Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2018, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #46111
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Where I plan to work starts off at 20 days leave, 25 days leave after 5 years, and 30 days leave after 28 years.
I can remember my father having 30 days when he'd been working for the same company (UK branch) for around 20 years. 28 years seems a bit mean.

I joined Burroughs (the computer company) in the UK in 1970, my first job after uni. We got 15 days (plus sick leave) and after a few years it would go up to 20 days.

I was sent to "World Headquarters" in Detroit MI in late 1972 for a few weeks and was transferred there in Jan 1973 for as long as it took to get a project up to prototype delivery stage. I had a B1-B2 visa, so I was being paid in the UK. Burroughs also paid for my wife and son to join me and I got a per-diem that covered our expenses in the USA. They weren't mean.

When we wanted to take some leave and explore the USA, I was told that I was only entitled to 10 days, which is what the American-employed people with my length of service and grade got. When I said that I was entitled to 15 days because that was part of my terms of employment, my manager said "bad luck". So I said that I'd be happy to accept the American employment terms of 10 days if I was paid an American salary. He asked me what I was paid in the UK. Ah. My annual salary in the UK was equivalent to $US 4,000. I was supervising people on $US 10,000 and my grade was on around $US 15,000.

I got the three weeks. Yes. I know that I would have done better on the US salary, but they weren't going to pay that. They couldn't, anyway, unless they also paid for me to get a different visa.

It was 20 days + 10 days sick leave when I came to Oz in 1976. It still is, as far as I know.

I became self-employed in 1990 and I took my leave, as much as I wanted and could fit in with client expectations, whenever we wanted. From about 2008, I took a laptop with me just in case I needed to do some work. It came in useful in 2012 and 2014 when I was in London. Logging into a client's server farm from London to Melbourne and doing stuff is cool. I don't mind interrupting my holiday for billable hours.

I'm retired now and every day is a holiday.

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 17:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I was intrigued, and saw this Scotch Egg:
Scotch eggs are wonderful. They are a portable food like Cornish pasties. I haven't have one for years. On ostrich egg version might be a bit big for me. What do ostrich eggs taste like, anyway?

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 18:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote

Yeah... I think the minimum by law here is 4 weeks, although most (all?) have 5. In addition to the public holidays - which are:
New year's day
Maundy Thursday
Good Friday
Easter Monday
Labour day
Constitution day
Ascension day
Whit Monday
Christmas day
Boxing day

Most places have Christmas eve and New year's eve off as well, and where I work we have paid leave thr week between the two.

And yet we're said to be among the more productive workers in the world Yours truly not one of them, of course
That's pretty good. Norway does well for holidays. Mostly Christian holidays. Maundy Thursday is interesting. I have always thought that that was an English holiday (Maundy money, etc.). I hadn't realised that you did the same thing in Norway. Also, Boxing Day. I thought that that was 100% English. Any excuse for a holiday, eh?

We get 10 public holidays here. They vary from state to state.

We have a public holiday for a horse race. Melbourne Cup Day is an official holiday in the state of Victoria. It used to be Melbourne only, but any excuse for a holiday is a good thing. I got a bit annoyed when I got a phone call from Sydney, where they didn't have the holiday, to say that I was needed and my flight was booked. "It's a public holiday." "Not in Sydney. Be here by 8:00. You'll get another day off. We need you." It's nice to be needed, but I never got the other day off. What really annoyed me was that all the Sydney people took off after lunch to watch the race. Very little work was done. My day was wasted.

04-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #46112
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
He can't. The only way he could avoid being crowned King would be if he gave up his faith.
I thought that he'd already done that. He seemed to be quite normal in 1967-68, but he went a bit strange a few years later.

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 19:10 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Gas here is at $3.40 a gallon, after hovering around $2.50 or so since last fall.

And I have to agree that the testing fees are nothing compared to operating costs overall.
That's about $AUS 1.12 per litre. I pay around $1.65 per litre. I have to use 98 octane according to the sticker in the fuel filler area.
04-19-2018, 02:41 AM - 2 Likes   #46113
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote

What do ostrich eggs taste like, anyway?
Chicken.
04-19-2018, 03:00 AM   #46114
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That's pretty good. Norway does well for holidays. Mostly Christian holidays. Maundy Thursday is interesting. I have always thought that that was an English holiday (Maundy money, etc.). I hadn't realised that you did the same thing in Norway. Also, Boxing Day. I thought that that was 100% English. Any excuse for a holiday, eh?
Any excuse is good enough for me

Maundy Thursday is called skjærtorsdag in Norwegian, menaing "Cleansing Thursday", so no connection to the Maundy thing, really. And Boxing day is just "second day of Christmas" - and is a holiday just because... well, just because.

04-19-2018, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #46115
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One ostrich egg version might be a bit big for me. What do ostrich eggs taste like, anyway?
Different to chicken eggs. A much richer, almost fattier taste. Almost overpoweringly eggy!
04-19-2018, 04:41 AM - 5 Likes   #46116
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Spring is here!

