Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108811 Likes Search this Thread
06-14-2018, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #47776
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I'm not a botanist.

But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
That went over my head, but HIE is our preferred home away from home.
I also like older mom and pop motels with knotty pine walls, etc, as long as they're clean and not run down.
Mrs Bob has a different opinion.

06-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #47777
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
All good for pancakes, I guess, even though I prefer honey.

Pancake
Bacon
Pancake
Bacon
Pancake
Bacon
Pancake
Then a generous amount of honey.

The perfect camping breakfast. Keeps you going for a good many hours.
I think I would like peanut butter on each pancake too.

It would bring out the flavor of the bacon.

Très magnifique!
06-14-2018, 05:40 PM - 2 Likes   #47778
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I also like older mom and pop motels with knotty pine walls, etc, as long as they're clean and not run down.
Mrs. Racer and I also prefer the independent mom and pop joints. The kind where you park right in front of the door. The kind with separate cabins are even cooler.
06-14-2018, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #47779
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
have you seen the ad for a caddy

with the car driving itself as the person sits behind the wheel

'Super Cruise' self-driving car tech will come to all Cadillac models beginning in 2020 - TechSpot

Super Cruise - Hands Free Driving | Cadillac Ownership

sit back with your arms crossed and pay attention

sure

how about read the paper, get on the phone, get distracted

---------- Post added 06-14-18 at 06:02 ----------

who set the automatic feature to operate

the driver right

so it would be the driver who is responsible legally

unless there is a error due to the manufacture

so the owner's insurance covers
Complex, isn't it? "The whole situation is muddy and confused, and it might be impossible to understand it in the abstract, before legal precedent is set."

Who Is Liable for a Death Caused by a Self-Driving Car? - The Atlantic

06-14-2018, 06:12 PM - 4 Likes   #47780
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Complex, isn't it? "The whole situation is muddy and confused, and it might be impossible to understand it in the abstract, before legal precedent is set."

Who Is Liable for a Death Caused by a Self-Driving Car? - The Atlantic
Darned thing was so embarrassed it tried to roll over and play dead.

06-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #47781
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure how TC (traction control) and TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) warning indicator lights can be triggered by water in the fuel.

Especially the TPMS warning. Do you check and adjust your tire pressures at least once a month with a gauge?

The TC warning will be triggered anytime one of the drive wheels spins or a brake locks up. But water in the fuel shouldn't cause that.
not sure either

perhaps the traction control warning was because the engine was affected by the bad gas???

the tire pressure warning might be because of the age old principle of

" the foot bone is connected to the ankle bone "

any way, they spent hours flushing out the fuel system, was able to clean the affected parts so I wasn't charged for any and I just had to pay labor

still a very large amount
06-14-2018, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #47782
dbs
Pentaxian

I think this one is our dear friend Bert.

The Badpiper Thunderstruck - YouTube
He didn"t look like that in the video,. and sounded better too,I don"t think it was as exhausting as that either. But who knows with our Bert

Dave

06-15-2018, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #47783
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure how TC (traction control) and TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) warning indicator lights can be triggered by water in the fuel.

Especially the TPMS warning. Do you check and adjust your tire pressures at least once a month with a gauge?

The TC warning will be triggered anytime one of the drive wheels spins or a brake locks up. But water in the fuel shouldn't cause that.
I often wonder how many accidents traction control and ABS cause in the winter. They work great on dry pavement and actually saved me from an accident when a guy with pulling a boat decided that flashing red lights at an intersection were only a suggestion for him to stop.

ABS brake systems are worthless on icy roads and traction control tends to stop power from going to the tires when you need it most. I wonder how many accidents have been caused by people relying on those systems? Traction control can usually be turned off but I would love an ABS off switch too.
06-15-2018, 05:13 AM   #47784
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I often wonder how many accidents traction control and ABS cause in the winter. They work great on dry pavement and actually saved me from an accident when a guy with pulling a boat decided that flashing red lights at an intersection were only a suggestion for him to stop.

