Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
06-26-2018, 04:57 AM   #49381
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
But the TSA are trying to stop people getting up where the controls are.
they are as bad as the Not for Fun League

06-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #49382
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
thanks

you are correct about wiki

otherwise ???

that is why I asked
...otherwise the authoritative book I remember reading this info in should be in some box from the relocation
It's Casseroles et Éprouvettes by Hervé This - the Italian version of course, even though I think I could manage in French as well.
06-26-2018, 05:15 AM   #49383
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what myths about smoking meats do you want to talk about
There are a few, but more explanation needed than I have time for this morning.
Doc appointment shortly.
I'll add that cooking something like hot dogs, burgers, or steaks is not barbecue, it's grilling.
Barbecuing is cooking a lower temps for longer periods of time, usually with wood for smoke.
06-26-2018, 05:28 AM   #49384
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Doc appointment shortly.
I'll add that cooking something like hot dogs, burgers, or steaks is not barbecue, it's grilling.
Barbecuing is cooking a lower temps for longer periods of time, usually with wood for smoke.
good luck on the appointment

no disagreement from this member of the peanut gallery regarding the difference between grilling and bar b que

06-26-2018, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #49385
Veteran Member

Doc appointment shortly.
^ that's something I was saying as well, before watching some documentaries on US barbecue competitions.
Here in Italy it's common to call the the physical implement, the fired-bricks structure, a "barbecue", even though we grill on it.

I guess we can be partly excused because "barbecue" is a loan word to us, but we do say "alla griglia", and by that we mean "grilled", so...
06-26-2018, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #49386
Veteran Member

no disagreement from this member of the peanut gallery regarding the difference between grilling and bar b que
I've never had a problem with someone calling grilling barbecuing, I do it myself.
I do have a problem with someone cooking meat in an oven, or crock pot, slathering on bbq sauce and calling it barbecue.
06-26-2018, 05:51 AM   #49387
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Here in Italy
We have a member from Italy on the Weber forum, he turns out some outstanding cooks on both Weber grills and smokers.

06-26-2018, 06:00 AM - 2 Likes   #49388
Veteran Member

We have a member from Italy on the Weber forum, he turns out some outstanding cooks on both Weber grills and smokers.
We usually like to eat well, and are prepared to go to considerable lengths to do so!
06-26-2018, 07:38 AM   #49389
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'd say you're already rather unlucky if you are in a situation where you have to fend off an angry bull elephant with the pig-sticker

That would suck.
06-26-2018, 07:39 AM   #49390
Veteran Member

True mastery can't be learnt just like that. For non-Norwegians it will take years of dedicated study and meditation. Of course, you have to start out being wealthy, too, as handing over your money to the guru is an important part of reaching Humbleness.
Okay, I humbly retract my statement of wanting to learn.
06-26-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #49391
Veteran Member

Indeed we were.

Probably. But the .303 would make some of those beasts rather angry if you're not very careful with where you place the shot. Even a .458 doesn't guarantee anything. I had a guide who, on an earlier occasion, had encountered an already-angry buffalo - it came at full speed through a bush close by. He didn't have time to lift his rifle before firing. The shot hit the bull in the upper jaws. He hardly slowed down at all. André the guide ended up on his back furiously working the bolt action while being drenched in blood from the buffalo standing over him. The next shot hit where it should at point blank. André was badly bruised but nothing crushed or broken.

His group of tourists were all rather shaken by the incident but they did finish their four-day trek. André needed professional help to work away his fear of buffalos, though.

Yep, I'd really like to do that trek
Sounds like fun times.
Only now are the Canadian Rangers (military branch up north) are having their Lee-Enfields replaced and many a polar bear has been shot with them. I think with such a large animal you need to hit it in the CNS (brain or spinal cord) to stop it dead in it's tracks rather than a heart shot. Also these animals are so large and heavy that one should move to the side really quickly as the momentum of the animal may still result in a very heavy dead pile of meat hitting you.
06-26-2018, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #49392
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Still, if I can get in the air while at the controls, I’m in!
That's my second career choice, military pilot.
06-26-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #49393
Veteran Member

Absolutely.

Thick cut, and never cooked until crispy.

Although, if that is the way one likes it, who am I to say they cannot have it that way?
Good someone else agrees with me, if others like the not so good crispy stuff, they can have the stuff I overcook
06-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #49394
Veteran Member

You look much older than I had imagined Bert.
06-26-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #49395
Veteran Member

It is miles ahead of anything in the Whining and Rumors section.
The Whining and Hearsay section.
I think it should be renamed.