well and there is a program providing food during the summer when the schools are not in session:

at times, those meals may be the only balanced meals the kid gets

" School meal programs in the United States provide school meals free of charge, or at a government-subsidized price, to U.S. students from low-income families. These free or subsidized meals have the potential to increase household food security, which can improve children's health and expand their educational opportunities.[1]

The biggest school meal program in the United States is the National School Lunch Program (NSLP), which was signed into law by President Harry S. Truman in 1946.[2] Its purpose is to prevent malnutrition and provide a foundation for good nutritional health. The text of the National School Lunch Act, which established the program, called it a "measure of national security, to safeguard the health and well-being of the nation's children and to encourage domestic consumption of nutritious agricultural commodities".[3]

The NSLP currently operates in more than 100,000 public schools, nonprofit private schools, and residential care institutions. It provides more than 5 billion low-cost or free lunches per year to eligible students, with the goal of ensuring nutritious meals for children who might not otherwise have access to a proper diet. In 2012, it served more than 31 million children per day. . . .

School Breakfast Program[edit]

The SBP began as a pilot program in 1966 and became permanent in 1975.[15] It was developed specifically to help impoverished children; the "original legislation stipulated that first consideration for program implementation was to be given to schools located in poor areas or in areas where children had to travel a great distance to school",[17] and in 1971, "Congress directed that priority consideration for the program would include schools in which there was a special need to improve the nutrition and dietary practices of children of working mothers and children from low-income families

School meal programs in the United States - Wikipedia

The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) ensures that low-income children continue to receive nutritious meals when school is not in session. This summer, USDA plans to serve more than 200 million free meals to children 18 years and under at approved SFSP sites.

Summer Food Service Program | Food and Nutrition Service
03-21-2018, 12:16 AM   #45312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

my graduating high school class was small 84 but set several records for the high school

athletic as well as academic:<snip>
That does not sound like the American high schools we hear about in the rest of the world. Most seem to be much bigger than that. I think that you were probably very lucky. With a small class size, did you have a wide enough range of subjects and skills in the teaching staff to enable every student to fulfill their potential.

I was mostly educated in England, but I also went to school in Pakistan and in Germany. The boarding school I went to in England at age 9 was my 5th school. Pakistan was two and Germany was four. School number zero was in England, but my father was transferred between signing up and starting the first term. High school had around 450 pupils over 5 years. It was a selective entry school. We were graded into "sets" so that the slower ones didn't hold back the quicker ones. Most of my class sizes up to O-level were around 12 to 15. There was one subject that was around 20. The final two years, aged 16 and 17, were A-level and we we had three major subjects and some minor subjects. My majors were physics, pure maths and applied maths. We had 5 students In one of the maths classes and 3 in the other. The missing 2 had been advanced by three years. The younger was scary bright, but quite normal. I was extraordinarily lucky.

There's also a difference in rating universities. It seems that, in the USA, 4-year universities are better than 3-year universities. As far as I'm aware, it's the other way round in the UK. I had no idea that 4-year universities even existed in the UK until someone explained "sandwich" courses, where the students spend their 3rd year working in industry. That's probably a very good idea for e.g. engineers.

Do you keep contact with your high school graduating class? You have a fellowship thing going that we didn't. We didn't have the concept of graduating from high school. We'd all taken our exams and that was that. No graduation ceremony Some of us were going to uni, some to the military and some to head into a life of crime Some of us came back for an extra term to do the exams for the Oxford and Cambridge entry scholarships.

I can't remember anything special that my high-school year did. I wish I could. I would have liked growing up with the same people instead of having to make new friends every year or so. I can remember a few people from my college at uni, but I'm not in contact with them. The guy who sat across from me at my first dinner in the college on my first day at the uni is quite famous. Charles Windsor. He's in wiki Charles, Prince of Wales - Wikipedia
03-21-2018, 01:26 AM - 1 Like   #45313
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
That does not sound like the American high schools we hear about in the rest of the world. Most seem to be much bigger than that. I think that you were probably very lucky. With a small class size, did you have a wide enough range of subjects and skills in the teaching staff to enable every student to fulfill their potential. . . .
here goes my answer, it is long but you asked

first, I have heard a little about your classmate - Charlie, didn't I read about some sort of divorce ?? He appear to have been successful in the one real thing that counts, his boys seem to be doing well and have a good reputation it seems. however, who really knows how much a parent can truly affect the success of his offspring

I have no such famous person among my school acquaintances

the State of Illinois is one of the longest states in the Union, it stretches from north of New York City to South of Virginia Beach Virginia but is narrow and is 25th in total area among the 50 states

