10-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #59132
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Was it...... oohhh....... I must have slept through it

Dave
10-31-2018, 09:11 PM - 3 Likes   #59133
Veteran Member

None here, that I know of, we were out at an amazing talk by Doug Scott, specifically about the first ascent of The Ogre in 1977, where he broke both legs on the summit, while on the week long descent, with no food, another member of the team broke a bunch of ribs and contracted pneumonia....

*holy comma splicing*

...and you'll be glad to know that the photography he shared was not taken with a K-3 but with a Pentax LX.
10-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #59134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Near panic attack here this morning.
The coffee pot was turned on for my first cup, I was getting pooch her breakfast, and Bam! the electricity went off!!
And stayed off, not like it sometimes does, off just a second or two then back on, this was like forever!
Well, at least 15 seconds. But long enough for me to stress about getting my coffee.
Camp stove? Fire up the generator on my little RV? Donut shop run?
All is right with the world again.

The 1 second outages are part of the protection strategy. Many faults are temporary and that avoids inconvenience and call outs for the majority of events.

15 seconds is unusual.

10-31-2018, 10:45 PM   #59135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Oh, that sounds like a horrible experience! Is there somebody you can sue over the emotional distress? And the PST that is sure to follow?

He is in America - you need not have bothered asking that question.
10-31-2018, 10:47 PM   #59136
Pentaxian

When will we ever learn, when will we eeeeeever learn?

(Sorry mr. Seeger...)

What I find worse is that it is very difficult to even find suppliers of good quality stuff of many kinds.
10-31-2018, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #59137
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Well, I think most of the younger kids around here will have gone to bed now, being that it's a school day tomorrow - and not a single "Trick or Treat!" caller this year. Finally, it seems I've achieved the perfect combination of black-out blinds and selective / adjustable interior lighting such that the house looks entirely unoccupied from outside. Parking the cars 50 - 100 yds up the road helps too, I think

I had to drive through Coventry last night (no, I was not naughty) and there were mobs of people on the streets in clothes that were hard to see in the dark. The streets are already narrow enough you need to wait for the car to come from the other end of the street before you can go.

10-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #59138
Pentaxian

Same here. I went for a walk around 6-7 pm and encountered hundreds (yes hundreds) of children high on sugar blackmailing their way from house to house for more. I guess this means I was away just during peak hour, but we had none calling before or after, either.

I would much have preferred the retail business to have left Halloween on the other side of the pond

Sorry, not meaning to usurp Bob's Resident Grumpy Guy title. Besides, if that's the worst I can come up with life must be pretty darn good

Last night at Costco in Coventry they were playing Christmas music and displaying Christmas decorations for sale.
10-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #59139
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
As usual, not a single one here.

Still, I'm not getting a K-3.
Well I was at work

Dave
11-01-2018, 12:44 AM - 2 Likes   #59140
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Last night at Costco in Coventry they were playing Christmas music and displaying Christmas decorations for sale.
Good thing they don't let us forget what Christmas is all about!

11-01-2018, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #59141
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 1 second outages are part of the protection strategy. Many faults are temporary and that avoids inconvenience and call outs for the majority of events.

15 seconds is unusual.
15 seconds?

About nine years ago we had several feet of snow. It was wet and heavy. The trees were overloaded with it and many came down, taking a large amount of wire and poles down. About 80% of the service area for our electric utility was affected.

My house is near the end of the road, 29 spans of wire off the nearest main distribution line.

The deep snow made it difficult for the utility crews to get down the road to repair the damage. Of course we were a small part of about 250,000 electric utility customers who were out of power.

It took about three weeks for the crews to get power restored to all affected areas.

15 seconds.

Phtt!
11-01-2018, 02:22 AM - 2 Likes   #59142
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I had to drive through Coventry last night (no, I was not naughty) and there were mobs of people on the streets in clothes that were hard to see in the dark. The streets are already narrow enough you need to wait for the car to come from the other end of the street before you can go.
That's terrible. Not the people on the streets, but the fact you had to drive through Coventry...
11-01-2018, 02:23 AM   #59143
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

What I find worse is that it is very difficult to even find suppliers of good quality stuff of many kinds.
Ricoh Pentax makes very good cameras.

Subaru makes very good cars.

Carharrt makes very good clothing.

I could go on.
11-01-2018, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #59144
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

That is awful.

There ought to be a law.
11-01-2018, 03:10 AM   #59145
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Ricoh Pentax makes very good cameras.

Subaru makes very good cars.

Carharrt makes very good clothing.

I could go on.
Harvard makes good lawyers.

« AF1 vs AF2 | - »