Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 06:59 PM - 6 Likes   #56836
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
That's as maybe - so why blame "Lucas" for fridges that they have never made/sold Get your facts right FGS!

PS: ATM, there are (unfortunately!!!!!) no truely English (let alone British!!!) major UK car manufacturers as all the major players are from Germany/France/Japan OR the US - so blame them!:
You mean to say that you never had an English made car or motorcycle? There was a time when cars and motorcycles were made by the English.

Lucas is famous enough that there are many web pages devoted to The Prince Of Darkness.

From just one:
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
  • Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
  • "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
  • Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
  • Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.
  • Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
  • Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

============================================================

Oh, and a very useful Lucas service part:

Description
Have you inadvertantly let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car? This, then, is the solution to your problem!

Here is presented for your perusal one Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke kit, P/N 530433, along with the very rare Churchill Tool 18G548BS adapter tube and metering valve. These kits were supplied surreptitiously to Lucas factory technicians as a trouble-shooting and repair aid for the rectification of chronic electrical problems on a plethora of British cars. The smoke is metered, through the fuse box, into the circuit which has released it's original smoke until the leak is located and repaired. The affected circuit is then rectified and the replacement smoke re-introduced. An advantage over the cheap repro smoke kits currently available is the exceptionally rare Churchill metering valve and fuse box adapter. It enables the intrepid and highly skilled British Car Technician to meter the precise amount of genuine Lucas smoke required by the circuit.

Unlike the cheap, far-eastern replacement DIYsmoke offered by the "usual suppliers", this kit includes a filter to ensure that all the smoke is of consistent size, It has been our experience in our shop that the reproduction Tiawanese smoke is often "lumpy", which will cause excessive resistance in our finely-engineered British harnesses and components. This is often the cause of failure in the repro electrical parts currently available, causing much consternation and misplaced cursing of the big three suppliers.

These kits have long been the secret weapon of the "Ultimate Authorities" in the trade, and this may be the last one available. Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own...

This Genuine Factory Authorised kit contains enough smoke to recharge the entire window circuit on a 420 Jaguar, and my dear friend and advisor George Wolf of British Auto Specialty assures me that he can replace ALL the smoke in a W&F Barrett All-Weather Invalid Car(147 CC) with enough left over to test a whole box of Wind-Tone horns for escaped smoke. How much more of an endorsement do you need?

More, you say? Well, I once let the smoke out of the overdrive wiring on my friend Roger Hankey's TR3B, and was able to drive over 200 miles home from The Roadster Factory Summer Party by carefully introducing smoke into the failed circuit WITHOUT even properly repairing the leak. Another friend, Richard Stephenson, was able to repair the cooling fan circuit of his Series 1 E-type by merely replacing a fuse and injecting a small quantity of smoke back into the wires. So there!

So, if you're troubled by lost smoke, bid early and bid often! Thanks for looking!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is also the Lucas guide to fuse replacement:

Last edited by Racer X 69; 09-05-2018 at 07:11 PM.
09-05-2018, 07:17 PM - 3 Likes   #56837
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Braces - suspenders are something different, I'm not a cross dresser!
Says the man who wears a skirt kilt!
09-05-2018, 07:18 PM   #56838
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Says the man who wears a dress!
I just knew someone would say that
09-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #56839
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just knew someone would say that
Hi Bert

Well.....

Why did ya say it ?????

Dave

09-05-2018, 08:20 PM - 1 Like   #56840
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
(Laughs)

09-05-2018, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #56841
Pentaxian

Warm beer.

They have Lucas refrigerators.

Back in Australia I once offered a friend English beer. He wondered how I got it. I told him it was Coopers which came from the cellar, not the fridge.

But beer too cold does not allow the flavour yielding chemicals to get released enough in the mouth and into the nasal passage.
09-05-2018, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #56842
Pentaxian

Duh! Never heard of "Lucas" fridges in the UK - but "Whatever", and our fridges can be as cold as needed. OTOH, "real" traditionally-brewed British beer doesn't need to be frozen but just "slightly cool"

The fridge my landlord provided is a Hotpoint.

It has a section where stuff goes hard and a section where it goes not so hard.

09-05-2018, 09:08 PM - 1 Like   #56843
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Back in Australia I once offered a friend English beer. He wondered how I got it. I told him it was Coopers which came from the cellar, not the fridge.

