Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108808 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2018, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #46456
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Of course, most New Zealanders are quite happy that many maps seem to exclude us. Makes us harder to find when the proverbial hits the fan.

Given the number of sheep, there must be quite a bit of that stuff.

05-04-2018, 04:50 AM   #46457
Pentaxian

I guess you guys have all heard the jokes about road workers seeming to be a bit slow in their work.

Here are pictures of a bit of road I can now, again, commute on. I was closed (completely 24/7) from 8/January to Easter, for road works. They dug a trench about 200 yards long to put services in for a new housing area, created the turn lane into the new area, tot he top right, and resurfaced the road, and put on some paint. And notice the quality of the pot-hole they built, and got approved by the local council, down near the front. During the three month closure, the people in the closer housing estates all have 2.5 miles added to their trip into town to get past the point where I was standing by the alternate route.

In Australia the work would have been about 1-2 weeks, and had traffic on one side of the road, at least, all the time, and they would not have built a pot-hole. And the Australians would have complained about slow work. Here the people seem to just docilely accept it as how life is.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
05-04-2018, 05:24 AM   #46458
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in the US they are concentrating on convincing the driving public of the dangers of construction zones

Work Zone Safety - FHWA Facts and Statistics - FHWA Work Zone

Worker Safety - FHWA Work Zone

usually speed drops from the max ( 70 - 75 mph ) down to as low as 40 mph

fines double

mandatory punishments imposed if a driver injures or kills a worker

not to mention what would happen to the driver, passenger ( s ) and the vehicle being driven if it collides with a piece of construction machinery

many times roads are closed with detours, or only one lane of a multilane road is open, with or without using the shoulder of the road way, or traffic is diverted to the other oncoming traffic side and you end up with driving with opposing traffic in the next lane

very dangerous occupation, working road construction while a road is open to traffic and moving traffic at high speed wiz by inches away from the worker and/or machinery
05-04-2018, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #46459
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
And notice the quality of the pot-hole they built
Indeed commendable work. You don't find craftmanship of such exquisite quality too often. Our road workers usually have to make use of winter's freeze-thaw cycles to get decent potholes.

05-04-2018, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #46460
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I drive an AWD for good reason here in Ontario. That way, if it falls into a pothole, I can drive back up and out.
05-04-2018, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #46461
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
I guess you guys have all heard the jokes about road workers seeming to be a bit slow in their work.

Here are pictures of a bit of road I can now, again, commute on. I was closed (completely 24/7) from 8/January to Easter, for road works. They dug a trench about 200 yards long to put services in for a new housing area, created the turn lane into the new area, tot he top right, and resurfaced the road, and put on some paint. And notice the quality of the pot-hole they built, and got approved by the local council, down near the front. During the three month closure, the people in the closer housing estates all have 2.5 miles added to their trip into town to get past the point where I was standing by the alternate route.

In Australia the work would have been about 1-2 weeks, and had traffic on one side of the road, at least, all the time, and they would not have built a pot-hole. And the Australians would have complained about slow work. Here the people seem to just docilely accept it as how life is.
I think they messed up, the road marking appear to be on the wrong side...
05-04-2018, 06:58 AM   #46462
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

nothing in the photos show what I call a pot hole

far too shallow, not nearly deep or big enough

geico pothole commercial - Bing video

05-04-2018, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #46463
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
To date you have 210 posts in this discussion Eddie.

You have a way to go before you reach the Hall of Fame.
yeah given my sporadic participation now i will be relegated to the basement permanently. this thread though is now my primary reason for popping in since i no longer am subject to whims of the live hocir
05-04-2018, 07:10 AM   #46464
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
very dangerous occupation, working road construction while a road is open to traffic and moving traffic at high speed wiz by inches away from the worker and/or machinery
As a land surveyor I had several close calls.
Years ago I was on the shoulder of a highway, back to the traffic, when a passing truck lost a 2x4.
The board hit my right hip sideways and rolled around me. It left a very large nasty bruise.
If it had been higher, and end first, I most likely wouldn't be here posting.
05-04-2018, 07:27 AM - 4 Likes   #46465
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Things get pretty crazy on the highways up here in the Great White North.....TransCanada highway...rush hour
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
05-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #46466
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
in the US they are concentrating on convincing the driving public of the dangers of construction zones

Work Zone Safety - FHWA Facts and Statistics - FHWA Work Zone

Worker Safety - FHWA Work Zone

usually speed drops from the max ( 70 - 75 mph ) down to as low as 40 mph

fines double

mandatory punishments imposed if a driver injures or kills a worker

not to mention what would happen to the driver, passenger ( s ) and the vehicle being driven if it collides with a piece of construction machinery

many times roads are closed with detours, or only one lane of a multilane road is open, with or without using the shoulder of the road way, or traffic is diverted to the other oncoming traffic side and you end up with driving with opposing traffic in the next lane

Where I was in Australia the speed limit in active work zones was 25km/h, and overnight it might rise to 40km/h. And the fines were no longer traffic law fines ~$200 for the first 10km/h over, but Health and Safety fines, of up to $25,000 when it was changed in 1988. That is court case stuff.
05-04-2018, 08:13 AM - 2 Likes   #46467
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And back to bacon

Best Bacon Cannoli Recipe - How to Make Bacon Cannolis
05-04-2018, 08:30 AM - 2 Likes   #46468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Things get pretty crazy on the highways up here in the Great White North.....TransCanada highway...rush hour
where is the snow, if you are going to perpetuate a stereotype we have to make sure those American tourists keep showing up with their skis strapped to the roof in August (when I was a bellman/ doorman decades back it happened at least 3-4 times every summer )
05-04-2018, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #46469
Veteran Member

the real deal - St Lawrence market (not my shot, I'm too busy eating them with dijon and mayo)
Attached Images

05-04-2018, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #46470
Veteran Member

And back to bacon

Best Bacon Cannoli Recipe - How to Make Bacon Cannolis
Good thing you didn't link their zucchini bacon recipe, that would have been a bannable offense (offence to some of youse guys)

Yes, I know I just did, but only for a "what not to do" example to potential new posters.