Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #59221
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
OK... So my 12" Lodge skillet has been ordered (and is here - ready for me parents to gift it to me at Christmas ).

Next question:

Do any of you folks use a skillet for dishes that need cooking with a lid on to retain moisture and build up a little steam (I realise it has a pouring spout of sorts, so I complete seal wouldn't be possible)? If so, what do you use? Is there a proper matching lid available? I haven't been able to find one over here in the UK. Or do you just use foil, which seems a reasonable idea to me...
Do a search for universal skillet lid and you should find some options.
We have a thin aluminum one that fits 12" or smaller, it's old, and don't know where or when we got it.

11-01-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #59222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Would it not be better to use a rock or a brick or even a piece of wood under one of the retractable legs?
It's a robust piece of equipment, for sure, but I doubt it's designed to take that kind of load...

EDIT: Mark beat me to it
That's not quite what I meant...
11-01-2018, 05:26 PM - 4 Likes   #59223
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's not quite what I meant...
Welcome to the easily misunderstood and derailed thread.
11-01-2018, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #59224
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Great deer hunting gun
Wouldn't be much left of the deer after one shot from that gun.

11-01-2018, 05:32 PM - 3 Likes   #59225
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wouldn't be much left of the deer after one shot from that gun.
What are you doing here? You should be out shooting stuff with your K-1!
11-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #59226
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

What are you doing here? You should be out shooting stuff with your K-1!
I did make a few exposures today, after work, but no time to process them. Now it is dark, I am having dinner, and then it will be time for bed.
11-01-2018, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #59227
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Carr: Them clothes got laundry numbers on them. You remember your number and always wear the ones that has your number. Any man forgets his number spends a night in the box. These here spoons you keep with you. Any man loses his spoon spends a night in the box. There's no playing grab-ass or fighting in the building. You got a grudge against another man, you fight him Saturday afternoon. Any man playing grab-ass or fighting in the building spends a night in the box. First bell's at five minutes of eight when you will get in your bunk. Last bell is at eight. Any man not in his bunk at eight spends the night in the box. There is no smoking in the prone position in bed. To smoke you must have both legs over the side of your bunk. Any man caught smoking in the prone position in bed... spends a night in the box. You get two sheets. Every Saturday, you put the clean sheet on the top... the top sheet on the bottom... and the bottom sheet you turn in to the laundry boy. Any man turns in the wrong sheet spends a night in the box. No one'll sit in the bunks with dirty pants on. Any man with dirty pants on sitting on the bunks spends a night in the box. Any man don't bring back his empty pop bottle spends a night in the box. Any man loud talking spends a night in the box. You got questions, you come to me. I'm Carr, the floor walker. I'm responsible for order in here. Any man don't keep order spends a night in...

Luke: ...the box.
Awesome movie.

11-01-2018, 07:31 PM   #59228
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I will never cease to be amazed by the culinary innovation over there... I guess we'll get them here in a few years' time
Amazon could probably have some there in a week or so.
11-01-2018, 07:38 PM - 3 Likes   #59229
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

OK... So my 12" Lodge skillet has been ordered (and is here - ready for me parents to gift it to me at Christmas ).

Next question:

Do any of you folks use a skillet for dishes that need cooking with a lid on to retain moisture and build up a little steam (I realise it has a pouring spout of sorts, so I complete seal wouldn't be possible)? If so, what do you use? Is there a proper matching lid available? I haven't been able to find one over here in the UK. Or do you just use foil, which seems a reasonable idea to me...
I dunno Mike.

But if you had 5 more of those skillets you could do this.

11-01-2018, 07:50 PM   #59230
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did make a few exposures today, after work, but no time to process them. Now it is dark, I am having dinner, and then it will be time for bed.
Aha. I suffer the same problem. I've not touch a camera in more than a week - and then it was for work.
11-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #59231
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dunno Mike.

50cal vs SKILLETS - YouTube
That's an awful waste of a number of good skillets!
11-01-2018, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #59232
Veteran Member

That's an awful waste of a number of good skillets!
My exact thoughts Mark.
11-01-2018, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #59233
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
15 seconds?

About nine years ago we had several feet of snow. It was wet and heavy. The trees were overloaded with it and many came down, taking a large amount of wire and poles down. About 80% of the service area for our electric utility was affected.

My house is near the end of the road, 29 spans of wire off the nearest main distribution line.

The deep snow made it difficult for the utility crews to get down the road to repair the damage. Of course we were a small part of about 250,000 electric utility customers who were out of power.

It took about three weeks for the crews to get power restored to all affected areas.

15 seconds.

Phtt!

I did say 15 seconds is unusual. Longer than the recloser protection mechanism but too quick for repair crews to do anything.
11-01-2018, 10:21 PM   #59234
Pentaxian

That's terrible. Not the people on the streets, but the fact you had to drive through Coventry...

I was going from the Advanced Engineering Exhibition in Birmingham to the nearest Costco in the direction towards home. You can tell the area is not so good - the Costco does not stock many lines which are in those in Milton Keynes, Bristol and Reading.
11-01-2018, 10:31 PM   #59235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I'm ok with unisex washrooms, as long as there not a 1 inch gap on each sides of the doors and that each toilet unit is closed from top to bottom. That's the only way it could work.

I have noticed on my trips to US that they economise a lot on the partition materials in the cubicles. The partitions only seem to go down to just above knee height, and doors look like they are for one cubicle size smaller, they fit so badly, and the partitions are low enough a basketballer could simply look over the top.

How come?

Is it just an building materials economy drive or is there some other problem they are trying to solve?