But beer too cold does not allow the flavour yielding chemicals to get released enough in the mouth and into the nasal passage.
Hi Tim

Youre probably right.....but you'll die of thirst waiting for it to warm up

Dave
09-05-2018, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #56844
Pentaxian

Quite so - but we BRITS (and I actually hate that "term") are just like any other nationality(!), and can't "agree" to accept "slanderous" accusations like that! Would the Anzacs (minus the Aussies! ) react any differently

So you prefer the other referent to people from UK, the one that starts with "P"?
09-05-2018, 09:20 PM - 2 Likes   #56845
Pentaxian

I'll give you that but... who needs comfort anyhow?

We all know you like your cars not very Gucci.
09-05-2018, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #56846
Pentaxian

You mean to say that you never had an English made car or motorcycle? There was a time when cars and motorcycles were made by the English.

Lucas is famous enough that there are many web pages devoted to The Prince Of Darkness.

From just one:
  • The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
  • Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
  • Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
  • The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
  • The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
  • Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices.
  • Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
  • "I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
  • If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
  • Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
  • Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators.
  • Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
  • Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."
============================================================

Oh, and a very useful Lucas service part:

Description
Have you inadvertantly let the smoke out of the wires on your classic British car? This, then, is the solution to your problem!

Here is presented for your perusal one Lucas Replacement Wiring Harness Smoke kit, P/N 530433, along with the very rare Churchill Tool 18G548BS adapter tube and metering valve. These kits were supplied surreptitiously to Lucas factory technicians as a trouble-shooting and repair aid for the rectification of chronic electrical problems on a plethora of British cars. The smoke is metered, through the fuse box, into the circuit which has released it's original smoke until the leak is located and repaired. The affected circuit is then rectified and the replacement smoke re-introduced. An advantage over the cheap repro smoke kits currently available is the exceptionally rare Churchill metering valve and fuse box adapter. It enables the intrepid and highly skilled British Car Technician to meter the precise amount of genuine Lucas smoke required by the circuit.

Unlike the cheap, far-eastern replacement DIYsmoke offered by the "usual suppliers", this kit includes a filter to ensure that all the smoke is of consistent size, It has been our experience in our shop that the reproduction Tiawanese smoke is often "lumpy", which will cause excessive resistance in our finely-engineered British harnesses and components. This is often the cause of failure in the repro electrical parts currently available, causing much consternation and misplaced cursing of the big three suppliers.

These kits have long been the secret weapon of the "Ultimate Authorities" in the trade, and this may be the last one available. Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own...

This Genuine Factory Authorised kit contains enough smoke to recharge the entire window circuit on a 420 Jaguar, and my dear friend and advisor George Wolf of British Auto Specialty assures me that he can replace ALL the smoke in a W&F Barrett All-Weather Invalid Car(147 CC) with enough left over to test a whole box of Wind-Tone horns for escaped smoke. How much more of an endorsement do you need?

More, you say? Well, I once let the smoke out of the overdrive wiring on my friend Roger Hankey's TR3B, and was able to drive over 200 miles home from The Roadster Factory Summer Party by carefully introducing smoke into the failed circuit WITHOUT even properly repairing the leak. Another friend, Richard Stephenson, was able to repair the cooling fan circuit of his Series 1 E-type by merely replacing a fuse and injecting a small quantity of smoke back into the wires. So there!

So, if you're troubled by lost smoke, bid early and bid often! Thanks for looking!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

There is also the Lucas guide to fuse replacement:

We all know that all electrical and electronic stuff runs on smoke, when the smoke comes out it stops.

All the car factories here are run by foreigners. Minis are made at Cowley by BMW. Honda do something at Swindon. Nissan make cars in the north. Vauxhaul is part of a US conglomerate. Rolls Royce is owned by BMW who first bought the factory but forgot to check who owned the brand and did not get the brand. They had to buy use of the brand for cars from the jet engine people, whose products Racer makes mounting points for in the big shed. Have you ever heard of corporate blunders before?
09-05-2018, 10:37 PM - 3 Likes   #56847
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
So can the Wrath of Bob!
E.coli marinated fillets of salmonella chicken?
09-05-2018, 10:46 PM - 4 Likes   #56848
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Warm beer.

They have Lucas refrigerators.
Asterix in Britain

09-05-2018, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #56849
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote

Cellar temp is just about right.

Well, for the standard industrial lager it doesn't matter much. No taste anyway so you might as well drink it cold.
09-06-2018, 12:48 AM   #56850
Pentaxian

@tim60

".....Vauxhaul is part of a US conglomerate... "

NOT - Peugot-Citroen bought the whole Vauxhall/Opel "empire" from GM recently (in 2017 IIRC), and then found out that there was a big "hole" in the finances because GM had done little or nothing to prepare for the forthcoming more stringent emissions controls.