Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nope, this thread is entirely serious!
Ya, youbetcha! Just ask Shirley.

11-11-2018, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #59627
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mail innovations is innovative only in how to delay your package! Just USPS is better in almost every case.
11-11-2018, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #59628
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Your haikus, Racer
Are not superb, they should be:
Five - seven - five, see?
I know.

They suck.

Bob already said so.
11-11-2018, 09:14 PM - 2 Likes   #59629
Pentaxian

We were out about today. It was heartening that the store we were in made an announcement asking for a moment of silence to remember the sacrifices made. They even phrased it as the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

<salute>

11-11-2018, 09:23 PM - 2 Likes   #59630
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
We were out about today. It was heartening that the store we were in made an announcement asking for a moment of silence to remember the sacrifices made. They even phrased it as the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.
Many stores here didn't open until midday, so people could attend the ceremony at the cenotaph
That's where I was, after piping with cold fingers in the parade there, and piping with really cold fingers on the way back.
11-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #59631
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
You can certainly get them in frozen form in some major UK supermarkets - SWMBO buys them regularly

When we came here we were rather surprised at the variety of food compared with Australia, many more varieties of things which in Australia are treated as unitary, such as sugar, or the number of kinds of vinegar, etc. But it is also very noticeable that it is rare to have two brands of direct equivalent on the shelf in the same supermarket, and most supermarkets are almost entirely selling 'own brand'. Must be really hard for smaller sie producers who can only supply a modest part of the market, or only have a small number of lines available.
11-11-2018, 10:13 PM   #59632
dbs
Pentaxian

Many stores here didn't open until midday, so people could attend the ceremony at the cenotaph
That's where I was, after piping with cold fingers in the parade there, and piping with really cold fingers on the way back.
Hi Bert

My cousin was doing the same...but.. he's a drummer and it was 30C here

Dave

11-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #59633
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Just finished my few moments of silence.

The eleventh hour, of the eleventh day, of the eleventh month.

Never like to hear Last Post because of its association with dead people.

But that history is a fact of our life that has shaped our world to be the way it is.
11-11-2018, 10:16 PM   #59634
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
When we came here we were rather surprised at the variety of food compared with Australia, many more varieties of things which in Australia are treated as unitary, such as sugar, or the number of kinds of vinegar, etc. But it is also very noticeable that it is rare to have two brands of direct equivalent on the shelf in the same supermarket, and most supermarkets are almost entirely selling 'own brand'. Must be really hard for smaller sie producers who can only supply a modest part of the market, or only have a small number of lines available.
Hi Tim

Yes "own brand " product its to make it "cheaper" ( cough) for the customer.....ye'r right.
Thats the Australian slant on it anyway ( Coles & Woolies ).

Dave
11-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #59635
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
I always think of my Dad (on the far right)....he was one of the lucky ones; the survivors.

I once worked with a B17 mid-gunner. We were in a college library in Taiwan. Very nice man, called Bob, like a few others around here.
11-11-2018, 10:25 PM   #59636
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I had one that went Brown Truck (UPS) from the Bronx, to New Orleans, Los Angeles, Seattle, Everett, and finally Arlington.

Another scenic route.

Were they charging by the ton-mile, so it was to their advantage to take it as far as they could halfway justify taking it.

Henry Ford had some interesting comments about that kind of thing with railways. He got things fixed when he said he was going to pay by his calculation of the miles, based on the railway company network, and his stuff arrived a week earlier.

One of the annoying things about hub and spokes airlines is that they charge for all the sectors and the landing in the airports, as well as filling your whole day with the journey. If they were forced to charge by miles from origin to destination, that would be tolerable compensation for filling you day going places you never wanted to go.
11-11-2018, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #59637
Pentaxian

Your haikus, Racer
Are not superb, they should be:
Five - seven - five, see?

But Racer wants 7-5-7.
11-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #59638
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tim

Yes "own brand " product its to make it "cheaper" ( cough) for the customer.....ye'r right.
Thats the Australian slant on it anyway ( Coles & Woolies ).

Dave

Here it is hard to get other than the home brand in most supermarkets, except for some very established products from ancient times. But still no real competition between the home brand and branded one. Many of the shops run multiple home brands, pitched at basic, and middle to upper market segments. But still no space for outside makers to get involved.
11-11-2018, 10:45 PM   #59639
dbs
Pentaxian

Here it is hard to get other than the home brand in most supermarkets, except for some very established products from ancient times. But still no real competition between the home brand and branded one. Many of the shops run multiple home brands, pitched at basic, and middle to upper market segments. But still no space for outside makers to get involved.
Hi Tim

If you have a product and want to sell it in there stores,they tend to demand the price they will pay for it to you and how many they want per day ,week ,month etc.
Company RRP ( recommended retail price ) has gone out the window since the "big Two" took over.

Dave
11-12-2018, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #59640
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
But Racer wants 7-5-7.
Actually Racer wants 7-7-7.