Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108815 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 11:11 PM - 2 Likes   #45346
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
England is playing test cricket (the five day game)in New Zealand at the moment.

English cricket at its best: by dinner on the first day, England all out for 58 in just over 20 overs, and New Zealand 1 for 88.

Not a record for collapsing in test cricket.

Hard to see this one lasting 5 days.

I can have fun talking to my colleagues today!

03-22-2018, 12:05 AM - 1 Like   #45347
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Four pages whining about mustard, and not one mention of the only mustard that graces my table.
We use different mustards for different foods. Hot English for ham, steak and kidney pie and grilled steak (sometimes), German for bratwurst, seedless Dijon with plain yoghurt, lemon juice, sour cream to make a dressing for potato salad, grainy French for grilled steak (sometimes). We're flexible. We try to get the good stuff, but it's not always possible here and on-line sources don't always have what you want. Living in Nelson Bay is great, but we have to make a few compromises. I can't find Lapsang Souchong tea
03-22-2018, 01:11 AM   #45348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
here goes my answer, it is long but you asked
Thanks for all that info. Very different from my experience. I think that you probably got the better deal
03-22-2018, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #45349
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
As of this evening, I'm a Great Grandpa!
Next month I become a Grandpa for the 6th time!
I'm feeling pretty Great right now.
Ah, my congratulations, Bob - that's excellent news. Everyone doing well, I hope

03-22-2018, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #45350
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
As of this evening, I'm a Great Grandpa!
Next month I become a Grandpa for the 6th time!
I'm feeling pretty Great right now.
Congratulations Bob.
(This also means you're bloody old!)
03-22-2018, 01:48 AM   #45351
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
England is playing test cricket (the five day game)in New Zealand at the moment.

English cricket at its best: by dinner on the first day, England all out for 58 in just over 20 overs, and New Zealand 1 for 88.

Not a record for collapsing in test cricket.

Hard to see this one lasting 5 days.

I can have fun talking to my colleagues today!
One would be kinda annoyed if one bought tickets for day four or five!
03-22-2018, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #45352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
There's some very weird stuff if you watch a few more in that area. The blond biathlete with the snake is hot.

03-22-2018, 02:13 AM   #45353
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Barack is here at the moment.

Barack Obama tells National leader Simon Bridges that Sir John Key a 'terrible golf cheat' - NZ Herald
03-22-2018, 02:29 AM   #45354
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Living in Nelson Bay is great, but we have to make a few compromises. I can't find Lapsang Souchong tea
However do you manage?!...

Believe it or not, most people in Europe will have the same problem, for a while at least. From what I've read, all genuine lapsang tea from China has residues from the smoking process that make it non-compliant with current EU standards. The tea producers are working on ways to resolve the problem, but for now, genuine lapsang souchong tea is going to be a rare thing in the EU.

I'm good, though... English breakfast tea all the way, for me
03-22-2018, 02:56 AM   #45355
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
From what I've read, all genuine lapsang tea from China has residues from the smoking process that make it non-compliant with current EU standards.
Smoking is unhealthy.

Causes myriad health problems.
03-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #45356
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Smoking is unhealthy.

Causes myriad health problems.
In the US, I have been seeing warnings about the dangers of smoking tobacco placed into various news media accessible by the web - the Washington Post and NYT for sure, others ???

they are paid for by the corporations which owns the Tobacco Companies and carries the notice that it is in compliance with a Federal Court Order in a law suit

" WACO, Texas - Tobacco companies have started airing and publishing court ordered ads admitting there are public health risks behind their products.

"I think finally the public is going to know the truth," said Dr. Maydee Rosario, physician Providence Hospital, Ascension is the largest nonprofit health system in the U.S. and the largest Catholic health system in the world.

A federal court order from 2006 is in full effect. It mandates tobacco companies run a high-profile advertising campaign for one year. . . .

