Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108807 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2018, 01:47 AM - 4 Likes   #51166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
never have really followed the Tour de France

but I have seen video and the crowd are not only just off the road, I have seen members of the crowd step onto the road in front of the cyclists

does anyone know if there has ever been collisions between the spectators and the cyclists?
The one with Lance Armstrong (who then won that mountain stage against Ullrich) is pretty famous... he got entangled in a strap or somesuch.

However, this whole business of people in the middle of the road with riders going 20 km/h at most doesn't impress me as much as people playing chicken with Group B rally cars in the '80s...

07-09-2018, 02:12 AM   #51167
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The one with Lance Armstrong (who then won that mountain stage against Ullrich) is pretty famous... he got entangled in a strap or somesuch.

However, this whole business of people in the middle of the road with riders going 20 km/h at most doesn't impress me as much as people playing chicken with Group B rally cars in the '80s...
wasn't aware of those idiots
07-09-2018, 02:21 AM - 2 Likes   #51168
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yeah, I never could understand why spectators seem to want to get run over by speeding racing machines.

I marshaled corners at the Capital Forest Rally here in Washington state one year. It was crazy how stupid some people behaved. They couldn’t understand how dangerous it is to stand in an impact zone.

Morons.
07-09-2018, 02:28 AM   #51169
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

who was the last person to win the Tour multiple years without being shown to have cheated???

if it was someone from not from the present era, do you think it was done without illegal help or just accomplished before the testing caught up with the cheaters?

07-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #51170
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
So do you do bull bumping on the side with your rig?
No was few 4 years ago and the bulls were not many up stop still. Was retired up good. cheers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-09-2018, 04:13 AM - 2 Likes   #51171
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

who was the last person to win the Tour multiple years without being shown to have cheated???

if it was someone from not from the present era, do you think it was done without illegal help or just accomplished before the testing caught up with the cheaters?
Here's a hint.

When Armstrong was stripped of his seven titles, they did not re-award them to the second placegetters.

That would be taking a prize from a drug cheat who was caught and giving it to one who hadn't.

07-09-2018, 04:23 AM   #51172
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Here's a hint.

When Armstrong was stripped of his seven titles, they did not re-award them to the second placegetters.

That would be taking a prize from a drug cheat who was caught and giving it to one who hadn't.
So there is a seven year gap in the list of winners then?

07-09-2018, 04:49 AM - 3 Likes   #51173
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So there is a seven year gap in the list of winners then?
Embarrassing, isn't it?

Doping at the Tour de France - Wikipedia

Those who are currently racing are still turning in performances similar to the drug takers of the past (this was always Lance's argument, everyone was on 'em, only a fool would try to devote a career to remaining honest on a non-level playing field).

That is, they circumvent the test for EPO (originally used to increase the red blood cell count of people receiving chemotherapy) by taking daily one third of the usual dose, which has a 'glow time' of about eight hours.

And it's agreed you can't test an athlete between 10pm and 6am for privacy reasons. Only user error will result in being caught.

Before we think this is just cycling, one estimate was that a third of the athletes at the 2012 Olympic Games were 'on the juice', nearly 100 percent in the endurance sports.

Russia cheated big time at the Sochi Winter Olympics, if you have Netflix the Oscar-winning documentary 'Icarus' shows what happened when their chief tester turned whistleblower. Essentially, there was a massive scheme as far fetched as anything Natasha and Boris got up to in 'Rocky and Bullwinkle'.

Last edited by clackers; 07-09-2018 at 06:12 AM.
07-09-2018, 06:09 AM   #51174
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the cheating is so wide spread

why the interest
07-09-2018, 06:10 AM - 4 Likes   #51175
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is bacon considered to be performance enhancing?
I heard that Mark has tested positive for shoe polish, can't verify it though.
07-09-2018, 06:12 AM - 2 Likes   #51176
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope the 'skeeters didn't carry Charlie off, we need his posts.
07-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #51177
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Is bacon considered to be performance enhancing?
I heard that Mark has tested positive for shoe polish, can't verify it though.
Single malt Scotch whisky - uisge beatha or ‘the water of life’

Bacon is the protein equivalent, it is the protein of life
07-09-2018, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #51178
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Hope the 'skeeters didn't carry Charlie off, we need his posts.
If my maths aren't off we're looking at 44,300 posts at the current rate (after 232 hours out of 744 this month). As I'm not the Resident Nerd, though, they may well be off
07-09-2018, 08:01 AM - 2 Likes   #51179
Pentaxian

Okay ... yeah ... right.

Amelia Earhart Camera | eBay
07-09-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #51180
Veteran Member

wasn't aware of those idiots
There's a documentary on YouTube about group b really cars... I'm sure Race would approve ( )... it was basically a reaching car competition (a manufacturer was required to build a very limited number of production cars, unlike other rally class), and there were basically no restrictions on turbines, so I'm essence you had unlimited power available...
Ford RS200, Lancia Delta integrale, Audi Quattro S1.... some monsters!