QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
offenCe

11-17-2018, 07:08 PM - 1 Like   #59837
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I just ate a bacon topped donut for dessert, purchased from a small bakery in a mundane small town.
I'm envious.

I have a thing for bacon crumbled onto a maple bar.

Or a chocolate maple bar.
11-17-2018, 07:23 PM   #59838
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My printer is three dimensional, never seen one with only two dimensions...
I see you are back on your game sir
11-17-2018, 11:14 PM   #59839
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
Google is your friend....or a tech savvy friend :-)

The problem with many tech savvy friends is that they are so fascinated by the equipment that they seem unable to incorporate the what I want to do with the machine question.

I notice that problem more with computer people than with those looking at other tech.

Also with the tech people would get their product right first try rather than keep issuing updates which seem to inflict their installation at really inconvenient times, and if it is really important to print or send a document by exactly a certain time, they seem to issue an update that gets complications or takes inordinately long to happen.

I joked with friends who work for US DoD that they have the power to stop that nonsense by getting a contract for IT gear with the following terms:
1. It will work properly in the issue that is supplied.
2. It will be written well enough there are NO updates need until the next proper version.
3. Exactly the same s/w will be supplied to all users, so there are no problems with other s/w working on one version and crashing another version.

On item 3 I can tell a story of the Yahoo Taiwan chat service which worked fine on Windows XP Chinese but crashed Windows XP English at random intervals from about 1 minutes to 5 minutes after starting Internet Explorer.

11-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #59840
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Mrs Tim finally bugged me enough yesterday that I tried to print a bunch of pictures she got on her phone. The process is really painful - she transmitted them to me through an equivalent of WhatsApp. First big mistake because that seemed to degrade the quality to 250kB jpgs. Then I sent them to iCloud and waited a week to be able to download them to my machine. Then, as jpgs the only s/w I have which can edit it at all is the default windows picture thing. So the quality if very poor. And this for holiday photos where she would not let me take my proper camera because it was too big to carry around. Also, she thinks the only interesting pictures are ones with at least one of us standing in them. She thinks I am slow because with the proper camera I take the one with the people in the way, to oblige, and then wait for them to get out of the way so I can take the picture I wanted.

I need an photo editor, freeware, which can process jpg files as input. The proper camera s/w I use is the Silypix which shipped with the camera which I find sufficient.
11-18-2018, 08:02 AM   #59841
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Mrs Tim finally bugged me enough yesterday that I tried to print a bunch of pictures she got on her phone. The process is really painful - she transmitted them to me through an equivalent of WhatsApp. First big mistake because that seemed to degrade the quality to 250kB jpgs. Then I sent them to iCloud and waited a week to be able to download them to my machine. Then, as jpgs the only s/w I have which can edit it at all is the default windows picture thing. So the quality if very poor. And this for holiday photos where she would not let me take my proper camera because it was too big to carry around. Also, she thinks the only interesting pictures are ones with at least one of us standing in them. She thinks I am slow because with the proper camera I take the one with the people in the way, to oblige, and then wait for them to get out of the way so I can take the picture I wanted.

I need an photo editor, freeware, which can process jpg files as input. The proper camera s/w I use is the Silypix which shipped with the camera which I find sufficient.
Best way is to connect the phone to the computer and upload them...
11-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #59842
Veteran Member

GIMP maybe?

11-18-2018, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #59843
Veteran Member

Best way is to connect the phone to the computer and upload them...
Why do a sensible thing when you can do it awkwardly...?
11-18-2018, 08:37 AM   #59844
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GIMP maybe?
I find Gimp over the top too complicated, but I am a little simple. For free I used to like Picasa (still use it for some things even though it is no longer supported by Google...and careful where you download it from as some of the download sites load it up with a virus or two). For a few bucks, in the easy to use category, I really really like DXO.
11-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #59845
Veteran Member

My android phone auto loads pics to Google Photos, phone and computer.
If I share them from GP to a forum, then I'm the only one who can see them and it's frustrating.
I transfer them to Flickr for sharing.
11-18-2018, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #59846
Veteran Member

I find Gimp over the top too complicated, but I am a little simple. For free I used to like Picasa (still use it for some things even though it is no longer supported by Google...and careful where you download it from as some of the download sites load it up with a virus or two). For a few bucks, in the easy to use category, I really really like DXO.
I really liked Picasa, now I use Google Photos for tweaks.
Tried a free Lightroom trial, it was way to complicated for me, same with PaintShop.
I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to create a masterpiece, just a few adjustments is all I want.
I'll check out DXO.

bacon, beer, cheese
11-18-2018, 09:18 AM - 2 Likes   #59847
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really liked Picasa, now I use Google Photos for tweaks.
Tried a free Lightroom trial, it was way to complicated for me, same with PaintShop.
I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to create a masterpiece, just a few adjustments is all I want.
I'll check out DXO.

bacon, beer, cheese
DXO has all the sliders you would want and more but even better, it has ClearView....usually, just click on that and it is all that is need to make the picture "pop"

Here is a good example....one click...and if the Clearview effect is not harsh (or not effective enough), there is a slider to vary it's effect....in that attached, there is also another nice tool called Smart Lighting....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo   
11-18-2018, 09:32 AM - 2 Likes   #59848
Veteran Member

DXO has all the sliders you would want and more but even better, it has ClearView....usually, just click on that and it is all that is need to make the picture "pop"
I like that!

Software talk isn't the same as gear talk is it?
Pardon my little test to see if a pic from my cell phone sent to Google Photos, then to Facebook and copied from there to here shows up.
Frost on our deck table:

11-18-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #59849
Veteran Member

I like that!

Pardon my little test to see if a pic from my cell phone sent to Google Photos, then to Facebook and copied from there to here shows up.
Frost on our deck table:
Icy it Bob
11-18-2018, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #59850
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, but, bacon.

Frost on our deck table:

Is that SOOP {straight out of phone}?

Either way, just another reason you won't be buying a K-3.

With SOOP like that, who needs it?
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »