Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2019, 12:30 AM   #62656
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Is that even a possibility? /Sarcasm off/ I pay almost 80 USD a month for 15 Mbps down 1 up here in the sticks. No Landline, no cable tv. At least it is uncapped and I am close enough for the internet to work if I plug my router in to the generator cord when there are outages.

I get a mobile deal here GBP17 p/m for some phone calls, some texts (far more than I ever use) and unlimited date to be used on the phone, but only 4GB per month to tether. Does anyone know an Apple App that will enable tethering but make it look like the data is being used on the phone for the service provider?

I also need landline to get internet to enable streaming TV. We tried the SIM card in an iPad once but got a warning that it was not in a phone, so it would not get the unlimited data.

But, besides that, I cannot rely on the mobile for good data reception at home because often the speed throttles back so much that getting basic text like things in and out is difficult. Mobile providers in UK are pretty amateurish compared with mot countries I have visited. Definitely nothing like the east Asian countries where they make their networks work in difficult places such as high speed trains in tunnels, deep underground in the metro as well as in any building, including a few floors of basement. Here using the phone in a building makes you feel a bit like a smoker - you have to go outside. There are several competing carriers but none of them compete on making there service work in almost all places, and definitely everywhere inside settlements of at least a population of 10,000 people.

They seem to like the idea of making you use wifi provided by bus companies, Maccas, shops or shopping centres etc, and that results in huge numbers of harassing emails from those providers because to get on you need to give your email address, and or your phone number so they can do a second stage authentication via text message. And this in a country where you can buy a SIM card without showing ID.

02-16-2019, 05:27 AM   #62657
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The 747 was planned to be a cargo plane, and the width was to enable two standard pallets to be loaded flat on the cargo hold floor side by side, hence the width to give 10 seats and 2 aisles.
Not quite so.

Pan Am was the launch customer. The 747 was designed and built for Pan Am to replace the 707, with 150% greater passenger capacity than previous commercial airliners, a distinction it held for 37 years.

The 747-100 (the first 747) was not offered as a freighter, although some were converted after serving as passenger planes for many years.

The 747-200F was the first aircraft offered as a freighter, a version of the 747-200 passenger airliner, then the 747-200C, offered as a “Combi” to airline customers with removable seats on the main deck to allow hauling freight rather than passengers.

All 747 models since have been offered with freighter versions.

The current model, the 747-8 is a passenger airplane, and the 747-8F is the freighter version.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 02-16-2019 at 08:12 AM.
02-16-2019, 05:35 AM   #62658
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We don't watch a lot of TV...mainly a "serious show" later in the evening with tea...and then a funny show or two just before bed so we get away with unlimited bandwidth and the missus likes to have "anything" playing in the background while doing chores. We don't have a landline and only Netflix for TV (and youtube). Our service provider is Teksavvy (a smaller reseller) and for 10MB up and 1MB down plus Netflix plus two mobiles no data we pay $45 + $12 + $50 = grand total $107 a month for all....

Bob, that bar size issue, what is on that bar? Can you post a picture of it or tell us what is on the bar?
02-16-2019, 05:57 AM - 1 Like   #62659
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

DC3 - huge quantity and long service life -
There are many DC3 airplanes still in service today. More than 16,000 were built and it is estimated that more than 2,000 are still flying today, many operating in revenue producing roles.

Quite an accomplishment for an airplane design that is 84 years old.

- maker is now taken over by Boeing.
Actually Douglas Aircraft Company merged with McDonnell Aircraft in 1967.

Boeing merged with McDonnell Douglas in 1997.

02-16-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #62660
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Not quite so.

Pan Am was the launch customer. The 747 was designed and built for Pan Am to replace the 707, with 150% greater passenger capacity than previous commercial airliners, a distinction it held for 37 years.

The 747-100 (the first 747) was not offered as a freighter, although some were converted after serving as passenger planes for many years.

The 747-200F was the first aircraft offered as a freighter, then the 747-200C, offered as a “Combi” to airline customers with removable seats on the main deck to allow hauling freight rather than passengers.

All 747 models since have been offered with freighter versions.

The current model, the 747-8 is a passenger airplane, and the 747-8F is the freighter version.
Dad was working for the Ministry of Transport (DOT back then and Transport Canada now) at the time the 747 first came along. Boeing brought one to Dorval Airport and took a bunch of Montreal government officials and business leaders for a "maiden flight". I think I still have the plaque they gave him around somewhere.
02-16-2019, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #62661
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There are many DC3 airplanes still in service today. More than 16,000 were built and it is estimated that more than 2,000 are still flying today, many operating in revenue producing roles.

Quite an accomplishment for an airplane design that is 84 years old.
And as you are most likely quite aware, many have been converted to turbo making them an even better money maker, quieter, more powerful and fuel efficient
02-16-2019, 06:21 AM - 1 Like   #62662
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
And as you are most likely quite aware, many have been converted to turbo making them an even better money maker, quieter, more powerful and fuel efficient
Correct.

The radial engines are long out of production and rebuild parts getting scarce. So conversion to turboprop engines has ensured the DC3 airframe will continue to work in revenue producing roles well past the 100 year anniversary of a remarkable airplane.

Basler Aviation in Oshkosh has performed many conversions, which include a 40” stretch of the fuselage forward of the main wing, wing profile mods and structural strengthening of the wings and fuselage.

BSAS International in South Africa that performs the mods.

02-16-2019, 07:35 AM - 2 Likes   #62663
Veteran Member

WinBlows problem fixed!
My mistake was thinking of it as a bar at the top, it's just Windows tabs that didn't change in size when I used ctrl +/-
I went to display settings and the text size slider was all the way to the left, I placed it in the middle, hit apply, and Bingo! nice large tabs.
Maybe a bit too big and need a little more adjustment.
Thanks Racer and Mike, your posts made me look at this in a different light.
02-16-2019, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #62664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
WinBlows problem fixed!
My mistake was thinking of it as a bar at the top, it's just Windows tabs that didn't change in size when I used ctrl +/-
I went to display settings and the text size slider was all the way to the left, I placed it in the middle, hit apply, and Bingo! nice large tabs.
Maybe a bit too big and need a little more adjustment.
Thanks Racer and Mike, your posts made me look at this in a different light.
And now back to regularly scheduled bacon; which we had for breakfast this morning; with sunshine streaming through the window; lighting up the perpetually begging Shih Tzu
02-16-2019, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #62665
Veteran Member

And now back to regularly scheduled bacon; which we had for breakfast this morning; with sunshine streaming through the window; lighting up the perpetually begging Shih Tzu
We have sunshine too, glistening off of about 2 inches of fresh snow and a temp that's up to 22F.
Confession, no bacon this morning, crisp fried Spam, cheese, and egg sandwich.
02-16-2019, 08:04 AM - 2 Likes   #62666
Veteran Member

Shih Tzu
Watch it buddy, next you'll be working in the name of that one species of mushrooms.
02-16-2019, 08:13 AM - 1 Like   #62667
Veteran Member

I'll accompany you with a cup of smoked tea which kinda smells like bacon.
Usually, I keep this one for the evening but, heck, YOLO!

Last edited by Helios 1984; 02-16-2019 at 09:02 AM.
02-16-2019, 09:27 AM - 2 Likes   #62668
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Rats, here I spend a couple of days puking my guts out, and now I had a dozen pages to catch up. Is there another spamathon on?
02-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #62669
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
We have TV, VoIP phones, and internet through Spectrum cable (called Charter in our area) and knocking on $200 per month.
Hadn't checked the speed for awhile, currently it shows 44 down, 14 up.
My newish laptop has SSD, my first, and it blazes!
I pay about $50 for 350/20Mbps, but I got a combined deal through both the cooperative and my previous employer. I think ordinary price is more than double that.
02-16-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #62670
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Watching the Walsh Snooker Champs. Earlier, Ronnie O'Sullivan played a beautiful game. At the moment, it's Mark Williams (reigning world champion) playing Zhang. Both of them have been making the most unbelievable mistakes.
First match, Williams broke and sunk the white. They're now at two frames each.
O'Connor just lost to Bingham. Too bad. He's played fantastically well all week. Getting to the quarter finals isn't too shabby for someone not even ranked in the top 100, though.