Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108795 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #64141
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
They really need to go back to these. My wife's uncle logged thousands of hours piloting these while he was in the Air Force.

Inflight entertainment consisted of watching for hydraulic leaks.

03-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #64142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
ha well played

03-13-2019, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #64143
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They really need to go back to these. My wife's uncle logged thousands of hours piloting these while he was in the Air Force.

Yeah, my dad worked on a lot of those in The Pacific.
03-13-2019, 05:42 PM - 4 Likes   #64144
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In other news......
We're in the midst of a $&@#+& blizzard!

03-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #64145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In other news......
Yeah, there was a brief news item here this morning on Colorado being slammed this year. I imagine you’re also in the basic path.
03-13-2019, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #64146
dbs
Pentaxian

The closest to a blizzard is Lake Eyre filling up.....slowly

Dave
03-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #64147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
The closest to a blizzard is Lake Eyre filling up.....slowly

Dave
That is something when it happens. Charter flight to get a look and all that.

03-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #64148
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
That is something when it happens. Charter flight to get a look and all that.
Hi Tim

It is happening again, thats about 3 times in 10 years.....thank you Queensland

Dave
03-14-2019, 02:17 AM - 3 Likes   #64149
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Very nice! Is that the one with the folding wing tips?
Yes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPod touch  Photo 

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-14-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Stoopit iPod
03-14-2019, 02:21 AM   #64150
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In other news......
Guess that means you will have to get up two hours early and shovel the walk before heading to work, eh?
03-14-2019, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #64151
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

You realise how big that building is when you realise that the 777x is 76.7m long, and the tail height is 19.7m. So, that's about as tall as a six storey building.
Today it is the largest building in the world.

I first entered the place back when they only made the 747 there, and had just broke ground to add on for the 767, which had not yet started production. I went in on an engineering students only tour. Somewhere I have a bunch of pictures I shot (they actually allowed us to bring our cameras in) of the 747 assembly line.

When first opened they discovered a problem with the building design. Being a large uninsulated metal box, with no hvac systems the humid Pacific Northwest air condensed on the ceiling. There were ‘rain storms’ inside.

Some fans were added to circulate the air and that relived the indoor mini weather systems.

Today there are five airplanes manufactured there, and the building had nearly tripled in size since first opening in the late 1960’s.
03-14-2019, 03:39 AM - 2 Likes   #64152
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually my uncle's first coast to coast flight was on a DC-3 in the late 1940's. My uncle had never flown before. While over the southwest the left side engine started to backfire and shoot flames out. Next to him was a woman with a small child. She asked if this was normal. He assured her it was to keep her calm. After a bit the pilot feathered the engine and announced that they had to shut it down, but the plane was perfectly safe with one engine and they continued flying. Shortly afterwards they reached their next stop. There a new engine was trucked out to the plane, the bad engine was replaced and they finished their journey.. Air travel has improved a bit since then.

As to hydraulic leaks, in 2000 I was in Rochester, NY on a Sunday afternoon for the first leg of a trip to Vancouver, BC. After the plane was loaded, the pilot announced that they had finished their last leg wit ha little less hydraulic fluid than they had started with. There would be a slight delay while they checked this out.

After a few minutes the pilot came back on, and announced that everyone was to gather up their carry on luggage and depart the plane as quickly as possible. When I got back in the terminal I looked at the plane. Hydraulic fluid was pouring out of the plane ( 737) and there was already a puddle under the plane as big as the plane itself. Whoever caught the original problem may have saved a lot of lives that day.

As it was already late Sunday afternoon, there were very few ticket agents at the airport and United only had two people to reschedule over 100 passengers. So I started walking down the line asking various airlines if they could get me to Chicago by a certain time so I could catch the plane from there to Vancouver. Made it with a half hour to spare.
03-14-2019, 03:58 AM - 3 Likes   #64153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot to add that the C47/DC-3 in that photo is sporting the markings it had on June 6, 1944 when paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division jumped from it into Normandy. In 2014, the plane was flown back to Europe as part of the 70th Anniversary ceremonies and flew over the area where it dropped it's troops on that day. In the co-pilot seat was one of the paratroopers who jumped from the plane that day. Here is a shot of it flying over Normandy with a C-130 as a companion.

03-14-2019, 05:26 AM - 2 Likes   #64154
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
She's a beauty, and who needs a kaythree with a shot like that with an apple.
Yup, agreed, going out to buy a cell phone and throwing out all my Pentax kit. Unless someone wants it...nah, why would anyone want a kaythree...in the bin it goes.
03-14-2019, 05:35 AM   #64155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Dad too. He worked for the Department of Transport calibrating Instrument Landing Systems in one. I even got to take the wheel while flying up North with him once.
« AF1 vs AF2 | - »