Show Printable Version 108794 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2018, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #46906
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
00 buck shot followed by slug followed by 00 buck shot x 3

my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 holds 5 in the magazine
I can stuff 7 3" magnum 000 in the tube, one in the chamber and 4 in the stock of my 590.
Heavy as anything and my shoulder hates me...
edit: too busy BBQing to go to the range or think about the livE hociR.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 05-29-2018 at 04:51 PM.
05-29-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #46907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Scatterguns are nice, and effective, but hard to conceal. Plus, you need some room to use them, and a bit of distance from the target.

I prefer a Ruger Security Six, 357 Magnum, 6" barrel, in stainless. Fits nicely in a shoulder holster under my left arm.
S&W 15-2. 2# pull with target sights.
05-29-2018, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #46908
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

05-30-2018, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #46909
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
This is yet another illustration of why I love youtube. I followed a couple of links and got Billy Connolly winning the Golden Mouth Organ.

Thanks, bertwert.

---------- Post added 30-05-18 at 18:13 ----------

00 buck shot followed by slug followed by 00 buck shot x 3

my 12 gauge Mossberg 500 holds 5 in the magazine
That would probably discourage the bad guys.

True story. After getting his engineering degree in the mid 1970s, one of my brothers did a year's voluntary service with Voluntary Service Overseas in the Turks and Caicos Islands. It wasn't a perfect Caribbean paradise, but it was better than some of the places he could have been sent. Apart from the VSO guys, all Brits, the only non-local inhabitants were workers from a missile tracking station used by NASA. This was before tourism hit the Turks and Caicos. Naturally, the Americans and the Brits got together over a few beers every now and then. My brother and his VSO housemates had been targeted at night by some local bandits trying to break into their house. My brother asked one of the Americans for some advice about defence, saying that he thought that he could get a .38 pistol. The American (he was from Texas) commented along the lines of "what do you want to do with a .38? Aggravate the B*&^%$#@." He suggested that what they needed was a "Colt 45" and if they wanted to get all fancy-pants, they should get a .44 magnum. In the end, my brother and his house mates started a rumour that they were armed to the teeth and the aggro dropped off.

05-30-2018, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #46910
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
This is yet another illustration of why I love youtube. I followed a couple of links and got Billy Connolly winning the Golden Mouth Organ.

Thanks, bertwert.

---------- Post added 30-05-18 at 18:13 ----------

That would probably discourage the bad guys.

True story. After getting his engineering degree in the mid 1970s, one of my brothers did a year's voluntary service with Voluntary Service Overseas in the Turks and Caicos Islands. It wasn't a perfect Caribbean paradise, but it was better than some of the places he could have been sent. Apart from the VSO guys, all Brits, the only non-local inhabitants were workers from a missile tracking station used by NASA. This was before tourism hit the Turks and Caicos. Naturally, the Americans and the Brits got together over a few beers every now and then. My brother and his VSO housemates had been targeted at night by some local bandits trying to break into their house. My brother asked one of the Americans for some advice about defence, saying that he thought that he could get a .38 pistol. The American (he was from Texas) commented along the lines of "what do you want to do with a .38? Aggravate the B*&^%$#@." He suggested that what they needed was a "Colt 45" and if they wanted to get all fancy-pants, they should get a .44 magnum. In the end, my brother and his house mates started a rumour that they were armed to the teeth and the aggro dropped off.

That is deterrence. Worked because the bad guys did not know it was a lie.

Funny how people not knowing a rumour is wrong can have real effects. 25 years ago the story got around the Chinese speaking students at the university where I was working that I could speak Chinese. They were very careful what they said to each other in Chinese anywhere near me. They were scared. Funny thing is, I have never been able to speak Chinese, and I can only understand a few words and find reading and writing easier that talking or listening, although even those are very hard and my vocabulary is very small. I think the origin of the rumour was that one day in the lab I answered them in English as if I had understood what they had said.
05-30-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #46911
Pentaxian

Where are all y'all?

Hanging out in the flat earth society thread?
05-30-2018, 11:08 PM - 5 Likes   #46912
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Where are all y'all?

Well, it's already mentioned beer, bacon and Internet nutjobs, so it's where the cool kids are, even if temporarily.

05-30-2018, 11:52 PM   #46913
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's neat. I love tools.
05-31-2018, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #46914
Pentaxian

My dad was a criminal defense attorney, so we had a ton of guns in the house. When the clientele couldn't pay cash, guns were a good currency. There was an entire closet full of them in the house. Plus there were several guns hidden about the house because of the same clientele, go figure.

When we had our auto shop in North Tulsa (read tough area), I carried a Combat Commander with 180 hollow points. It had a kick.

05-31-2018, 03:39 AM - 1 Like   #46915
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
. . . I carried a Combat Commander with 180 hollow points.
180 hollow points ?

that is quite a capacity for one weapon

must have been bulky but the hollowed out section of the round must have helped with the weight problem
05-31-2018, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #46916
Pentaxian

180 hollow points ?

that is quite a capacity for one weapon

must have been bulky but the hollowed out section of the round must have helped with the weight problem

Going for a bit of "knock-down" power there ... over and over and over again.
05-31-2018, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #46917
Pentaxian

Just for the record, when I valet parked cars on weekend nights, I may have "touched" a few bumpers ever so lightly once or twice ... nothing like this.

05-31-2018, 04:59 AM   #46918
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Just for the record, when I valet parked cars on weekend nights, I may have "touched" a few bumpers ever so lightly once or twice ... nothing like this.

I saw the story this morning. The valet parker had to be cut free from the convertible, the one underneath.

I wonder if he could do a repeat job, just for the cameras.
05-31-2018, 05:53 AM - 1 Like   #46919
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where are all y'all?

I was there since nothing was shakin' here.
NASA actors were coming out of the woodwork there, so I'm back here.
05-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #46920
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I saw the story this morning. The valet parker had to be cut free from the convertible, the one underneath.
Our local news just now showed that park job.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »