Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2018, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #46216
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
It's never too cold. But not much fun cycling in the rain. We live in a rural area so when I cycle in the rain the back wheel kicks up all the road muck. And the back wheel of the bike in front kicks up all the road muck - right into my mouth.
"it`s never too cold"... Way too cold if these are necessary.
Tyres | Suomi Tyres

04-26-2018, 05:45 PM   #46217
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
"it`s never too cold"... Way too cold if these are necessary.
Tyres | Suomi Tyres
Truth be told, it does not get that cold here by us!
04-26-2018, 05:54 PM   #46218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got spoiled after moving here. Used to put snow-chains on my bicycle when growing up in Finland.
edit: not exactly easy pedaling...
04-26-2018, 05:54 PM - 2 Likes   #46219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Was Annie's birthday yesterday. Opened this - and was pleasantly surprised. I thought it would be well dead by now but it was pretty good.
Happy Birthday to Annie!
20 year old shoe polish?

04-26-2018, 06:01 PM - 4 Likes   #46220
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
So a whole lot of Mamils together at once, would that be a flock? A herd? A clutch? A pod? or perhaps a murder? I like that, a murder of mamils just careened down the street in streaks of reds, oranges, blues, and pinks

A girth of MAMILs?
04-26-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #46221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
MAMIL is officially a word now, it's in the Oxford dictionary:

MAMIL
(also Mamil)
NOUN
British
informal
A middle-aged man who is a very keen road cyclist, typically one who rides an expensive bike and wears the type of clothing associated with professional cyclists.

‘he spends his weekend mornings cycling with other MAMILs’
‘this is as close to a professional peloton as any MAMIL will ever get’
I belong to another group, the FOFILs: Fat Old Farts In Lycra.

Sure, some people get into lycra because for the look, but the main reason for the people who ride often and for longer distances is comfort. The gear is designed for riding long distances. It's great not to feel any after effects after a 100km or 150km ride. I did 222km one day and then 35km the next to loosen up. I had a slightly sore bum.
04-26-2018, 06:54 PM - 3 Likes   #46222
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I belong to another group, the FOFILs: Fat Old Farts In Lycra.

Sure, some people get into lycra because for the look, but the main reason for the people who ride often and for longer distances is comfort. The gear is designed for riding long distances. .
Yeah, I'm feeling more like a FOFIL everyday.

Short commutes okay, but you can't be riding long distances in a soggy cotton top, getting chafing from underwear or doing a gut-busting long climb wearing a pinching belt or jeans. The outfit has to be close fitting so it doesn't catch on chain, seat or bars, stretching effortlessly to go with repeated movement, wick sweat instead of letting it accumulate, and either cool (spandex) or warm (merino wool) according to the conditions. Brightness is a plus for road safety if no other high-vis stuff is to be worn. In short, it has to be engineered.

Even mountain bike pros wear lycra these days - the dudes uniform of baggy shorts and oversized urban T-shirts just isn't practical.

I think it's when MAMILs come off the bike and go wandering into a shopping centre or fancy café with their tights and doing the penguin waddle with their cleats that it can get embarrassing. Even if you do have a rig like Fabian Cancellara I don't reckon you should be flaunting it amongst the general public.

Last edited by clackers; 04-26-2018 at 07:02 PM.
04-26-2018, 07:11 PM   #46223
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

No snow?
04-26-2018, 08:19 PM - 3 Likes   #46224
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
04-26-2018, 09:23 PM   #46225
Pentaxian

Road Hogs.

Here one of them on the road has so much impact on travellers that one would be "road hogs".

The roads are so narrow and there is so much oncoming traffic that you might be caught behind one for a mile or two.
04-26-2018, 09:39 PM   #46226
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I did 222km one day and then 35km the next to loosen up. I had a slightly sore bum.
Understatement of the year!
04-26-2018, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #46227
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, I'm feeling more like a FOFIL everyday.

Short commutes okay, but you can't be riding long distances in a soggy cotton top, getting chafing from underwear or doing a gut-busting long climb wearing a pinching belt or jeans. The outfit has to be close fitting so it doesn't catch on chain, seat or bars, stretching effortlessly to go with repeated movement, wick sweat instead of letting it accumulate, and either cool (spandex) or warm (merino wool) according to the conditions. Brightness is a plus for road safety if no other high-vis stuff is to be worn. In short, it has to be engineered.

Even mountain bike pros wear lycra these days - the dudes uniform of baggy shorts and oversized urban T-shirts just isn't practical.

I think it's when MAMILs come off the bike and go wandering into a shopping centre or fancy café with their tights and doing the penguin waddle with their cleats that it can get embarrassing. Even if you do have a rig like Fabian Cancellara I don't reckon you should be flaunting it amongst the general public.
Half the fun of the ride is the coffee shop afterwards!
04-26-2018, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #46228
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No snow?
Very rarely down at town level - up in the mountains, yes - plenty!
04-26-2018, 09:42 PM   #46229
Pentaxian

Yesterday was not a good day for road towards Bampton.

After my experience on the way to work, pheasant bounced off the front of my car, remember.

On the way home I was going north on Buckland Road towards Bampton and noticed not many oncoming, so thought something might have happened. Then, on the north side of the Tadpole Bridge, about a mile north, just before a sweeping left bend with trees on both sides we had to stop for some on coming. When we got going again we went past a whole lot of cars, some stoped on one side and others on the other side. The rear wheel had come off one and another was off the side of the road with doors open and airbags looking limp and a couple elsewhere on the roadway which one had to thread between, over about 200 yards. And people everywhere, taking photos with cameras (sorry for photo talk). And then we could get going again.

Second time this week I have seen a vehicle with wheels fallen off. The other was a truck carrying horses that had the wheels fall off on the A40 just as it was pulling into the traffic lights at the west side of Eynesham. Inconvenient location, the road has one lane going that way and a median strip with fence for a long way. Yet another case of a truck driver waiting till the truck falls apart on the road instead of doing normal maintenance in the convenience of the workshop, or at least a convenient lay-by.
04-26-2018, 09:43 PM - 3 Likes   #46230
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Happy Birthday to Annie!
20 year old shoe polish?
I've opened older.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 635  Photo 
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »