50 years behind.

--

Did I pass?
Come on over! I'll have your snowshoes, Cinquante, and tuque waiting for you

07-13-2018, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #51663
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Mrs. Racer and her younger sister are planning a two week trip to Norway, to get in touch with their roots. They said it would probably be better to go in the summer. I pointed out that summer there is about a day and a half long, and they wanted to when that is.

They have been looking at a cruise ship package where they would fly into Norway, hop on a ship, and it travels North along the coast stopping at select cities, then returning South, stopping at different places returning to where it started.

I told them I know a native (you) and that you might be able to give some pointers and tips.

Besides, it will add to this months post count.
Hah, be careful with digging for your roots. You might noot like what you find

This year's summer has been two and a half months of dry and hot weather so far, more than 100 forest fires just yesterday (from lightning), farmers despair while I have another beer because there's no grass to mow.

But no matter what the weather is like, they'll still have the long days in the south, and the month-long day in the north. The only reason I could possibly see to come here in winter would be the auroras. Every other aspect of winter is just depressing in my insanely humble opinion. Unless you find the winter storms along the coast "exotic", of course Going off-season I'd probably rather go in the spring than in the autumn, though.

As for coastal cruise I guess the obvious choice is Hurtigruten - it's not exactly cheap but it's supposed to excellent. I'd like to go with them some day, at least part of the trip. Maybe Trondheim to Tromsø, arguably the most spectacular part. The full return trip Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen is almost two weeks, way too long for me to be locked up on a ship! They do offer combined trips going north by ship and returning by plane, too.

The full trip has 34 ports of call, but not all of them both ways, I think. They carry goods as well as passengers even if they have turned more cruise ship-like over the years.

I know there are other cruise options, too, but have never looked at them. And if the weather should turn ugly I'd like to go with someone who really knows every nook and cranny along the coast.

Cruise the Norwegian Fjords on the Ultimate Roundtrip from Bergen | Hurtigruten UK

Always happy to up the post count!
07-13-2018, 05:08 AM - 1 Like   #51664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I knew you were going to say that.
I knew you knew I was going to say that....it's a trait all us Canadians share. ;-)

07-13-2018, 05:15 AM   #51665
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So y'all can blow it out your "real cheese" lovin' arse.
I think you cursed me, I have been doing that all morning....could have been the beans in the supper last night too....
07-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #51666
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I think red wine goes better with bugs, but that's just me.
Depends how you cook them IMHO
07-13-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #51667
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nah.

When I do wear something on my head it is usually a ball cap. I do have a bomber hat, for skiing, but only when conditions require it.
I do have this one for camping....

Attached Images

07-13-2018, 05:22 AM   #51668
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The main elements of real cheese would be carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus, and sulfur. But you may also find aluminium, chromium, manganese, iron, nickel, copper, zink, cadmium, and lead.

In other words, you will find elements of real cheese in just about anything

(In all humbless as our Resident Nerd is absent.)
He would be most pleased that his teachings have rubbed off on someone
07-13-2018, 05:24 AM   #51669
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In short, Velveeta was made from waste and byproducts from the very beginning.
So basically the hotdog of the cheese world
07-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #51670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And I knew you were gonig to say that, so I am double pre-prescient.

In the most humble way possible, of course.
Is that like prepubescent?
07-13-2018, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #51671
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like, I’m sure, no whey!
....it's "no whey eh!?"
07-13-2018, 06:11 AM - 2 Likes   #51672
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hah, be careful with digging for your roots. You might noot like what you find

This year's summer has been two and a half months of dry and hot weather so far, more than 100 forest fires just yesterday (from lightning), farmers despair while I have another beer because there's no grass to mow.

But no matter what the weather is like, they'll still have the long days in the south, and the month-long day in the north. The only reason I could possibly see to come here in winter would be the auroras. Every other aspect of winter is just depressing in my insanely humble opinion. Unless you find the winter storms along the coast "exotic", of course Going off-season I'd probably rather go in the spring than in the autumn, though.

As for coastal cruise I guess the obvious choice is Hurtigruten - it's not exactly cheap but it's supposed to excellent. I'd like to go with them some day, at least part of the trip. Maybe Trondheim to Tromsø, arguably the most spectacular part. The full return trip Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen is almost two weeks, way too long for me to be locked up on a ship! They do offer combined trips going north by ship and returning by plane, too.

The full trip has 34 ports of call, but not all of them both ways, I think. They carry goods as well as passengers even if they have turned more cruise ship-like over the years.

I know there are other cruise options, too, but have never looked at them. And if the weather should turn ugly I'd like to go with someone who really knows every nook and cranny along the coast.

Cruise the Norwegian Fjords on the Ultimate Roundtrip from Bergen | Hurtigruten UK

Always happy to up the post count!
Lost an anchor on the Gator freighter I was on in February up in the Fjords near Tromso. kind of exciting, but not as exciting as flying off the deck of the ship in 90 MPH winds two days later. Now that was exciting! Those fjords are like venturi tubes when there is a little onshore blow from the North Atlantic! My Great, great,x8 Grandparents are from the Southern coast of Norway but left in the 17th century for Ireland, and later, The American colonies.
07-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #51673
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Come on over! I'll have your snowshoes, Cinquante, and tuque waiting for you
And a horse and red uniform? All Canucks have those, right?
07-13-2018, 06:24 AM   #51674
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And a horse and red uniform? All Canucks have those, right?
Those aren't actually Canadians....they are Nasa agents
07-13-2018, 06:31 AM   #51675
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Those aren't actually Canadians....they are Nasa agents
Aha... "Australians".

But they are very different, aren't they - must be better actors than I imagined.