Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2018, 03:21 AM - 2 Likes   #47461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I have a degree in Wrenchology.

A 4 year state indentured apprenticeship.

Apprenticeship.

The original 4 year degree.

Call me Mr. Good.

Because Mr. Good Wrenches here.
Probably make more money than a typical graduate and without the loans.

Now to add some confusion ... (Tim60 would probably get this )

I got a BA degree in 3 years in England. Actually, I earned the degree in 2 years and the 3rd year was the honours year. If I hadn't qualified to do it in 3 years, I would have had to go to a lesser university or technical college to get a degree in 4 years. 3 or so years after my BA, it was raised to MA. I was eligible to do a PhD immediately after the BA.

The subject was "Mechanical Sciences" because the powers that be in the university way back when didn't consider engineering to be a degree-worthy subject. Not academic. Engineering, they decreed, is done in technical colleges and via apprenticeships. It was changed to "Engineering" a year later. There were no faculties for accounting, etc. Trades. You could, however, get a degree in Estate Management. Another hangover from the old days for the not-very-bright younger sons of the aristocracy. I knew one guy, a first son, who started off in estate management and changed to history. English history was mostly about his family, so that wasn't too hard.

So, how do you get a BA and an MA in engineering? The university celebrated its 800th anniversary a few years ago and there were some ancient hangovers. Chemical engineers had to do a 4 year degree to cover the chemistry and the engineering.

06-09-2018, 03:41 AM   #47462
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
There is a Bacon Lane in the part of Oxford I often walk through, near a new shopping centre opened less than a year ago, and where the snow went into some of the shops facing the central atrium during winter because the builders forgot to put ends on the mall, so the wind blows through making it horribly cold, probably to alienate homeless people through architectural design - a common practice here.

Just around Bacon Lane there are streets with names like Pike, Brewer, Turn Again, Littlegate.
well, the British Royalty liked bacon so much

they granted it knighthood

Sir Bacon
06-09-2018, 04:58 AM   #47463
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Probably make more money than a typical graduate and without the loans.
When I topped out in the journeyman pay scale I did earn a considerable bit more than the guys with PE's at the electric utility where I served that apprenticeship.

And now, in the Big Shed, only about halfway up the pay scale for airplane structures mechanics I make nearly as much as the engineers there.

When I top out my pay will exceed what they earn by a modest margin.
06-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #47464
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

When I topped out in the journeyman pay scale I did earn a considerable bit more than the guys with PE's at the electric utility where I served that apprenticeship.

And now, in the Big Shed, only about halfway up the pay scale for airplane structures mechanics I make nearly as much as the engineers there.

When I top out my pay will exceed what they earn by a modest margin.
there is always a " gamble " when pursuing education

is the cost of such an education going to result in getting paid more than one who does not have the same level of education

no doubt everyone needs a " basic " education

and the definition of what constitutes a " basic " education has changed over time

in the US, it is questioned whether our students are being taught " to pass the test "

as opposed to being " educated "

in some countries, so I have learned ( perhaps incorrectly ) the cost of " higher " education is not the only barrier to those who seek it, mandatory testing determines who can proceed or not

and not us forget, being taught " in school " is not the only method of " education "

nor can one's talent, intelligence or skill be determined necessarily by only reviewing that person's years in " formal " education

06-09-2018, 05:26 AM   #47465
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My Masters degrees opened door to the work I wanted. No other justification needed.
if you get really really lucky

you love the job you do

not many people have that opportunity

I did
06-09-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #47466
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
there is always a " gamble " when pursuing education

is the cost of such an education going to result in getting paid more than one who does not have the same level of education

no doubt everyone needs a " basic " education

and the definition of what constitutes a " basic " education has changed over time

in the US, it is questioned whether our students are being taught " to pass the test "

as opposed to being " educated "

in some countries, so I have learned ( perhaps incorrectly ) the cost of " higher " education is not the only barrier to those who seek it, mandatory testing determines who can proceed or not

and not us forget, being taught " in school " is not the only method of " education "

nor can one's talent, intelligence or skill be determined necessarily by only reviewing that person's years in " formal " education
When attending college in the early to mid 1970's my tuition was covered by government programs for poor people, as my family was in a fairly low income bracket. Of course I dropped out to go to work, rather than finish with a degree.

My apprenticeship cost me nothing more than my time, and agreement to a given number of years of indebted servitude to the employer that sponsored the education and training.

Both endeavours have paid immense dividends to me over the years.
06-09-2018, 05:40 AM - 4 Likes   #47467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Fuel injection increased efficiency by around 30%
But oh that quadrajet sound when it was sucking in air.

06-09-2018, 06:23 AM - 2 Likes   #47468
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Racer, I think that if you and I were "financially independent", we could have a lot of fun at this place. Restoring the Jeep wrecker would be the icing on the cake.

Farm find! Huge hoard of Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks heading to auction | Fox News
06-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #47469
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Racer, I think that if you and I were "financially independent", we could have a lot of fun at this place. Restoring the Jeep wrecker would be the icing on the cake.

Farm find! Huge hoard of Dodge and Plymouth cars and trucks heading to auction | Fox News
I bid $50.
06-09-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #47470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

Quadrajet Carb in action 400 Ram Air 2 - YouTube
Thanks, that was fun to see ... a few memories.

I always had a preference for my Holley double pumper.
06-09-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #47471
Pentaxian

I get dibs on the Super Bee.
06-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #47472
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote

Quadrajet Carb in action 400 Ram Air 2 - YouTube
Just look at all that fuel.

Looks a lot like what one sees when flushing a toilet.
06-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #47473
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope they all find good homes and are resurrected to their former glory.
06-09-2018, 07:48 AM   #47474
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I bid $50.
Fifty bucks wouldn't buy a hubcap from one.
06-09-2018, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #47475
Veteran Member

Just look at all that fuel.

Looks a lot like what one sees when flushing a toilet.
Fuel was cheap, and girls were easy if that carb was sitting under the hood of a cool ride.