Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #63331
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ah the weather

BOM people work to a 24hr give or take clock ..but we only worry about the weather when we are awake,so yes to us they are wrong

Dave

03-03-2019, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #63332
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Ah the weather

BOM people work to a 24hr give or take clock ..but we only worry about the weather when we are awake,so yes to us they are wrong

Dave
I don't know what clocks our various forecasters work to, but it seems like there's more than timing at play...

This week's BBC weather forecast:

This week's Met Office weather forecast:

My weather forecast:

I can tell you right now which of the above has the highest chance of accuracy...
03-03-2019, 03:13 PM - 2 Likes   #63333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Or with a splash of skim milk.

Not having skim milk in Germany, I took it as a joke until I moved to the UK, tried skim milk, and realised it's the truth. It is white, but tastes just like water Which begs the question: whyyyyyyyy?!
03-03-2019, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #63334
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back Fox!
Sorry, your video can't be shown (it says) in my country.

got one though from youtube:

03-03-2019, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #63335
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Not having skim milk in Germany, I took it as a joke until I moved to the UK, tried skim milk, and realised it's the truth. It is white, but tastes just like water Which begs the question: whyyyyyyyy?!
I'd generally agree. Skimmed milk here typically has red labelling, semi-skimmed has green, and full-fat has blue. My favourite is full-fat, though I typically stick to semi-skimmed. I really don't like skimmed. But there's a fourth kind... usually labelled in yellow... which is 1% fat. It's not as good as semi-skimmed, but tastes soooooooo much better than skimmed. That 1% fat really makes a huge difference in flavour and creaminess. And it works very well for cooking and baking, too... especially if you throw in a big nob of butter Seriously, though, the 1% stuff is pretty decent if you're watching your fat intake...
03-03-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #63336
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skim milk is milk flavored water.
03-03-2019, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #63337
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Peculiarly, I like almost every type of cheese, yoghurt, cream and butter, but I can't stand milk. Go figure.

03-03-2019, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #63338
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Skim milk is milk flavored water.
Over here, they left out the milk flavour...
03-03-2019, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #63339
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd generally agree. Skimmed milk here typically has red labelling, semi-skimmed has green, and full-fat has blue. My favourite is full-fat, though I typically stick to semi-skimmed. I really don't like skimmed. But there's a fourth kind... usually labelled in yellow... which is 1% fat. It's not as good as semi-skimmed, but tastes soooooooo much better than skimmed. That 1% fat really makes a huge difference in flavour and creaminess. And it works very well for cooking and baking, too... especially if you throw in a big nob of butter Seriously, though, the 1% stuff is pretty decent if you're watching your fat intake...
Having drunk my tea and coffee with skimmed milk for decades, anything with any more fat in it just tastes "yukky" - almost the same with any drink with sugar in it (I REALLY CAN'T stand "real" coke - tastes even more "yukky" )

PS: I can drink fairly strong black coffee, but tea without even a semblance of milk (i.e. skimmed milk!) is something that I can't take
03-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #63340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigmackcam Quote
over here, they left out the milk flavour...
lol...:d
03-03-2019, 04:10 PM   #63341
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Peculiarly, I like almost every type of cheese, yoghurt, cream and butter, but I can't stand milk. Go figure.
I can tolerate milk in my coffee, that's about it.
03-03-2019, 04:17 PM - 2 Likes   #63342
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Soo, anyone else like green-pea soup with pieces of ham.
My recipe goes straight to it:

Split Pea and Ham Soup.

I think it is time.
03-03-2019, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #63343
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
Having drunk my tea and coffee with skimmed milk for decades, anything with any more fat in it just tastes "yukky" - almost the same with any drink with sugar in it (I REALLY CAN'T stand "real" coke" - tastes even more "yukky" )

PS: I can drink failry strong black coffee, but tea without even a semblance of milk (i.e. skimmed milk!) is something that I can't take
I can understand how someone's palette changes over time.

Until my early 20s, I hated diet drinks... but my ex-wife got me into Diet Coke, and since then I won't drink anything but zero sugar drinks. I still like the taste of real Coke, and real sugar. I just don't use it.

I typically drink my coffee and tea, eat my cereal, make my porridge, and cook with either semi-skimmed or 1% fat milk. But my parents still drink full-fat milk, and I occasionally treat myself to a drop of it. I like coffee black, too - especially if it's really good coffee (the beans I buy are great, so I'll drink that coffee black - but if I'm having Nescafe instant, I always add milk).

I love butter, and that's one area I won't compromise. I never found a low-fat spread, or any other non-butter spread, that I really like. I'd rather have butter, and use less of it. And I always cook with real butter, unless oil is more appropriate to the recipe.

If I'm eating meat - and I frequently do (I mention that to benefit my continued inclusion in this thread) - I like cuts with a reasonable amount of fat in them. With steak, I like good marbling... a simple rump is my favourite. With bacon, I like streaky. When I cook a chicken, I like the underside meat, the legs and wings best. With pork, I like belly cuts... or, if it's a pork roast, I like a decent layer of fat that will crisp up into crackling. WIth lamb, well, I'm good with anything

It must sound like I'm a "fat fiend", but I'm not. I eat them in moderation, whether in dairy or meat. But I do love the taste of animal fats.

I can (and do) happily eat vegetarian dishes too, relying on vegetable, olive and ground nut oils...
03-03-2019, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #63344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My recipe goes straight to it:

Split Pea and Ham Soup.

I think it is time.
Perfect winter-time, gray damp weather comfort food.
03-03-2019, 04:23 PM - 2 Likes   #63345
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It must sound like I'm a "fat fiend", but I'm not. I eat them in moderation, whether in dairy or meat. But I do love the taste of animal fats.

I can (and do) happily eat vegetarian dishes too, relying on vegetable, olive and ground nut oils...
Further to the above...

Good quality animal and vegetable fats are essential in food. Otherwise, what could possibly offset fruit and tannins in the accompanying wine?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-03-2019 at 04:30 PM.