The companies are being forced to publish corrective statements on five topics:

1. Adverse health effects of smoking.
2. Addictiveness of smoking and nicotine.
3. Lack of significant health benefit from smoking (products that have been marketed as less harmful than regular cigarettes.)
4. Manipulation of cigarette design and composition to ensure optimum nicotine delivery
5. Adverse health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke."

http://www.centexproud.com/news/local/mandatory-tobacco-company-ads/866704132

compared to what it was like when I was young, smoking and its acceptance in public has undergone a massive " sea change "

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-22-2018 at 03:55 AM.
03-22-2018, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #45357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Believe it or not, most people in Europe will have the same problem, for a while at least. From what I've read, all genuine lapsang tea from China has residues from the smoking process that make it non-compliant with current EU standards. The tea producers are working on ways to resolve the problem, but for now, genuine lapsang souchong tea is going to be a rare thing in the EU.
On a school trip to Berlin some classmates and I went to a small place called Tadshikischen Teestube (Tajik Tearoom) - hand carved sandalwood pillars, low tables, big pillows to sit on. One guy had Lapsang Souchong, and the moment he opened the pot the whole place smelled like the smouldering ruin of a wood cabin.

I don't remember what I ordered, but it came in such a shallow but wide cup, with such a tiny handle, that I as incapable of maintaining it in a horizontal position just grabbing it by the handle for more than half a minute or so. I forgot halfway through as I was attentively listening to my neighbour's story, just for someone to draw my attention to the fact that the cup had slipped by about 20° and a little cascade of tea was descending into my crotch area.
03-22-2018, 05:42 AM   #45358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
We use different mustards for different foods. Hot English for ham, steak and kidney pie and grilled steak (sometimes), German for bratwurst, seedless Dijon with plain yoghurt, lemon juice, sour cream to make a dressing for potato salad, grainy French for grilled steak (sometimes). We're flexible. We try to get the good stuff, but it's not always possible here and on-line sources don't always have what you want. Living in Nelson Bay is great, but we have to make a few compromises. I can't find Lapsang Souchong tea

Lapsang Souchong tea. The first one I had, I have not had many, was a Twinings product. Probably accessible through one of the famous brand on-line shops, especially the one that only recently set up business in Australia.

Alternatively, you will need to wait till your trips to the west of the Sydney CBD, just east of Darling Harbour. Or one of their suburban competitor centres.
03-22-2018, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #45359
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
One would be kinda annoyed if one bought tickets for day four or five!

When I was young we would decide the night before whether to go, when we saw the stumps score. And get entry to the terraces, in the blazing sun.
03-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #45360
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
In the US, I have been seeing warnings about the dangers of smoking tobacco placed into various news media accessible by the web - the Washington Post and NYT for sure, others ???

they are paid for by the corporations which owns the Tobacco Companies and carries the notice that it is in compliance with a Federal Court Order in a law suit

" WACO, Texas - Tobacco companies have started airing and publishing court ordered ads admitting there are public health risks behind their products.

"I think finally the public is going to know the truth," said Dr. Maydee Rosario, physician Providence Hospital, Ascension is the largest nonprofit health system in the U.S. and the largest Catholic health system in the world.

A federal court order from 2006 is in full effect. It mandates tobacco companies run a high-profile advertising campaign for one year. . . .

The companies are being forced to publish corrective statements on five topics:

1. Adverse health effects of smoking.
2. Addictiveness of smoking and nicotine.
3. Lack of significant health benefit from smoking (products that have been marketed as less harmful than regular cigarettes.)
4. Manipulation of cigarette design and composition to ensure optimum nicotine delivery
5. Adverse health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke."

Mandatory tobacco company ads | CenTexProud | KWKT and KYLE28

compared to what it was like when I was young, smoking and its acceptance in public has undergone a massive " sea change "

Gone are the days like a picture (sorry for that reference to the banned subject) I saw once of Tour de France cyclists, about 100 years ago, smoking during the race, whilst actually cycling, because it was believed to enhance athletic performance.

BTW: that hospital must bave bad management if, given the prices US hospitals charge, they remain non-profit.