Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #57511
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
If a little helps a bit, a big one helps more.
Yep, that's one of my mottos:
If more is better, then too much is just about right.

I'm really starting to think it's hay fever, the ragweed pollen count is very high right now.

09-17-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #57512
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nah, it's not that cold here. Some (like me) struggle with the darkness, though. Sunrise at 10am and sunset at 3pm is not my kind of fun. Or up north, sunset in November, sunrise in January

But there are good things, too. Like 5 weeks of paid vacation
I could handle that! I imagine I'd need to sell my guns or pass them along to my mom first.
09-17-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #57513
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Got no gin, will bourbon do?
To me winter colds aren't as bad as summer colds.
It's been hot here, 90's, and will be until Friday.
Yep, been working in the back yard for the last three days...36 (97) with the humidex...27 (80) without. Water has been my friend
09-17-2018, 10:05 AM - 3 Likes   #57514
Veteran Member

What took them so long?

09-17-2018, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #57515
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need some fellow man sympathy, I think I have a head cold, either that or I've developed hay fever after all these years.
Haven't had a cold in I can't remember when, rough night, didn't get up until 7:20, feel like crap.
I feel for you Bob.

The worst part of having a cold is you can’t taste anything.

Like bacon.
09-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #57516
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Got no gin, will bourbon do?
Bourbon will be just fine.

After about three you won’t notice the cold.
09-17-2018, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #57517
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Bourbon will be just fine.

After about three you won’t notice the cold.

09-17-2018, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #57518
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just thinking about that guy.

Why would anyone think it gets too cold in Norway?

I mean, look at that guy, just jumping right in!
09-17-2018, 10:35 AM - 2 Likes   #57519
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Vikingfjord will do that to you
09-17-2018, 10:36 AM   #57520
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I could handle that! I imagine I'd need to sell my guns or pass them along to my mom first.
Nah, depends on what you've got. Some kinds are ok, others not (like anything full auto), but unless you're active at the range (participating in some competitions) or hunting you'll be allowed to have just a handful (3 or 4, I think). The rules differ from country to country, but lots of people hunt in the Nordics.
09-17-2018, 10:43 AM - 2 Likes   #57521
Veteran Member

it was a lot colder in central Minnesota training up for Norway than it was in Norway, but there aren't mountains like that in Minnesota! Or helicopter flights in 80 MPH winds ripping through the Fjords during the initial landing exercise. (Thought there was a good chance of drowning after hypothermia set in if we went down.)
09-17-2018, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #57522
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

True. The lake isn't even entirely frozen over, and no frost mist. So not really cold.

If it were cold it would look more like this (image stolen from the Intarwebs).

09-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #57523
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
it was a lot colder in central Minnesota training up for Norway than it was in Norway, but there aren't mountains like that in Minnesota! Or helicopter flights in 80 MPH winds ripping through the Fjords during the initial landing exercise. (Thought there was a good chance of drowning after hypothermia set in if we went down.)
What's this talk of hypothermia and drowning? I'd pay to go on a ride like that in those parts!

To see really low temperatures in Norway you have to go further inland - just like with Minnesota, I guess. It rarely gets very cold along the coast, maybe down to -20C or thereabouts at most. Further in it can easily dip below -40, or even -50 up north.
09-17-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #57524
Veteran Member

What's this talk of hypothermia and drowning? I'd pay to go on a ride like that in those parts!

To see really low temperatures in Norway you have to go further inland - just like with Minnesota, I guess. It rarely gets very cold along the coast, maybe down to -20C or thereabouts at most. Further in it can easily dip below -40, or even -50 up north.
Trying to load our Ahkio sled into the British Sea King Helicopter up on deck, it blew away from us a couple times due to wind. (Sled weighed over 200 pounds!) This was when the insertion had been delayed 24 + hours since the weather was more extreme the day before. Then when we got into the helo, we found out that Senior British pilots fly with only a crew chief and no co-pilot. I think it was Prince Andrew flying our bird. (his squadron at least!) Thought we were done for since the water is all of 2 or 3 degrees Celsius! February of 82. Near Bardu or even North of that,( not that there is a whole lot more North of there!)
09-17-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #57525
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Trying to load our Ahkio sled into the British Sea King Helicopter up on deck, it blew away from us a couple times due to wind. (Sled weighed over 200 pounds!) This was when the insertion had been delayed 24 + hours since the weather was more extreme the day before. Then when we got into the helo, we found out that Senior British pilots fly with only a crew chief and no co-pilot. I think it was Prince Andrew flying our bird. (his squadron at least!) Thought we were done for since the water is all of 2 or 3 degrees Celsius! February of 82. Near Bardu or even North of that,( not that there is a whole lot more North of there!)
I guess it makes sense with just one pilot. If you lose a chopper you lose just one pilot instead of two... Besides, the Sea Kings were made in the early 60ies, weren't they? They didn't break in a hurry. Or don't - we still fly them here. And in Canada, I believe.

I can do well without those winds. But it's an utterly beautiful part of the country. At least in summer it is. In winter I guess it's more exotic than beautiful

Oh, and in summer the sea temperature can easily go up to about 12°C.