Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
05-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #46801
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Idiots one and all.

While at the wheel of a 2 ton vehicle every driver has an undeniable obligation to be 100% focused on driving.

It should be a capital offense to drive while distracted.
I'm not sure about capital offence, but some method needs to be found to prevent some people ever driving again. We had a case just a few months ago where a whole family, mother, father and two daughters, were killed by a serial traffic offender. It got a lot of media attention because one of the daughters (Jessica Falkholt) was an actress in a TV series and she survived in intensive care for a few days. The crash was on 26/12/17 and Jessica died on 11/01/2018 after her life support was turned off. Bad crashes that kill good people happen. Most people would feel sad about the deaths. Those of us who pay attention when we drive realise that "it could have been me". I've driven that road many times. I feel extra sad when it's young people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. All the wasted potential, etc.

What really *%$$#$ me off is when I discover that the "other person" had form.

The driver of the 4WD that slammed into the family’s car was also killed in the accident. ***** *******, 50, was a habitual traffic offender and was reportedly travelling home from a Nowra methadone clinic when the accident occurred. ******* had more than 60 convictions to his name and had been caught some 10 times driving while disqualified. A former NSW Police officer who served in the Nowra region between 1996 and 2004 last week said he wasn’t surprised when he learnt the serial offender was behind the wheel of the vehicle that slammed into the Falkholt’s car. “He was a repeat offender. He didn’t care about law. How he got his licence back I will never know. It astounded me that he was out on the road,” the former officer, known only as Andrew told 2GB. He went on to say ******* was a “menace to society” and “should have been in jail”.

The state government said there will be a thorough investigation into what caused the accident. Officers from the NSW Police crash investigation unit are continuing their investigations into the incident. NSW drivers are also expected to be subject to more roadside drug tests by 2020 with increased penalties for drug drivers.

They didn't mention the alleged multiple aliases and the jail terms for driving while disqualified.

05-24-2018, 12:33 AM - 1 Like   #46802
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
He was a repeat offender. He didn’t care about law. How he got his licence back I will never know. It astounded me that he was out on the road.
Very sad story. Somewhere, there's a judge who gave this guy his licence back. He should be in jail.
05-24-2018, 12:34 AM   #46803
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not sure. They do look a bit strange - could just be the reflection though. At least they're mounted in the correct location. I would have thought the headlights would have been original - this being a very special motorcar. One of only 18 built.
I think that they've put modern, small-diameter lights inside the original old-style big headlights.

---------- Post added 24-05-18 at 17:38 ----------

Nasty crash!

So, other than the badges, there's not much Saab there?
It's the thought that counts

Dean told me that the engine cost him $60K second hand.
05-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #46804
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that they've put modern, small-diameter lights inside the original old-style big headlights.
You're right. It certainly seems that way.

05-24-2018, 12:59 AM   #46805
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dean told me that the engine cost him $60K second hand.
Yikes! Should have used Ford!
05-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #46806
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Yikes! Should have used Ford!
Any racing engine will set you back a large chunk of change. The engines I build for my race Z are no exception, but I manage to save quite a bit by doing all my own blueprinting, as much of the machine work as I have capability for, and all my own assembly.

Still, I’ll spend ten grand or so putting one together.
05-24-2018, 02:32 AM   #46807
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I'm not sure about capital offence, but some method needs to be found to prevent some people ever driving again. We had a case just a few months ago where a whole family, mother, father and two daughters, were killed by a serial traffic offender. It got a lot of media attention because one of the daughters (Jessica Falkholt) was an actress in a TV series and she survived in intensive care for a few days. The crash was on 26/12/17 and Jessica died on 11/01/2018 after her life support was turned off. Bad crashes that kill good people happen. Most people would feel sad about the deaths. Those of us who pay attention when we drive realise that "it could have been me". I've driven that road many times. I feel extra sad when it's young people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. All the wasted potential, etc.

What really *%$$#$ me off is when I discover that the "other person" had form.

The driver of the 4WD that slammed into the family’s car was also killed in the accident. ***** *******, 50, was a habitual traffic offender and was reportedly travelling home from a Nowra methadone clinic when the accident occurred. ******* had more than 60 convictions to his name and had been caught some 10 times driving while disqualified. A former NSW Police officer who served in the Nowra region between 1996 and 2004 last week said he wasn’t surprised when he learnt the serial offender was behind the wheel of the vehicle that slammed into the Falkholt’s car. “He was a repeat offender. He didn’t care about law. How he got his licence back I will never know. It astounded me that he was out on the road,” the former officer, known only as Andrew told 2GB. He went on to say ******* was a “menace to society” and “should have been in jail”.

The state government said there will be a thorough investigation into what caused the accident. Officers from the NSW Police crash investigation unit are continuing their investigations into the incident. NSW drivers are also expected to be subject to more roadside drug tests by 2020 with increased penalties for drug drivers.

They didn't mention the alleged multiple aliases and the jail terms for driving while disqualified.
The person responsible for taking the lives of innocent people like that should be removed from the gene pool.

05-24-2018, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #46808
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This morning driving to work, in the 50mph zone there was a long stream of oncoming traffic. As I got to the front of one car a motorcycle pulled out to pass it. Just missed him.

The idiot on the motorcycle was hoping to become an idiot in hospital.

The idiot bit does not change.
05-24-2018, 08:20 AM - 3 Likes   #46809
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
05-24-2018, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #46810
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On the plus side Bob, that man can now go out and buy himself a real barbecue.

05-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #46811
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

gas

charcoal

wood

barbecue

all I have heard of and used

but electric

that is " different "
05-24-2018, 07:08 PM   #46812
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
that is " different "

a "slow cooker"
05-24-2018, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #46813
Veteran Member

Do not view without proper eye protection!

05-25-2018, 05:45 AM   #46814
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

have to post this about a local high school baseball play that made the news

High school pitcher fools runner with a brilliantly coordinated fake pickoff play

I have never seen or heard of this one before
05-25-2018, 06:35 AM   #46815
Veteran Member

Please, don't grill and ride.
Knister Grill - The extendable BBQ you can transport by bike by Carolin Kunert ? Kickstarter