Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2018, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #50791
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Well that's definitely more like it!
We usually skip ranch dressing, chicken and hot sauce, and if someone wants spicy we generally ask the waiter for some chili oil - not the thick variety we usually see around... this is more like "regular" olive oil, but infused with chili peppers.
Oh and fresh basil leaves

Edit: for the lovers of all things meat, we have a kind of pizza usually called maialona or somesuch, which is usually made up of tomato sauce, mozzarella, sausages, wurstel and hot salami - give or take an ingredient.
Sadly, no bacon
The chili oil in a pizza place we used to go to after work in Melbourne was a flask of olive oil infused with chili seeds. No whole chilis. It was hot. This was in the days when our employer provided free drinks after work on Fridays and we were usually not feeling much by the time we got to the restaurant.

My introduction to pizza was somewhere on the Italian coast, not far from Livorno. Castiglioncello, I think. Pizza bianca and quattro stagioni.

07-02-2018, 08:32 PM   #50792
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
It should increase profits and I'm a shareholder
07-02-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #50793
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Woolworths?

That chain has been out of business for years.

Now I'm certain that Australia is fake.
It's an independent Australian company founded in the 1920s. They discovered that the American company hadn't registered their name in Australia and it seemed like a good idea to take it.
07-02-2018, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #50794
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I've been busy spamming a discussion about autonomous vehicles.
Have you crashed and burned yet?

07-02-2018, 08:47 PM - 3 Likes   #50795
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
It's an independent Australian company founded in the 1920s. They discovered that the American company hadn't registered their name in Australia and it seemed like a good idea to take it.
The American Woolworth's sued, but unfortunately it was tried in a kangaroo court.
07-02-2018, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #50796
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I wonder if some forget! But, probably most do not. When I first saw it here, I was pretty confused but once it was explained to me, it makes perfect sense.
Here by us, the rules are - you have to pick up your dog's turds inside the town boundary. Outside the town boundary (rural) you don't have to - because there's sheep droppings, cow turds, horse manure (have you noticed how good I am at avoiding the s-word? ) etc on and beside the roads anyway. Our house is the last town section - so I always walk to the rural side rather than the town side.

Here there are signs up that the penalty for allowing the dog stuff to stay is GBP1000 (not a mistype, it really is one thousand, not one hundred).
07-02-2018, 09:03 PM - 1 Like   #50797
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
But those warm turds in your pocket are hand warmers in the winter.
Haven't we covered this before?

If you know that you have probably been covered by it before.

07-02-2018, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #50798
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

What you're seeing are people who walk a specific route with their dogs, where they walk to the end of a street or park or whatever, and then they turn around and come back using the same route.
From their perspective, it would be daft to carry the turds all the way to the end of their walk and all the way back. What they do, therefore, is pick up their rubbish bag when they come past the second time.
Yes, I know this is the idea, but...

I wonder if some forget! But, probably most do not.
Even if most don't forget - or "forget" - an awful lot do. There are torn bags that have been trodden on, and there are actual piles of bags in those places where 'I'll put it here and pick it up when I return from my forest walk... Oops, I "forgot" and took another route home.'

By all means, most dog owners do what they should. But those forgetful souls should just leave the turd where it lays. Still messy, but at least it disappears relatively quickly.

Well, ok, I see that quite a number do that as well. It is quite evident in spring when all the frozen turds thaw at once
07-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #50799
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope Bert finds a way to keep his hands warm in the far North!
It isn't that far north, about the same latitude as Oslo and Anchorage.

Of course, he doesn't have any warm ocean currents to warm him, so it's definitely a different climate from here.
07-02-2018, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #50800
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Apparently they had a better business plan than the American company did.
What's wrong with "hey, we're not making money - let's sue somebody"?

A slogan for anyone looking to found a law firm:
We Quench Your Thirst for Money with Sueage! (tm)

sorry Bob, forgot you're our Residant Lord of Bad Puns
07-02-2018, 11:43 PM   #50801
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Here there are signs up that the penalty for allowing the dog stuff to stay is GBP1000 (not a mistype, it really is one thousand, not one hundred).
That would at least make people make double sure nobody saw them before leaving the stuff
07-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #50802
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do kilts have pockets?
Yes.
07-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #50803
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
It isn't that far north, about the same latitude as Oslo and Anchorage.

Of course, he doesn't have any warm ocean currents to warm him, so it's definitely a different climate from here.
61.218056 N Anchorage

59.913869 N Oslo

39.047345 N Topeka Kansas

seems quite a bit N to me

[ what is this ocean current thing ?? ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-03-2018 at 03:21 AM.
07-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #50804
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

For those who don't like or know maps, here is some info on old school tech

Latitude

While lines of latitude run across a map east-west, the point of latitude makes the n0rth-south position of a point on earth. Lines of latitude start at 0 degrees at the equator and end a 90 degrees at the North and South Poles. Everything north of the equator is known as the Northern Hemisphere and everything south of the equator is known as the Southern Hemisphere.

Lines of latitude are called parallels and in total there are 180 degrees of latitude. The distance between each degree of latitude is about 69 miles (110 kilometers). The five major parallels of latitudes from north to south are called: Arctic Circle, Tropic of Cancer, Equator, Tropic of Capricorn, and the Antarctic Circle. On a maps where the orientation of the map is either due north or due south, latitude appears as horizontal lines.

Arctic and Antarctic Circles

The Arctic and Antarctic Circles are the parallels of latitude that are roughly 66.5 degrees (66° 33′ 44″ (or 66.5622°). The region above the Arctic Circle, which includes the North Pole, is known as the Arctic. The region south of the Antarctic Circle, which includes the South Pole, is known as the Antarctic.

Longitude
Longitude lines run north-south and mark the position east-west of a point. Lines of longitude are known as meridians. These lines run from pole to pole, crossing the equator at right angles. There are 360 degrees of latitude and the latitude line of 0 degrees is known as the Prime Meridian and it divides the world into the Eastern Hemisphere and the Western Hemisphere (-180 degrees degrees of longitude west and 180 degrees of longitude east).

The distance between longitudes narrows the further away from the equator. The distance between longitudes at the equator is the same as latitude, roughly 69 miles. At 45 degrees north or south, the distance between is about 49 miles (79 km). The distance between longitudes reaches zero at the poles as the lines of meridian converge at that point.

Latitude and Longitude - GeoLounge: All Things Geography
07-03-2018, 04:24 AM   #50805
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
[ what is this ocean current thing ?? ]
The North Atlantic Drift, an extention of the Gulf Stream, brings (relatively) warm ocean water up from the Gulf of Mexico intto the North Atlantic - including the coast of Norway. This gives us a warmer climate than most landmass this far north. The northernmost tip of mainland Norway is about 71°N and yet you will find just a small strip of tundra in the far north-east thanks to the ocean currents.

The year-round serviceable ports facing the North Atlantic was one of the reasons for Germany to invade Norway in 1940. Yeah, invaded because of an ocean current. Those Mexicans, eh