Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #53326
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why would anyone put a steak in the ground?
I did see one buried (wrapped in foil) in the coals of fire pit once. Yum.

08-01-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #53327
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why would anyone put a steak in the ground?
I did see one buried (wrapped in foil) in the coals of fire pit once. Yum.
Better than a head in the sand ;-)
08-01-2018, 07:31 AM - 4 Likes   #53328
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
....the way different cultures think are reflected in the subtler nuances of the language. A Swiss friend who married a Chilean lady told this to me. He said that learning Spanish was actually quite straightforward as he already was fluent in French. The problem was understanding phrases. Kinda like English...when someone in a project management meeting say's they'll "put a stake in the ground", it means something to the PMs in the room. Translate that directly into any other language and it means nothing. And sometimes like he said, the phrase contains cultural values that are not necessarily shared by other people the world over....YIKES
This is a major issue in trying to revive native languages in Canada. You can learn the language, but you apparently can't learn the context that makes the speech understandable. My Ojibway teacher doing classes at the Native Friendship Centre in Toronto often had to phone his grandmother for phrases. He knew the words, he couldn't apply them, because he thought like a European. This is not such an issue to the former Roman Empire which does often share a common structured thought process. Many native languages are more fluid and creative to the point of being very had to understand to those who didn't grow up in the culture. And in Canada the culture was destroyed by residential schools.

The issue now is that some things that were done can never be undone. Money is put into preserving native languages, but the cultural environment in which that language makes sense has been destroyed. So they really have no context. Ojibway spoken with Roman structure isn't a native language. it's Roman thought translated into Ojibway, which I'm told is a shell of the richness of the original Ojibway speakers.

Last edited by normhead; 08-01-2018 at 07:44 AM.
08-01-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #53329
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I announced early on that I wouldn't be entering the "raffle", but I did so 45 minutes after Thread 4 opened because I clearly wasn't getting in anyone's way - I wasn't keeping anyone else from entering. My wife said to me, "Even if you win, you can still buy the KP you want". This was a different situation. I have lenses that would allow me to make good use of the KP. I intended to use it.

But these are guys who planned to sell the camera "in box", shutter count zero.
and now neither of us need to " enter "

we are in already

bacon and more bacon

08-01-2018, 08:01 AM - 4 Likes   #53330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

More than a few years ago, minnows, beer, dogs, whiskey and ice fishing, mid to late nineties.

08-01-2018, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #53331
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Once again I must mention, this is a satire thread. shouldn't need these after every statement
I'm not sure how to interpret your statement with those similes at the end.
08-01-2018, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #53332
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
The thought that some come here for understanding scares the hell out of me.

My same statement was posted about a week ago, but then it was credited to its original source, an old Yogi Berra type co-worker.
And it's still funny

08-01-2018, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #53333
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

....the way different cultures think are reflected in the subtler nuances of the language. A Swiss friend who married a Chilean lady told this to me. He said that learning Spanish was actually quite straightforward as he already was fluent in French. The problem was understanding phrases. Kinda like English...when someone in a project management meeting say's they'll "put a stake in the ground", it means something to the PMs in the room. Translate that directly into any other language and it means nothing. And sometimes like he said, the phrase contains cultural values that are not necessarily shared by other people the world over....YIKES
Go fly a kite.
08-01-2018, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #53334
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I'm not sure how to interpret your statement with those similes smilies at the end.
Let me me fix that for you.....or are you inferring that his statement is a simile for something else? I am so confused (in a satirical sort of way)
08-01-2018, 08:25 AM - 3 Likes   #53335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Go fly a kite.
Heyyy, I don't see a smiley...are you being mean?
08-01-2018, 09:02 AM - 3 Likes   #53336
Veteran Member

Originally posted by savoche
Go fly a kite.
Not our RHG, he would never...........
08-01-2018, 09:08 AM - 3 Likes   #53337
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me me fix that for you.....or are you inferring that his statement is a simile for something else? I am so confused (in a satirical sort of way)
I suffer from advanced autocorrectitis when using the phone. When I'll on my computer my mistakes are at least my own. Not that I ever make mistakes. Humble but perfect.
08-01-2018, 09:11 AM - 3 Likes   #53338
Veteran Member

It just dawned on me, today is the first, and it's on a Wednesday, that means I get my rocking chair money on the eighth, the earliest possible.
Mrs Bob gets hers on the third Wednesday.
Time to parteeeee!
08-01-2018, 09:13 AM - 2 Likes   #53339
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't enjoy flying kites?

Then again, I'm a mean bastard. Humble, bit mean.
08-01-2018, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #53340
Veteran Member

Humble but perfect.
Translated, means you're humble and conceited.