Not my images. And it's from the cleaning up after an avalanche. Still, they do have a fair bit of snow left up there closer to Zoe's home town.
04-19-2018, 04:45 AM   #46117
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can remember my father having 30 days when he'd been working for the same company (UK branch) for around 20 years. 28 years seems a bit mean.

I joined Burroughs (the computer company) in the UK in 1970, my first job after uni. We got 15 days (plus sick leave) and after a few years it would go up to 20 days.

I was sent to "World Headquarters" in Detroit MI in late 1972 for a few weeks and was transferred there in Jan 1973 for as long as it took to get a project up to prototype delivery stage. I had a B1-B2 visa, so I was being paid in the UK. Burroughs also paid for my wife and son to join me and I got a per-diem that covered our expenses in the USA. They weren't mean.

When we wanted to take some leave and explore the USA, I was told that I was only entitled to 10 days, which is what the American-employed people with my length of service and grade got. When I said that I was entitled to 15 days because that was part of my terms of employment, my manager said "bad luck". So I said that I'd be happy to accept the American employment terms of 10 days if I was paid an American salary. He asked me what I was paid in the UK. Ah. My annual salary in the UK was equivalent to $US 4,000. I was supervising people on $US 10,000 and my grade was on around $US 15,000.

I got the three weeks. Yes. I know that I would have done better on the US salary, but they weren't going to pay that. They couldn't, anyway, unless they also paid for me to get a different visa.

It was 20 days + 10 days sick leave when I came to Oz in 1976. It still is, as far as I know.

I became self-employed in 1990 and I took my leave, as much as I wanted and could fit in with client expectations, whenever we wanted. From about 2008, I took a laptop with me just in case I needed to do some work. It came in useful in 2012 and 2014 when I was in London. Logging into a client's server farm from London to Melbourne and doing stuff is cool. I don't mind interrupting my holiday for billable hours.

I'm retired now and every day is a holiday.

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 17:48 ----------

Scotch eggs are wonderful. They are a portable food like Cornish pasties. I haven't have one for years. On ostrich egg version might be a bit big for me. What do ostrich eggs taste like, anyway?

---------- Post added 19-04-18 at 18:16 ----------

We get 10 public holidays here. They vary from state to state.

We have a public holiday for a horse race. Melbourne Cup Day is an official holiday in the state of Victoria. It used to be Melbourne only, but any excuse for a holiday is a good thing. I got a bit annoyed when I got a phone call from Sydney, where they didn't have the holiday, to say that I was needed and my flight was booked. "It's a public holiday." "Not in Sydney. Be here by 8:00. You'll get another day off. We need you." It's nice to be needed, but I never got the other day off. What really annoyed me was that all the Sydney people took off after lunch to watch the race. Very little work was done. My day was wasted.

When I left Oz I was getting 20 days holiday with 17.5% loading for being on holiday and 12 days sick leave, and long service leave of 1 week per year employed, which had to be taken in week units. I had about 6 months long service which got paid out but the 9 months sick leave just disappeared. Sick leave there accumulates but is never paid unless you are sick. Before I left I reasoned that the leave would give me about 1.2 years on full pay if something bad happened to me before I would need to decide whether I was returning to work or leaving. Nice insurance policy if you stay at the same place a long time.

04-19-2018, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #46118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
04-19-2018, 06:24 AM - 3 Likes   #46119
Veteran Member

Grandson Bobby finally arrived about an hour ago, 7 lbs. 1 oz. First born for our youngest son and daughter-in-law.
A long hard delivery, but mother and child are doing fine.
Son is texting us pics, but I'll spare you all from newborn photos.

Thanks for the well wishes, and to Mark, he's named Robert mainly after her beloved grandpa, but also our son has Robert for his middle name, and I'm named after a grandpa. No juniors, seniors, or such.
04-19-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #46120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Grandson Bobby finally arrived about an hour ago, 7 lbs. 1 oz. First born for our youngest son and daughter-in-law.

Thanks for the well wishes, and to Mark, he's named Robert mainly after her beloved grandpa, but also our son has Robert for his middle name, and I'm named after a grandpa. No juniors, seniors, or such.
Congrats!!!
04-19-2018, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #46121
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

great news
04-19-2018, 02:15 PM - 2 Likes   #46122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations!!!

Grandchildren are the best invention ever. God's reward for not killing your kids for all the stuff they put you through while growing up. Glad everyone is doing fine.
04-19-2018, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #46123
Veteran Member

Thanks everyone!
Here's proud grandma Mrs Bob with her first biological grandchild.
He's a dandy!

04-19-2018, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #46124
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks everyone!
Here's proud grandma Mrs Bob with her first biological grandchild.
He's a dandy!

Fantastic, Bob - congrats all concerned.

I was so excited at becoming a (step) granddad last year but you've been lucky enough six times!
04-19-2018, 04:48 PM   #46125
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Different to chicken eggs. A much richer, almost fattier taste. Almost overpoweringly eggy!

An ostrich egg has to be nearly a liter in volume, eh?

That's a lot of protein.

And cholesterol.