Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 02:11 AM   #56851
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@tim60

".....Vauxhaul is part of a US conglomerate... "

NOT - Peugot-Citroen bought the whole Vauxhall/Opel "empire" from GM recently (in 2017 IIRC), and then found out that there was a big "hole" in the finances because GM had done little or nothing to prepare for the forthcoming more stringent emissions controls.
Indeed. And that presents an interesting conundrum for Holden, as the new Commodore is an Opel.

09-06-2018, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #56852
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Indeed. And that presents an interesting conundrum for Holden, as the new Commodore is an Opel.
are you saying that it isn't a gem of a vehicle

O-P-E-L vs. O-P-A-L
09-06-2018, 04:30 AM   #56853
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
are you saying that it isn't a gem of a vehicle

O-P-E-L vs. O-P-A-L
No. And while I'm a Ford fan and biased, the new Commodore is a shadow of it's former self. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Holden has basically ignored their entire loyal fan base by getting rid of all the rear wheel drive V6 and V8 offerings and replacing same with a front wheel drive asthmatic four cylinder car. And sales have taken a spectacular dive.

Ford, for their faults, at least had the good sense to think ahead when they canned the Aussie Fairmont. They're selling RHD Mustangs and those are selling well. Of course, hardly anyone is buying sedans anymore. Everyone wants an SUV. Which is why Ford canned the large sedan in the USA, and most every other market.
09-06-2018, 04:31 AM   #56854
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Cellar temp is just about right.

Well, for the standard industrial lager it doesn't matter much. No taste anyway so you might as well drink it cold.

But it was coopers, so worthy of being more particular about temperature. But still, not too cold.

09-06-2018, 04:33 AM   #56855
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
@tim60

".....Vauxhaul is part of a US conglomerate... "

NOT - Peugot-Citroen bought the whole Vauxhall/Opel "empire" from GM recently (in 2017 IIRC), and then found out that there was a big "hole" in the finances because GM had done little or nothing to prepare for the forthcoming more stringent emissions controls.

I recall that now. Sorry for the error.
09-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #56856
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No. And while I'm a Ford fan and biased, the new Commodore is a shadow of it's former self. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Holden has basically ignored their entire loyal fan base by getting rid of all the rear wheel drive V6 and V8 offerings and replacing same with a front wheel drive asthmatic four cylinder car. And sales have taken a spectacular dive.

Ford, for their faults, at least had the good sense to think ahead when they canned the Aussie Fairmont. They're selling RHD Mustangs and those are selling well. Of course, hardly anyone is buying sedans anymore. Everyone wants an SUV. Which is why Ford canned the large sedan in the USA, and most every other market.
and an SUV is just a station wagon on steroids
09-06-2018, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #56857
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, more car to move all your "stuff".

09-06-2018, 04:40 AM   #56858
Pentaxian

And therefore does not fit on the road here, and does not fit in carparks around here either and the turning circle is so big it takes multiple moves to get into a normal shopping centre carpark.

And long ago English people stopped putting their car in the garage because they never updated the size of the garage to hold more than either a 1930s size car or a sidecar motorbike. And it seems all garages are far from the house unlike in Australia where the garage is usually part of the house, with a door into the house, so you can take the shopping in without getting wet, or load the kids in the car without going outside where they might escape.
09-06-2018, 04:50 AM - 2 Likes   #56859
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Braces - suspenders are something different, I'm not a cross dresser!
You're in Canada now...if you say braces here, people think you are a 16 year old girl with badly aligned teeth. And yes, there are suspenders and then there are suspenders.

I pictured you as in #1 not #2 and that's for sure

09-06-2018, 04:52 AM   #56860
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I just knew someone would say that
No wonder you are grumpy; no respect from the livE hociR massest!!
09-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #56861
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Back in Australia I once offered a friend English beer. He wondered how I got it. I told him it was Coopers which came from the cellar, not the fridge.

But beer too cold does not allow the flavour yielding chemicals to get released enough in the mouth and into the nasal passage.
And for some mass-produced beers, keeping it cold and not releasing those flavour yielding chemicals is a good thing.
09-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #56862
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
You're in Canada now...if you say braces here, people think you are a 16 year old girl with badly aligned teeth. And yes, there are suspenders and then there are suspenders.

I pictured you as in #1 not #2 and that's for sure

braces, suspenders, garters

terms used for the same/different clothing accessories

Mens Sock Suspenders | eBay
09-06-2018, 04:55 AM - 4 Likes   #56863
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The fridge my landlord provided is a Hotpoint.

It has a section where stuff goes hard and a section where it goes not so hard.
There's a joke to be made out of that but it not coming to me
09-06-2018, 04:55 AM   #56864
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and my guess is that you don't see a lot of the " ranch style housing " either:
They're everywhere. Like a bad rash.
09-06-2018, 04:56 AM   #56865
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

And therefore does not fit on the road here, and does not fit in carparks around here either and the turning circle is so big it takes multiple moves to get into a normal shopping centre carpark.

And long ago English people stopped putting their car in the garage because they never updated the size of the garage to hold more than either a 1930s size car or a sidecar motorbike. And it seems all garages are far from the house unlike in Australia where the garage is usually part of the house, with a door into the house, so you can take the shopping in without getting wet, or load the kids in the car without going outside where they might escape.
and my guess is that you don't see a lot of the " ranch style housing " either:

a domestic architectural style originating in the United States. The ranch-style house is noted for its long, close-to-the-ground profile, and wide open layout. The house style fused modernist ideas and styles with notions of the American Western period of wide open spaces to create a very informal and casual living style. While the original style of the ranch was very informal and basic in design, starting around the early 1960s, many ranch-style houses constructed in the United States (particularly in the Sun Belt region) were increasingly built with more dramatic features like varying roof lines, cathedral ceilings, sunken living rooms, and extensive landscaping and grounds.

First built in the 1920s, the ranch style was extremely popular with the booming post-war middle class of the 1940s to the 1970s. The style is often associated with tract housing built at this time, particularly in the southwest United States, which experienced a population explosion during this period, with a corresponding demand for housing. The style was soon exported to other nations and became popular worldwide. However, their popularity waned in the late 20th century as neo-eclectic house styles, a return to using historical and traditional decoration, became more popular.

Ranch-style house - Wikipedia