ABS brake systems are worthless on icy roads and traction control tends to stop power from going to the tires when you need it most. I wonder how many accidents have been caused by people relying on those systems? Traction control can usually be turned off but I would love an ABS off switch too.
as I understand it,

and admittedly I don't understand cars

the ABS is supposed to mimic mechanically the old idea of rapidly pumping the brakes which was supposed to aid in rapid braking without loss of control

one of the problem is that instead of hitting the brakes and continuing to do it, a lot of people feel the action of the ABS system and get off the brakes as a reflex

that is the wrong thing to do

you are supposed to stay on the brake and rely on the car to " pump " the brakes so you don't lose control.

and I agree, brakes on ice ( similar to all wheel or 4 wheel drive ) may not be useful at all

reduce speed and leave extra room between you and the vehicle ahead when it is snowy or icy out
06-15-2018, 05:34 AM   #47785
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

as I understand it,

and admittedly I don't understand cars

the ABS is supposed to mimic mechanically the old idea of rapidly pumping the brakes which was supposed to aid in rapid braking without loss of control

one of the problem is that instead of hitting the brakes and continuing to do it, a lot of people feel the action of the ABS system and get off the brakes as a reflex

that is the wrong thing to do

you are supposed to stay on the brake and rely on the car to " pump " the brakes so you don't lose control.

and I agree, brakes on ice ( similar to all wheel or 4 wheel drive ) may not be useful at all

reduce speed and leave extra room between you and the vehicle ahead when it is snowy or icy out
That is the theory. But with and automatic transmission there is always power to the wheels and this seems to screw things up. I found that you can improve the performance by shifting to neutral when applying the brakes on icy pavement.

On the Ford Escape that I had as my last company vehicle the traction control system was (insert favorite expletive deleted phrase here) . I was sitting in wet heavy snow one day and it would not allow any power to go to the wheels at all. I had to dig down through the menu system to find the option to turn it off. Sadly it reset to on each time you restarted the vehicle. My Nissan Frontier has a switch to do this. Sometimes having a vehicle that has not been "updated" in the last 14 years is a good thing.

I wonder if they rebuilt that wall at that hotel in Gardiner yet? And properly this time. That situation could have gone south real quick if that propane tank had sprung a leak. If I recall, that was 500 gallon tank. We dodged a bullet there.
06-15-2018, 05:41 AM   #47786
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
. . . I wonder if they rebuilt that wall at that hotel in Gardiner yet? And properly this time. That situation could have gone south real quick if that propane tank had sprung a leak. If I recall, that was 500 gallon tank. We dodged a bullet there. . . .
that is for sure

the rest of the story folks:

we had met at a motel in Gardner MT to visit Yellowstone NP Gaweidert from NY and me from Kansas

one night, right after we had returned to the motel we heard a very loud crash behind us

we went over and found 4 tourists, I think they were from China, their vehicle had barely nudged a cinderblock wall built to prevent a vehicle from falling off of the parking lot

the top 5 or 6 levels fell and had hit 5 or 6 bicycles about 10 feet below and a propane tank

the wall had no rebar reinforcement or any other type of reinforcement and had been built only with " mud " between the bricks - in other words, you probably could have kicked it over with very little effort
06-15-2018, 05:51 AM   #47787
Veteran Member

*snip*

the top 5 or 6 levels fell and had hit 5 or 6 bicycles about 10 feet below and a propane tank

the wall had no rebar reinforcement or any other type of reinforcement and had been built only with " mud " between the bricks - in other words, you probably could have kicked it over with very little effort
Scary...
06-15-2018, 05:54 AM   #47788
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Scary...
yeah

especially when you think we crossed the parking lot which took a second or two

and then saw the damage including the propane tank 10 feet below us

if that had started leaking and there was an ignition

well, we would not be posting today
06-15-2018, 07:13 AM - 2 Likes   #47789
Pentaxian

Well she is one hot tomato!
And her love match-up?

06-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #47790
Veteran Member

The ABS sensors have gone bad on my 2001 Silverado, completing a stop from a slow speed can be an adventure, they want to fade sometimes.
Lightly pumping them works for now, until my mechanic son has a chance to fix the problem.
A short trip or two per week is all it gets driven.