Illinois - Wikipedia

It is made up of urban areas as well as rural areas and I grew up in what would have been known at one time a rural " market town " surrounded by farms. Le Roy was the site of the public school, shops and grocery store (s) and has existed since 1835. - Le Roy, Illinois - Wikipedia

It is in McLean County (one of the most productive soybean producing areas in the world ), and Le Roy is at an Elevation: 784 ft (239 m) located at 40°20′50″N 88°45′44″W (40.347168, -88.762293).[3] According to the 2010 census, Le Roy has a total area of 2.336 square miles (6.05 km2), of which 2.32 square miles (6.01 km2) (or 99.32%) is land and 0.016 square miles (0.04 km2) (or 0.68%) is water.[4]

it had a population of less than 2,500 people when I lived there from '58ish to 1975. I went to school there until I graduated from high school. It had no private school and the school population included the city and surrounding farms. There was no industry to speak of and the adults were involved in the commercial businesses or farming or commuted to the larger communities about 30 - 60 miles away as my father and stepmother did.

the school system consisted of 2 building, a separate primary school and a Junior high school and high school physically connected to each other but roughly a mile away from the primary school Generally speaking, the population was White Anglo Saxon Protestant, I knew of no other organized religious groups except Catholic and the nearest Catholic Church was located in a smaller community 5 miles away. No minorities lived in Le Roy until a family of a US vet with a Filipino mother moved to town while I was in High School.

the school was not diverse and the academics while meeting minimum state standards was not extensive. Students, at the time I attended were divided ( I think with the consent of the parents ) into two " groups " those who would enter the work force and those who would go onto further academic schooling upon graduation ( generally at 18 years old ). All attended classes for the basic curriculum but alternative classes were offered to the two " groups " for example, as one on the " college " track' I took 3 years of French, advanced " science ( biology and chemistry ), and math through high school calculus and I did not take the other courses designed to prepare me to go to work directly after graduation from High School

I just discovered that my HS Graduation Picture ( 1975 ) is on the web , I am the 5th one from the left on the bottom - LeRoy CUSD | Through the Years

As far as I remember, with the exception of a couple of students who joined us in high school, I went through my entire educational experience until post high school with the same individuals

I was in an exceptional graduating class: about 60 percent of us ( a record then ) went on to a 4 year college/university or 2 year community college - resulting in one veterinarian, one dentist, several Certified Public Accountants as well as several attorneys and one guy who got both legal and medical degrees

the higher education system in the US at the time was divided into Colleges and Universities ( I am not sure of the distinction ) both private and public. You graduated from HS and went to work or on to " higher ed " I went to the University of Illinois at Urbana, Il ( then about 30,000 students including those seeking 4 year degrees and post graduate degrees ) about 30 miles away, the U of I system is made up of Universities located at different cities thorough out the state, at that time 3 I believe. The community college system offering a 2 year degree program was just starting. While there I lived in the communities where the University was located. Colleges and Universities are " ranked " by " reputation " and/or cost and other factors but generally speaking an adequate education can be achieved at almost all of them At the time I went, the vast majority students at a university or college would graduate on time, that is no longer true in many cases ( OTOH, my son did graduate cum laude in Accounting in 4 years from Creighton University in Omaha Nebraska )

both HS and College/Universities offer reunions, generally 5 years apart. I have never attended a reunion of my college class ( 1979 ) nor law school class ( 1982 ) and only the first 2 of my high school class. This is not unusual in the US.

I hope this answers your questions, if not perhaps we should do more via PM

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-21-2018 at 04:41 AM.
03-21-2018, 01:37 AM - 3 Likes   #45314
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Thanks guys farts still pending. Ugh
I hope it's a good one. A memorable fart is something beautiful that should be remembered for generations to come. The longer you can draw it out, the better. If you can play a few tunes in the middle with a few bars from The Trumpet Voluntary, that would be good too

---------- Post added 21-03-18 at 19:47 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Gosh Eddie. Not fun. And I know all about the "waiting to fart" business. Being able to fart after abdominal surgery is a major milestone! (And not understood by anyone other than those who have had abdominal surgery. )
I had high-fives from the nurses after my first fart post surgery. It took more than a week.
In my case, it was waiting to crap (aka have a bowel motion). The relief when it finally happened was memorable. Thank you, Movicol.
03-21-2018, 01:50 AM   #45315
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

is Eddie better?

when he is he should watch " Blazing Saddles " by Mel Brooks

Blazing Saddles (1974) - IMDb

especially this part

blazing saddles camp fire youtube - Bing video
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »