Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #62686
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Look carefully at the picture. Looks like there was a rule that the attendant's skirt must end at near enough to the same height above the floor regardless of how tall the attendant was. Not like the old girl's school rules that the skirt must end a certain distance above the knee. Only two were significantly different.
So you're a leg man, eh?

02-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #62687
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look carefully at the picture. Looks like there was a rule that the attendant's skirt must end at near enough to the same height above the floor regardless of how tall the attendant was. Not like the old girl's school rules that the skirt must end a certain distance above the knee. Only two were significantly different.
Maybe.

But these weren't school girls, they were stewardesses. Each airline had (and probably still has) a dress code, and uniform requirements.

Probably only coincidence.

The JAL attendant is wearing a kimono, and the Air India attendant has a sari on. Both nearly touch the floor.

And one (I would guess the El Al airlines stewardess) has a head covering with only her face showing, somewhat typical of Muslim requirements for women's garb. Odd that her frock covers her only down to her knees though.

Notice also the variations in shoes, pumps, flats, short and tall heels.
02-17-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #62688
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Maybe.

But these weren't school girls, they were stewardesses. Each airline had (and probably still has) a dress code, and uniform requirements.

Probably only coincidence.

The JAL attendant is wearing a kimono, and the Air India attendant has a sari on. Both nearly touch the floor.

And one (I would guess the El Al airlines stewardess) has a head covering with only her face showing, somewhat typical of Muslim requirements for women's garb. Odd that her frock covers her only down to her knees though.

Notice also the variations in shoes, pumps, flats, short and tall heels.
1960s el al.uniform..isreal in general has been liberal on the dress front for women

02-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #62689
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And an employer's dress code is usually taken more seriously than the school one.

El Al is the Israeli airline so I would guess the head dress is not inspired by Islamic culture but rather something more generally middle eastern.

The two I meant as different were the Indian and Japanese.

I have noticed that several of the east Asian airline uniforms have several 'time of flight' variations. Singapore Airlines (not in picture) change flat shoes at certain times and heels at others - most likely related to safety requirements during ground movements. And China Airlines had a fairly complex change of boarding and exit dress, changing from quite elegant jackets to a rather smocklike thing for the in flight service.

But one airline to see is Eva. Unlike the airlines I have seen, where the flight staff walk to the gate in small groups (2 or 3) and appear to be like friends walking through the airport, Eva (airline owned by the Evergreen container shipping people) line a flight crew up in pairs led by the pilots and then the senior attendants and then the lower ranks. They would wait at checkpoints, such as security or escalators, so the whole formation could be reassembled to continue the march to the gate. Their uniform was white tops with Irish green normal length skirts with orange feature pieces. Quite something to see in the Taipei airport where they had many flights, and so many processions of staff. I guess that restricted their opportunities for duty free shopping on their work trips, which many airline staff seem to take advantage of.

02-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #62690
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
1960s el al.uniform..isreal in general has been liberal on the dress front for women

That head dress reminds me of the head dress of one of the northern Italian army units. I saw them live at some of the tourist attractions in Milan. (Photos prohibited, as is usual with security checkpoints.) And that makes me think the coat was inspired by the WWI coats of the same group.
02-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #62691
Veteran Member

That head dress reminds me of the head dress of one of the northern Italian army units. I saw them live at some of the tourist attractions in Milan. (Photos prohibited, as is usual with security checkpoints.) And that makes me think the coat was inspired by the WWI coats of the same group.
well i imagine in early days el al employees came out of and were still reservist for military... need to read up

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2019 at 11:25 ----------

but in general it falls in line with mid 60s mod fashion styles too
02-17-2019, 10:07 AM   #62692
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Oops!

My mistake.

I should have paid more attention to that.

The frock certainly looks in line with the El Al dress you picture, but the head cover doesn't fit with that a Jewish woman might wear.

02-17-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #62693
Veteran Member

Oops!

My mistake.

I should have paid more attention to that.

The frock certainly looks in line with the El Al dress you picture, but the head cover doesn't fit with that a Jewish woman might wear.
in fact frequently jewish women who observe just wear a wig . only the smallmorthodox community gets more extreme (torontos largest jewish and orthodox communities are right where i work

02-17-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #62694
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if I got them all, but:

Pan Am (the airline that actually funded the design and development of the original 747)

Delta

AA

United

Braniff International

Eastern

JAL

TWA

Lufthansa

BOAC

KLM

El Al

Aer Lingus

SAS

Air Canada (eh?)

Sabena

Iberia

Air India

National

World Airways

South African

Air France

Swissair

Qantas

Northwest

Continental

That is 26, and I count 27 logos.

This image from the launch shows only 26 flight attendants representing each airline.
Very nicely done! When we were kids, there was some filling station giveaway with plastic logos of each airline. Can't remember the details - I was very young.
02-17-2019, 01:05 PM - 4 Likes   #62695
Veteran Member

For Rupert.

02-17-2019, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #62696
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
For Rupert.
What airline is she a stewardess for?
02-17-2019, 01:11 PM - 3 Likes   #62697
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

By the way.

Today is the Superbowl of racing, the Great American Race, the Daytona 500.

In fact they just gave the command to start engines, so the pace laps will be getting underway momentarily.

Today is the culmination of Speedweeks, which began a few weeks ago with the 24 Hours of Daytona, then last weekend the Clash, followed by Thursday's Twin 150 Qualifying races, the Pickups ran Friday, the Grand National on Saturday, and today, the Big One with the Cup Cars.

The racing season in the Northern Hemisphere has begun.

Strap in, mash the loud pedal, and no whining.

Oh yeah.
02-17-2019, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #62698
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The global racing season begins in Australia on 17th March!

😜
02-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #62699
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The global racing season begins in Australia on 17th March!

😜
The beginning of autumn?

I thought the racing season in the Southern Hemisphere began in September.

Or is the weather good enough year ‘round that y’all can race 12 months through?
02-17-2019, 02:51 PM - 5 Likes   #62700
Veteran Member

What airline is she a stewardess for?
MHA
Mile High Airlines