Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 108819 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #64306
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I accompanied mrs monochrome to a preview for a coming auction today. It is the first sunny day in weeks and weeks and I had planned to get out with cameras, But an ask is an ask and she drove, so I said OK even though she told me there is no photographing allowed. It was actually fun to see how she wanders around with the catalog and a pen, inspecting furniture and artworks, making notes, shaking her head, crossing things out, writing down her prices. The other viewers and overheard conversations with the gallery experts were fascinating. My employer has a number of corporate artworks in the upcoming auction. Who Knew they owned great American Western art?

Some of the pieces were simply gorgeous - alas, since no cameras or phones permitted I can’t show you (they want to control images for some reason). Thankfully we stopped at an estate sale on the way back from the auction house in a gated 1890 ‘Place’ that was the neighborhood of choice for St. Louis’ business titans at the turn of the last century. I imagine I’ll stop there with my Shift Lens and K-1 some time soon. I could have had a camera for that stop and we ‘discussed’ why I should always bring a camera when she asks men to join her on a jaunt . . . . .
What a great experience to see things like this. Not something everyone gets to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It was good to just get out of the house and do something new and diverting though, and on the way back we had a good discussion about rescuing old things for the sake of preserving their history, and I was able to ask, “So how much different is why you rescue furniture from why I collect cameras and lenses? You sit on your rescues or hang them in our house, and I take pictures with mine”.

I actually got a, “Yeah, I get it,” response.
And, you are making great images of the old stuff with those cameras and lenses, right?

03-17-2019, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #64307
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
The missus does love me...she made a trip top Costco yesterday with her daughter...some of the bacon was fried up this morning...top shelf!
Not sure if it's the same Costco Kirkland bacon we get here (do Canadian pigs taste different?) but it's the best store bought bacon we can find.
Have to say it, Mrs Bob prefers it over mine, mainly because I slice mine thick, she likes it thinner so she can cook it to crisp faster.
03-17-2019, 02:26 PM - 5 Likes   #64308
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Looks like that Porterhouse gets to age one more day.
Mrs Bob went with her gal friends to see Beautiful, the Carole King musical, and they decided to have dinner afterwards.
So I'll grill some chicken wings for just me.
If you boil them first they'll be really tender.
03-17-2019, 02:37 PM - 2 Likes   #64309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote

03-17-2019, 02:47 PM - 5 Likes   #64310
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

At my Mum & Dad's request, I did belly pork, asparagus and mashed potato again for lunch today. Cooked the asparagus same way as last time... in a mix of olive oil, butter and the fat drained from the (seasoned) belly pork, along with some minced garlic. Actually, I was a little too generous with the garlic, IMHO... four large cloves instead of two previously (I think). My folks didn't seem to notice or mind, though. They left nothing on their plates and were very complimentary. But I could taste garlic for most of the afternoon. Meh... we won't be catching any colds for a while
03-17-2019, 03:12 PM - 6 Likes   #64311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
garlic
03-17-2019, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #64312
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
A pressure cooker would be perfect for the "pre cook" mode.

03-17-2019, 03:31 PM - 3 Likes   #64313
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

At my Mum & Dad's request, I did belly pork, asparagus and mashed potato again for lunch today. Cooked the asparagus same way as last time... in a mix of olive oil, butter and the fat drained from the (seasoned) belly pork, along with some minced garlic. Actually, I was a little too generous with the garlic, IMHO... four large cloves instead of two previously (I think). My folks didn't seem to notice or mind, though. They left nothing on their plates and were very complimentary. But I could taste garlic for most of the afternoon. Meh... we won't be catching any colds for a while
Garlic is good for arthritic joints.

I use it copiously in my kitchen.
03-17-2019, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #64314
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
A couple of 1 lb. each slabs of cured pork belly are currently getting apple wood smoked into bacon.
Tomorrow's dinner will be this 1.65 lb. Porterhouse I found in the short dated meat section.
Guess it didn't sell due to the fat running through it graded CAB Choice, but looks near Prime with all of the marbling.
Juicy comes to mind!
03-17-2019, 03:45 PM   #64315
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Kyle Busch has just tied the King with his 200th career win, at California Speedway.
03-17-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #64316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A pressure cooker would be perfect for the "pre cook" mode.
03-17-2019, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #64317
Veteran Member

joints
I use it copiously in my kitchen.
Must inspire some serious munchie dishes.
03-17-2019, 04:04 PM - 5 Likes   #64318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CharLac Quote
The missus does love me...she made a trip top Costco yesterday with her daughter...some of the bacon was fried up this morning...top shelf!
Had bacon with eggs and Finnish rye topped with Finlandia swiss for breakfast yesterday.
With 11-18.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
03-17-2019, 04:06 PM - 6 Likes   #64319
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's no such thing as "too generous with the garlic". It's akin with "too many lenses" or "too much bacon" or "too many Fords" or "too much horizontal Tango" or "too many bicycles".
03-17-2019, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #64320
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
There's no such thing as "too generous with the garlic". It's akin with "too many lenses" or "too much bacon" or "too many Fords" or "too much horizontal Tango" or "too many bicycles".
Ha! The problem is, too much garlic might limit the likelihood of "horizontal tango" unless both parties ingest it, or otherwise copious amounts of mouthwash are used Whenever I've dated, I've tried to stay clear of garlic unless my date has gone for it. When she has, I've lifted that limitation - and also scored her an extra couple of points for culinary preferences